Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 civic Rough Idle help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough
2000 civic Rough Idle help!

Ok so i read alot of other threads on rough idles and got some good ideas. Heres what I have done so far:
- Replaced Air filter
- Fuel filter
- Cleaned Throttle body
- Oil Change
- ATF Change

From What i remember it started to idle rough after the ATF Change, during that time i also noticed that my coolant reservoir was nearly empty so i added some coolant to that. So question, could too much ATF in the tranny cause a rough idle? Im pretty sure its right at the max level, I had trouble reading the level but i think i got a pretty accurate reading. Im really stumped on what could cause this low idle. I did reset the ECU about a month back, maybe i did the process wrong? Also I'm sitting at about 198,000 km right now, but this car is MINT, very faithfully taken care of. Thanks for any help
Old 12-20-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 civic Rough Idle help!

did you try cleaning the IAC (idle air valve) and those other idle parts bolted to throttle body or intake mani? the IAC has two coolant hoses going to it. its also possible when you were low on coolant, it affected the function of this valve. you may also have air trapped in the cooling system. ATF fluid should not affect idle. but you do need to make sure it is not overfilled. check the level after the car has been driven for at least 30 mins in the summer or longer in winter. it must be fully warmed up. with car still running, check the dipstick a few times. pull it out very fast to get a good reading.
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Ok sounds good, I read the manual for the 2000 civic and it said to fully warm the car up and park it with the engine off and check? I did it that way and its sitting right at the full mark, after driving it for about an hour back from work. But thanks I will check that valve. how do you clean it? I havent looked at it yet so its kind of a blind question, but anyways
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Also if there is air is there a way to bleed it out of the cooling system? I have only ever done brake bleeding lol
Old 12-20-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah you have to raise the car up in the front to bleed the air out. go for a drive to warm up the car, then park on steep incline or raise the front. very carefully put a towel over the radiator cap and remove it with the car still running. the towel should catch all the coolant that sprays out. with cap off, turn heater on hot and max fan. keep the coolant level full in the radiator and watch for air bubbles. you can squeeze and tap the radiator hoses to speed up the process. once it seems like most of the air bubbles stopped, put the cap back on.

you can clean the iac valve by spraying with carb cleaner and using qtips.
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

Cool thanks man ill give it a try. I mean so long as the car isnt dieing on me im not too worried about it, but its kind of annoying. Well more than kind of lol
Old 12-21-2010
Premium Member

eventually it could start to die if the valve gets clogged enough that it cant move. that valve is the only thing keeping the engine running when you dont press the gas.
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Yea so I know this has been a LONG time since the start of this thread but, I FINALLY figured out why it was idling so bad. This is just silly and I feel retarded for missing it but it was the throttle body butterfly plate in the intake manifold hahahaahha. So it was really dirty and I really didn't check it until it started to stick on cold days. Thats when i decided to get some TB cleaner and cleaned it out for about 10 minutes with a clean rag. And VOILA! idle is smooth again. It feels like a new car. Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone else will gain some knowledge from this haha.