I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound Deadening DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bires is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as eDead goes, it's good stuff. Sticks better than some. Great for its cost. If you do use it:

1. Use AT LEAST two layers, in strips, put down at 90-degree angles to each other
2. Plan to get at least 100square feet to do a reasonable job
3. Clean your metals surfaces well (acetone is my favorite)
4. Your car will stink like a freshly oiled-and-paved road for a couple of weeks until the stuff cures and hardens somewhat. A week of hot days with your windows down will speed things up.
Old 06-14-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
for the engine noise you reccomended this
Cascade VB-TS

will placing it under the hood, and under the dash here

make a significant diff, or do I really need to open up the dash and apply the material everywhere on the firewall to quiet down the interior engine noise.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

Bires is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nindoo
for the engine noise you reccomended this
Cascade VB-TS

will placing it under the hood, and under the dash here

make a significant diff, or do I really need to open up the dash and apply the material everywhere on the firewall to quiet down the interior engine noise.
Engine compartment.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice
Re: Sound Deadening DIY

You know what else works really good is the -----> ( LOW ) <---- expansion insulating foam. Cheep as **** but messy have lots of old sheets handy. Well not for the Dash of course. the trunk and pillars more or less. stick it in all the hole in the trunk frame and let it do its thing flush cut the excess and then use what ever material you find suitable for sound damping. I did this and noting rattles. All parts of the trunk sound solid.

Last edited by twiztedD17A1; 01-31-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Another thread has a-risen, praise the lord.
Old 04-28-2009
Registered!!

Silvership05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twiztedD17A1
You know what else works really good is the -----> ( LOW ) <---- expansion insulating foam. Cheep as **** but messy have lots of old sheets handy. Well not for the Dash of course. the trunk and pillars more or less. stick it in all the hole in the trunk frame and let it do its thing flush cut the excess and then use what ever material you find suitable for sound damping. I did this and noting rattles. All parts of the trunk sound solid.
the only problem with that stuff that ive found on some car audio sites is that if you live in a rather hot area like some places in the south, the stuff can keep expanding even years after youve used it. a guy, with a civic, used it in his trunk. let it set, cut the excess, and then dynamatted over it and it eventually warped his trunk lid because when it expanded the dynamat kept it in and it had to go somewhere. just something to think about.
Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya I know this is a very old thread, but would some of the new purple spray insulation that you can get at home depot be a good some deadener in areas that you could see?
Old 11-27-2012
Registered!!

Clerk can only hope to improve

I want the interior engine noise to be quiter as well as googlethe road noise that comes from the rear near the fenders.
Old 11-27-2012
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Clerk
I want the interior engine noise to be quiter as well as googlethe road noise that comes from the rear near the fenders.
But another car!
Old 11-27-2012
Registered!!

Clerk can only hope to improve

Check out the Adhesion... 3 pounds per square inch on plywood. If the surface is dry, free of dirt and oils, should stick more than enough and not come off ever... if you stick it together, it ain't never coming apart.
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

mgaines9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest using CDL Tiles for most any sound deadening you need done. It can be put on all surfaces of your door and body it works 5x better than Dynamat and half the cost. checkout the link http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old 11-30-2013
Registered!!

Civic15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it a ridiculous notion to worry about worse fuel mpg from adding sound deadening, whether it be Dynamat in the trunk for subs, or whatever...?
Old 11-30-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Civic15
Is it a ridiculous notion to worry about worse fuel mpg from adding sound deadening, whether it be Dynamat in the trunk for subs, or whatever...?
Yea! Its going to have a minimal affect on MPG. If you Dyna-matted the whole car from top to bottom I could see worrying about it.
Old 12-24-2013
Registered!!

Weigel21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Yea! Its going to have a minimal affect on MPG. If you Dyna-matted the whole car from top to bottom I could see worrying about it.
I've heard that on average, you loose 1MPG with every extra 100lbs of weight in the car. So, properly daedended, you may loose 1MPG.
Old 12-24-2013
Registered!!

^ ^ ^ only uphill!
Old 12-24-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

my best mileage was obtained with stock steelies and car full of stuff - the headlights were pointing to the skies, rear tires 1" inside the fenders. 44MPG. if you are only going highways, the heavier the better. it starts moving, don't wanna stop anymore.
Old 12-24-2013
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

the hell you'd want this stuff in a race car? =D
Old 07-29-2016
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting ready to sound deaden with Damplifier Pro. I can really only to afford to do a section at a time. Trying to figure out if I should do the rear deck/trunk/trunk lid first or the doors. Obviously I'm eventually going to do both.. I'm leaning more towards doing the doors first to get that enclosure effect for my midbass drivers. What do yall think?
Old 08-25-2016
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the doors first. Definitely the most gains from doing that.