8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Oil in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chihuahuamama is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Oil in trunk

I spilled 2 quarts of engine oil in my trunk. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it but nothing works. I'd like to remove the carpet from the middle flap covering the spare tire, but am not sure how to go about it. It appears to be glued on. If I take it off, do I glue on replacement carpet? What kind of glue should I use?
Old 07-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil in trunk

If it's the style I'm thinking of, the carpet is adhered to a thin fiberboard or pressboard that covers the spare tire. You may pull the entire piece out of the trunk (single push pin holds it to the floor on some models), you might do whatever you can to get the oil out of the carpet (Simple green? Dry cleaning fluid? Dawn dish soap?)...

..then let the whole thing dry on a flat surface so the board doesn't warp so much?
Old 07-29-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Some Dawn and a steam cleaner is going to be your best shot IMO. Even then it may jot come out all the way.
Old 07-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Grab a clean one at a junkyard?