Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 DX Hatchback: Whenever I step on the gas pedal I hear a metallic "clucking" noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paulcarr is an unknown quantity at this point
96 DX Hatchback: Whenever I step on the gas pedal I hear a metallic "clucking" noise

I have a 1996 5-Speed Manual Civic DX Hatchback that I bought new and have always taken very good care. I just had $1000 worth of work done in November (replaced the clutch, ball joint, exhaust manifold), which supposedly brought the car back to "like new" condition, and then a month later this new noise started up.

It's a little difficult to describe exactly what I'm hearing. It's sort of sounds like a light metallic knock, but not quite. It's the sound you would get if you took a wooden spoon and hit a big empty metal pot and combined that with that funny "clucking" sound you can make with your tongue (almost like a very light single horse clop, but metallic) .

At first I thought it might have something to do with the new clutch because sometimes it would happen right after I shifted and released it, but it was hard to tell exactly what the source was due to the initial intermittent nature of the problem. Then right around Christmas, I noticed that the sound was happening every time I stepped on the gas pedal, even when I wasn't changing gears. It doesn't seem to affect my shifting or acceleration but the sound drives me crazy and it feels like the car is running lousy. Any idea what it might be?

Last edited by paulcarr; 01-04-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 96 DX Hatchback: Whenever I step on the gas pedal I hear a metallic "clucking" no

check ur heat shield as it tends to rust away and falls apart
Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 96 DX Hatchback: Whenever I step on the gas pedal I hear a metallic "clucking" no

well its hard to tell cuz somtimes it will get louder and u will be able to source out ur problem,
when stepping on the gas ur engine generally pulling the chassis with it
check ur motor mount check ball joints check sway bar bushings
i had a clunk noise when releasing the gas pedal and also
everytime i hit a bump it drive me nuts for 2 years till i came to find out it was my sway bar bushing and linkage
the noise of hell went away, also check ur strut or it could be broken spring.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

I don't think that it's the heat shield or another loose part otherwise I would hear the noise whenever I go over a bumps or when the car shakes. It only happens when I step on the gas pedal and it's now gotten to the point where I can make the sound happen whenever I to want just by stepping on the gas pedal, almost like a drummer kicking a bass drum pedal!

I listened to it again today real closely and the best way I can describe it is that right when I step on the gas pedal it sounds like a small object is lightly flung against the inside of a hollow sheet metal pan, which makes me think that it could be in the exhaust system somewhere. Sometimes it will hit twice in a row but it's always right after I step on the gas. It's hard to tell exactly where but the sound appears to be coming from the middle of the car right under the stick shift. I also hear the same type of noise when I start the car and when I'm shifting so then I think it might also have something to do with the transmission. I just don't know!

Last edited by paulcarr; 01-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

the only thing i would know ur peddle would come to play is the throttle body spring cable it gets release
Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by asianboy781
the only thing i would know ur peddle would come to play is the throttle body spring cable it gets release
You know, it could be something like that because when I step on the pedal it sort of sounds like a spring-loaded mechanism shooting a tiny object into a hollow metal pan. I will look into it - thanks!

Last edited by paulcarr; 01-07-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

Strangest thing - sometime within the past two weeks the "clucking" sound completely disappeared. It just went away! Even if it's very quiet I still can't hear anything like I described earlier. The overall engine noise is maybe a little louder than normal but there is no more clicking, clacking, or clucking!

Since the first of the year we've been having temperatures in the single digits and down below zero so that might have something to do with it or maybe whatever was loose and flapping around down there finally broke off.

I'm still going to bring it to my mechanic but I'm not in as much of a rush as I was before. Does this new info help any with the diagnosis?

Last edited by paulcarr; 01-25-2011 at 11:23 PM.