Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PLEASE HELP!!! 1997 Honda Civic DX turns over but wont start... PLAEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19civic97 is an unknown quantity at this point
PLEASE HELP!!! 1997 Honda Civic DX turns over but wont start... PLAEASE HELP!!!

Ok heres the deal... My Girl has a 1997 civic DX. The car turns over but won't start. I have checked the car out to the best I can. There are 3 things that I know make a car run. Air, Fuel, and Spark. It's is getting plenty of air. So now I hae Fuel and Spark left. It is getting Spark maybe not the best but it is getting plenty. I took off the Dis. Cap and found a green corrosion on the termanals so i cleaned them off with some sandpaper. I also cleaned the rotor button. the plugs and wires are only two months old along with the button, ignitor, coil, fuel pump, and fuel filter (can you tell i had this same problem a couple months back, car kinda magiclly fixed it's self). ok now i checked for fuel. i loosened the hose that runs from fuel filter to fuel rail and turn the key on and got plenty of fuel spray. i'm not sure but it almost look like to much. so I tightend it back down and opened the throttle plate and there was about 1/4-1/2in of fuel sitting in the throttle body. I pulled the plugs and they where wet. so i let them air out and used some paper towels and got the fuel outta the throttle body. put everything back together. The car started and the died instantly. Also when car does start sometimes it runs fine and others when you give it throttle it dies out and burps through the intake. I'm almost narrowed down to either the distributor or a electrical problem... PLEASE HELP!!!! if you have any other questions PLEASE ask them!!!!
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: PLEASE HELP!!! 1997 Honda Civic DX turns over but wont start... PLAEASE HELP!!!

You really need to connect a pressure gauge to the fuel line. Just because there is fuel coming out doesn't mean that fuel pressure is good. You can get one for like $12 at Harbor Freight.

That being said it sounds like a bad or leaking injector or a bad fuel pressure regulator (one reason it would backfire into the intake).

* Seriously, buy a service manual. It will give you step by step instructions on how to troubleshoot. http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...051&Style=helm
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! 1997 Honda Civic DX turns over but wont start... PLAEASE HELP!!!

any idea of what the pressure should be? I have one at work. Thank you BTW!!!
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

using the extention as a stetiscope trick make me believe that 2 and 4 injectors are not fireing i hear the ticking coming from 1 and 3 alittle in 2 and none in 4
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 19civic97
any idea of what the pressure should be? I have one at work. Thank you BTW!!!
No, sorry. If I had to guess, I would say around 40 psi.

Edit: If the pressure is to high it's the pressure regulator, if it's to low it's a bad fuel pump or clogged filter.

Last edited by lazlong; 12-07-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 19civic97
using the extention as a stetiscope trick make me believe that 2 and 4 injectors are not fireing i hear the ticking coming from 1 and 3 alittle in 2 and none in 4
You can replace the bad injector(s) but, a lot of times the new injector wants more fuel than the old ones and ends up causing mis-fires and such. I would strongly recommend replacing all the injectors if that is the culprit. I would also make double sure it's the injectors because they're $120 each (and that's the cheap internet price).

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

Thank you i have another 1997 i can get my hands on to barrow from peter to pay paul
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

leezydx is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, sometimes with Hondas, if you happened to run out of gas the fuel system needs to be bled.
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

lovenwaves182 is an unknown quantity at this point

personally iv had a similar problem occur,but the problem is that there could be various reasons as to why it turns,but doesnt start.when i had the problem it was because a terminal on my battery was bad.which could cause the terminal connectors to come loose.also if your distributor cap is not delivering what it should that could be an issue.Fuel delivery im sort of going against being the problem.i feel it would be a little farfetched
Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

Ok guys, thanks for all the Help! But it ended up being a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator. $50 and she's as good as new. The Diaphame in it broke. I pulled the vaccume hose off and smelled fuel and when i went to start the car it sprayed fuel out of the vac side.