DIY Oil life reset.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
DIY Oil life reset.

VERY VERY SIMPLE!!

Here goes:
1) Insert Key into Ignition, go to II or "On" position (not "Acc").
2) Hit Sel/Reset until "Oil Life" comes up.
3) Hold for 10 seconds until it flashes.
4) Release
5) Hold again for 5 seconds and then it resets.

Old 09-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STREETFIGHTER50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil life service indicator

Does the oil life service indicator actually measure how bad the oil is getting or just by how much mileage you've driven?
Old 09-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil life service indicator

There is no provision for direct monitoring of the oil condition or level (except for the red light that comes on after it's too late to save the engine).

The maintenance minder is based on a model, its accuracy depends on the proper specified oil being used. It makes certain assumptions, based on the design model.

The minder watches driving style and operating conditions (times and temps, loads and speeds) to count down the life index.

I have seen the monitor allow the cars to go anywhere from 4000 miles to over 10,000 miles on an oil change, depending on drivers habits and operating conditions.

All is good as long as the proper high quality oil is used and kept full.
All bets are off if you just go to JizzyLube or WallyWorld and get the bottom dollar oil change.

As far as when it says to change your air filter and cabin filter (somewhere around every 20-30k usually), the minder cannot see what the environment is like. If your driving is on all dirt roads, your filters may need replacement long before the minder says to change them. Again, it's only based on a model.

I will suggest to service the automatic transmission fluid long before the minder says, just because that's been a weak spot for Honda for many years. At the shop, we usually recommend every 30k or sooner.

HTH
Old 09-29-2013
Registered!!

Thank u very much for clarifying that for me. Our 2011 DX sees 150 highway miles a day from commuting from Rocklin to Vallejo. As for transmission service, does the shop do 1 drain & fill at 30k or a whole 3x3 flush?
Old 09-29-2013
Registered!!

Also, i dont let Jizzlube or Wally do my oil changes lol! Do it myself. I do buy my oil & filters from Wallyworld though. $17.xx for a 5 quart jug of full synthetic 5w20 just cant be beat If i remember correctly their SuperTech full synthetic is made by Quaker State.
Old 09-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you can change your oil, you can change trans fluid.
Simple drain and fill, no filter unless you want to.

At the shop, it's a single drain and fill. Price goes waaaay up if someone wants 3 or 4 of them (flush) and a case of fluid.

I was doing the trans D&F X1 in my mothers 02 Accord with every other oil change.
Old 09-30-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Does your 2011 use the 0w oil from factory ??

ATF, Single drain and fill, oem fluid at 30k.
Old 06-07-2014
Registered!!

druminstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY Oil life reset.

Here is a post that has all the Civic reset procedures for oil life:

http://oilresetpro.com/how-to-reset-...n-honda-civic/

They also have a FREE app that has all of the oil reset procedures for all cars. Super handy if you are technician do oil changes all day long. Hope this helps someone!