DIY - COOLANT Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
DIY - COOLANT Change

As requested, its late but better than never,

THIS IS A DRAIN AND FILL, NOT A FLUSH.

Honda Civic 2006
<META name=author content="HONDA MOTOR Co.,Ltd."><META content=text/css http-equiv=Content-Style-Type><META content=text/javascript http-equiv=Content-Script-Type>Coolant Replacement

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i010 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>1.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i020 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>2.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Remove the radiator cap.

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i030 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>3.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Loosen the drain plug (A), and drain the coolant.

<INPUT title="Open the figure" src="../../PNG/CTL/ILSTSHOW.PNG" type=image></INPUT>
<NOBR>A</NOBR>

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i040 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>4.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug.

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i050 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>5.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Remove the reserve tank, and drain the coolant, then reinstall the reserve tank.

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i060 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>6.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Fill the reserve tank to the MAX mark (A) with genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL999-9001).

<INPUT title="Open the figure" src="../../PNG/CTL/ILSTSHOW.PNG" type=image></INPUT>
<NOBR>A</NOBR>

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i070 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>7.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Pour genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL999-9001) into the radiator up to the base of the filler neck.

NOTE:
  • Always use genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/ Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL999-9001). Using a non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail.
  • Genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 is a mixture of 50 % antifreeze and 50 % water. Do not add water.
<TABLE class=None cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Engine Coolant Capacities (Including the reserve tank capacity of 0.4 L (0.11 US gal, 0.09 Imp gal)) </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>M/T: </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>After Coolant Change:
4.3 L (1.14 US gal, 0.95 Imp gal)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>After Engine Overhaul:
6.6 L (1.74 US gal, 1.45 Imp gal)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>A/T with heater: </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>After Coolant Change:
4.2 L (1.11 US gal, 0.92 Imp gal)
6.5 L (1.72 US gal, 1.43 Imp gal)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>A/T without heater: </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>After Coolant Change:
3.6 L (0.95 US gal, 0.79 Imp gal)
5.9 L (1.56 US gal, 1.30 Imp gal)

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i080 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>8.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Loosely install the radiator cap.

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i090 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>9.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Start the engine, and let it run until it warms up (the radiator fan comes on at least twice).

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i100 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>10.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Turn off the engine. Check the level in the radiator and add Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 if needed.

<TABLE width="100%" cols=2><TBODY><TR><TD id=i110 vAlign=top width="1%" noWrap>11.</TD><TD vAlign=top width="99%">Put the radiator cap on tightly, then run the engine again, and check for leaks.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-16-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added DIY on title
Old 08-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RangeRider is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY - COOLANT Change

There is an engine block coolant drain bolt on the front of the engine facing the radiator to the left of and below the EGR valve. It is specifically mentioned in the Honda Service Manual 2006-2010 (p. 10-7 thru 10-8) as part of the coolant replacement procedure and it should enable you to get close to another 1/2 gal of old coolant out of the system. Go to Helm Publications and order the 'official' Service Manual which is a 2 volume set for $50 plus shipping! It will be worth it. I have not seen any posts on this forum talking about this. I will post a thread on this soon with pictures. All hands stand by!

Last edited by RangeRider; 08-10-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Add hyperlink.
Old 08-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
digger is an unknown quantity at this point

Gunner,

FOllowed your procedure for my 2009 Civic drain and fill, very comprehensive. AS you say very important to only use the Honda Type 2 blue, bought one gallon local for $16.00. I would add that the reserve tank pulls straight up and out for cleaning. ANd check reserve tank level in a couple of days after heat cool cycles. It took exactly 1 gal. (Note drain and fill radiator only) not flush and fill.

Last edited by digger; 08-28-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Correct
Old 06-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EarleD is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did my first coolant drain and refill. Used just over a gallon of Honda coolant included adding some to the overflow tank.

I purchased a Lisle funnel to make it easier. It did.
Took all of 15-20 minutes.

Coolant had about 120,000 miles on it. I was surprised it was still blue.

Thanks for the write up and thanks YouTube for the videos.