Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

always blows hot air no matter what...why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phil946 is an unknown quantity at this point
always blows hot air no matter what...why?

97 hatchback dx
even when I put it to cold air with the a/c on it still blows hot air. ideas?
Old 01-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: always blows hot air no matter what...why?

When is the last time the coolant was changed?
Old 01-24-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

wait, actual hot air, as if you turned on the heater to full blast? or hot air as "it's not cold like a/c should be, but it's blowing car-room temperature" air?
Old 01-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phil946 is an unknown quantity at this point

with controls on cold it still blows just as hot as when it was on the hot setting. not sure when the coolant was changed, i just got the car a few weeks ago. could that be a cause?
Old 01-24-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

could be a fault in the switch or solenoid, or a stuck valve that allows your engine coolant to go to the heater core. Sounds to me like it's stuck in the open position, sending coolant through your heater core. My theory.
Old 01-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If you just got your car a few weeks ago and you don't have a complete service history the first thing you need to do is change all you fluids; coolant, ps, brake, transmission and oil.

The first thing I would do before anything else is change your coolant, because that may very well solve the problem and it should be done anyway. If thats not the solution then theres a problem related to the heater core like Josh said.