Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Interference engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fivespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Interference engine

a friend emailed me a question:
Is the engine in a 1998 Honda Civic an interference engine?
What does this mean? I don't pretend to know everything but shouldn't i know this?
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fivespeed
a friend emailed me a question:
Is the engine in a 1998 Honda Civic an interference engine?
What does this mean? I don't pretend to know everything but shouldn't i know this?
i've never heard this term.. why dont' you ask that tayler chick.. er.. guy.. er.. whatever it is.. he seems to know everything
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

Tayler can only hope to improve
yep i do know everything as a matter of fact. ****ing smartass. Anyway ive never heard of one.
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

imported_Tricky is an unknown quantity at this point
Rather than use a steel timing chain, interference engines may use a rubber timing belt with its limited life, whereas steel timing belts typically last 150,000 to 200,000 miles or more.

Valves open further in an interference engine and project further into the combustion chamber than in a 'free-running' engine. This allows outside air at atmospheric pressure flow faster into the combustion chamber through the larger valve opening. The engine can therefore inhale more air, be a little smaller, and still create as much power while reducing its manufactured cost and also guaranteeing future repair business for its dealer.
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tricky
Rather than use a steel timing chain, interference engines may use a rubber timing belt with its limited life, whereas steel timing belts typically last 150,000 to 200,000 miles or more.

Valves open further in an interference engine and project further into the combustion chamber than in a 'free-running' engine. This allows outside air at atmospheric pressure flow faster into the combustion chamber through the larger valve opening. The engine can therefore inhale more air, be a little smaller, and still create as much power while reducing its manufactured cost and also guaranteeing future repair business for its dealer.
wow.. now if someone had said does it have a timing belt or chain, i would have understood.. do you know why it is called that? becaue that doesn't seem to make sense... to call it an interference engine.. please explain if you can.. and as far as the origional question... yes it is...
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

CG99 is an unknown quantity at this point
From what i gather its called interference because its not "free running" as that description states. If its not free running, then its being interfered with.
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CG99
From what i gather its called interference because its not "free running" as that description states. If its not free running, then its being interfered with.
ok well then i guess i should state what does it refer to as free running.. i dont' understand how a timing belt would have any more interferance on anything thatn a chain.. other than maybe your wallet...
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

Darth is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, I dont get how the material of the timing belt/chain can affect the running of the valves.
Is there a mechanic in the house??
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

pinkdoglips420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Difference between "interference" and "non-interference"

"Interference" means that if the timing belt/ chain breaks, the valves will collide with the piston heads, usually causing a pretty big mess in the top end of an engine; usually the death of most honda engines that this happens to. Non-interference (usually in bigger v6/v8 engines) means that there is enough clearance between the valves and cylinder heads and if the belt/ chain breaks, the engine simply dies because of lack of exhaust/ air intake regulation.
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

ljartigas is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Interference engine

Hi Everyone

So yesterday I was climbing a hill in my 98 civic and the engine died. Today friend of mine who is a mechanic saw the car and said the timing belt broke.

What should I do now? What should I expect?

thanks guys, happy new years

If there is damage to the valves and cylinder heads, how can I go about fixing this?