I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound Deadening DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ocelaris is an unknown quantity at this point
The carpet padding is called "Jute" there really isn't a brand name that I'm aware of, just ask any carpet person or home depot carpet department person and they'll know exactly what you're talking about.

As for the fiberglass option, anything similar to the Pink Panther (pink fiberglass that goes in walls) except smaller and as compacted as you can find works well. In Europe thye use rock wool instead, just basically a different melted rock that's cotton candyish in texture/shape. Pink Panther is the only brand name I can think of.
Old 04-27-2004

edicivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
$0.02

For the folks without serious sound systems, I wanted to share how I got my dam rear deck lid rattle to STOP-IT. All i had to do was drive anywhere from 20 mph to 35 mph and the darn thing would rattle. So, after reading about every post on this site concerning trunk rattle i decided to pull my deck lid, but before i did that i decided to push some foam up in through the trunk up under the deck (with the 3rd brake light). So i had this foamy stuff that comes in a coil, its black and one side is sticky, and i found 2 openings from the trunk where i could see or feel the read deck lid, so i got some foam and a screw driver and began stuffing about 6" of that foam in. AND thats it! no more rattle, and i am happy.

This works for me cause most of my car is stock, and so is the sound system, I realize this method wont work for most folks with good sound equip, but for those folks with stock sound you may want to try this. I just didnt feel like pulling all that deck lid off, ya know?
Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to work on that in summer when I do the remodeling of my trunk.
But how everybody get rid of the annoying noise come from the headliner? I changed that once before(free because of my car was rear ended) and it seems like it drops down again at the moonroof.....Hate it very much.....
Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

I had the headliner problem well before the accident.
Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by EDIcivic2k1
$0.02

For the folks without serious sound systems, I wanted to share how I got my dam rear deck lid rattle to STOP-IT. All i had to do was drive anywhere from 20 mph to 35 mph and the darn thing would rattle. So, after reading about every post on this site concerning trunk rattle i decided to pull my deck lid, but before i did that i decided to push some foam up in through the trunk up under the deck (with the 3rd brake light). So i had this foamy stuff that comes in a coil, its black and one side is sticky, and i found 2 openings from the trunk where i could see or feel the read deck lid, so i got some foam and a screw driver and began stuffing about 6" of that foam in. AND thats it! no more rattle, and i am happy.

This works for me cause most of my car is stock, and so is the sound system, I realize this method wont work for most folks with good sound equip, but for those folks with stock sound you may want to try this. I just didnt feel like pulling all that deck lid off, ya know?
You are wise beyond your years. People get way into the "sound deadening" frenzy, and a little simple logic like you discovered is really the way to go, IMHO. People spend oodles of $$ on things they don't have a problem with, and just a little hunt and peck for trouble spots will fix or correct most problems. I don't mean to patronize, but I whole heartedly agree with what you did. Thinking about the problem, will beat throwing $$ at it, every day of the week. Just starting to recognize what things make noise, what things reflect, and what things absorb noise around you in a daily basis can help get some great ideas on howto quiet your car. )
Old 05-15-2004
Registered!!

fscwv2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got two JL 10w0's in my trunk with two pioneer's in the rear deck and i'm rattling like mother. I've read all these post and i've heard many good ideas, but I need someone to give me a solid direction to go. My trunk lid and my rear deck are my problems. Please inform me on some good, cheap products, where I can buy them, and a little installation help. I'm real new at this so any help would be great. Narrow it down as far as you can. Thanks
Old 05-15-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Get some dynamat, because it won't smell at all compared to others. Everything you can take apart yourself. It's either held on with clips or screws. I took my entire car apart and did dynamat on the doors, rear deck, and trunk floor. It helped a little. For road noise, you may want to check out www.b-quiet.com and look for V and L-comp. The V-comp is really heavy, though. Don't put too much on because it weighs down the car.

Oh and carpet padding is good for the floors. I also have some under where the stock carpet goes. And that stuff is really light-weight.
Old 05-15-2004
Registered!!

fscwv2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I was looking for something a little cheaper than that. I am in my sophmore year of college and can't afford anything like that. Any cheaper suggestions? Road noise is not a problem it's just my stereo that is causing the deck and trunk to rattle.

Last edited by fscwv2001civic; 05-15-2004 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-15-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Check that site out. www.b-quiet.com and look for brown bread. It's like dynamat and the smell isn't that bad at all. It's alot cheaper and does the same thing.
Old 06-28-2004
Registered!!

Bdubb is an unknown quantity at this point
I put dynamat in my car and am very happy with the sound. My back window seal no longer works though so the system is out from water damage but I have dynamat and dynamat extreme on all 4 doors, ceiling, floor panels and the trunk. However, I would recommend saving money wherever u can looking back on it now if it works use it.
Old 07-02-2004
Premium Member

It works for sure. My one sub almost sounds like two subs after the dynamat. At least do the carpet foam for the floor. It's really cheap and weighs almost nothing.
Old 07-06-2004
DTC
Registered!!

DTC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fscwv2001civic
I was looking for something a little cheaper than that. I am in my sophmore year of college and can't afford anything like that. Any cheaper suggestions? Road noise is not a problem it's just my stereo that is causing the deck and trunk to rattle.
Sure i have been using this for several years and its just as good as dynacash in fact i think they make it for dynamat just that this one has no name on it. Here is the link to the company. ITs called Adhesive-Back Damping Sheets
http://www.mcmaster.com
ITs on page 3270
Old 08-10-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I put a black rubber under all of my panels. I took out my rear deck, and placed weather stripping I think it was along where it meets the window, and no more rattles. The rubber works awesome. It is the rubber for flooring, I found a roll of it in my dads new house, so I dont know the prices, Free for Me
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
I put a black rubber under all of my panels. I took out my rear deck, and placed weather stripping I think it was along where it meets the window, and no more rattles. The rubber works awesome. It is the rubber for flooring, I found a roll of it in my dads new house, so I dont know the prices, Free for Me
Yeah, pretty much anything that is sticky and has weight will help quiet down rattling things. you can now get rolls of the asphault based tar stuff at home depot in 12" wide by ??? long rolls that works great, not too $$$ either. Also may I highly recccomend the carpet padding (the cheap fabric kind) when/if the carpet people come by... works great
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

7thgencivic9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I currently have my door panels off because they are being painted and thought about putting some sound deadening material on there while they are off. I don't have a system but I am about to buy some door speakers also while I have my door panels off. Will Fatmat work well for this application? I want to cut down on the road noise inside the car...I like a quiet ride.
Old 08-11-2004
Premium Member

Sound dampening mat helps slightly for road noise, but it's mostly for improving sound quality from speakers. Fatmat is a BAD idea inside the car. It will smell like tar for months, and maybe even forever. Dynamat has no smell at all and sticks much better. It's worth it. Make sure you install it well by using a roller. Heat gun would be even better, although not needed.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

You can spend your money on the commercial stuff "fatmat", "brownbread" etc... but the only thing those materials are is asphault sheeting. There is no other way to get the "rattle" to go away except weight. Now if you just have stuff clanking around, just try a few layers of the Grace (the company) Ice and water guard, and seal all your doors and panels. The smell goes away in a week at worse, and it'll smell the first hot day, and then be gone. All the auto manufacturers use this stuff in the cars when they're built anyways, you're just adding more of it.

You can get asphault sheeting much cheaper at other locations. But they will not cut down on road noise to any signifigance. You need something to absorb the high pitched sounds like jute, the cheap carpet padding you can find at home depot, don't get the rubber stuff. I would use asphault sheeting to seal my doors and openings, and then use the jute on the inner panel. I have done this, it works well, cost less than 100$ for 100 sq feet of asphault sheeting (grace ice and water guard) and 100 sq. feet of "jute" the fabric type carpet padding.

Last edited by Ocelaris; 08-11-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

03AzNsIlvaSeDaN is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm planning to put some type of sound deadening material in my car... Ocelaris, that fiberglass stuff ur talking about, how much does it go for and does it smell like anything?? bad that is?? not like asphalt? btw, i just wanna kno wut ppl have in their car to keep road noise down? does it work?? thanx for the help guys
Old 08-15-2004
Premium Member

For road noise, you're gonna need lots of sound absorbing (not dampening material). Check out v- and l-comp from www.b-quiet.com. I opted not to do this, because all that weight adds up. A single layer of dynamat already weighs ALOT. I think changing the tires will make a good difference.
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 03AzNsIlvaSeDaN
I'm planning to put some type of sound deadening material in my car... Ocelaris, that fiberglass stuff ur talking about, how much does it go for and does it smell like anything?? bad that is?? not like asphalt? btw, i just wanna kno wut ppl have in their car to keep road noise down? does it work?? thanx for the help guys
Well, for sound absorption, gearbox is right, there are commercial varieties of vinyl/foam/asphault/lead sandwiches etc... that are probably the best sound absorption available. I worked for a company that did home theatre installs for the rich in famous, like the Redskin's owner... anyways, what they use in their sound proofing materials is compressed fiberglass, I have 2 sheets of the stuff in my apartment, and it will suck up almost any noise. The problem with compressed fiberglass is that it's rigid. So probably the next best thing would be if you could compress ALOT of fiberglass into openings and/or wherever, but that is kinda ridiculous, so a nice alternative that isn't pokey, is the cheap carpet padding generically called "jute" because it looks like it's woven out of millions of different materials, kinda greyish. This stuff works pretty well, and is very pliable. There is already a layer of this stuff under all of your carpeting... I added a second layer everywhere, and it helped alot.

In home theaters, they seal and tie down anything that will vibrate, i.e. loose drywall by double drywalling... and then they'll line the entire thing with that compressed fiberglass see this place:
http://www.insulationworld.com

And then they coat it with a nice fabric on top... I'll give you the analogy in our cars... Seal everything. anywhere air can leak in, sound can leak in. So any panels that have outer skins and inner skins, seal with some vinyl or asphaultic sheeting (asphaltic is 10x cheaper), also any loose plastic pieces can be kinda tied or strapped down with the sheeting. Then I put a layer of jute on the inside of the doors, and all panels.

The Jute is light, the jute is cheap, jute works great.

The catch with jute is that you can't let it get wet, it will mold, so that's why I reccomend the sealing of the exterior panels. Oh and I'll put a plug in again for Grace "Vycor" or "Ice and water gaurd" it has plastic backing. much easier to apply than the foil based, and the plastic stretches, so when you apply it, it doesn't tear, and you don't have any aspahult exposed (the smelly part) except the very edges. Do a good job and make 2 or 3 layers and you will only have a little exposed edges, which of course you could duct tape over if you were real **** about the smell, but I never noticed it, my wife complained the first time it got hot, but she says it went away after that.

Hard things transmit noise, soft things absorb... Best to understand basically how it works rather than to just buy product X... because I've seen so many clubRSX idiots put 3 layers of fat mat on their floors... IDIOTS... one claimed that there was no "OEM" asphaultic sheeting... I graciously took his picture of his fat mat install, and circled the part he had not covered on the floor (read wasted 100$ on nothing) where there was a strip of opening... low and behold the asphault sheeting was there. Not to sound pretentious, but there are alot of people who can throw $$ at a problem and not think about it... I probably could be that kinda person, but I would never want to pay to not think, ok well we all do sometimes, but when you want the best no matter what, you have to think about it, and when it comes down to getting results, throwing $ at a problem just won't get you the best results.

In the very beginning, about the dynamat extreme losing everything... well, dynamat extreme is a vinyl sheet, not asphault, so no smell, but no weight either. Imagine lots and lots of thick electrical tape, and that's what Vinyl sheets are... if it smells, it probably weighs alot if it doesn't, it's probably vinyl. And they all stink, to certain degrees some are less stinky, but it's so subjective, you can believe what you want. I call it all the same.

Sorry if it sounds like I have an attitude, I'm used to RSX owners with an attitude and $$ to back it up. Just used to having to wail against the man who tries to talk trash about the informational part of sound deadening because they bought 300$ of brand X on a whim and now vehemetnly defend their decision which lacks merit in many respects. You can get the best for alot of $ no doubt, but for 100$ and alot of time and thinking it over, you can get 95% of the best... and most people who drop major loot over sound deadening are using it so recklessly that they will never come close to matching the results that somebody with 100$ and alot of effort will produce. /rant off

GL, Oce Out

Last edited by Ocelaris; 08-15-2004 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

03AzNsIlvaSeDaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, thanx alot for your help Oce...i'll for sure go and look for that Jute stuff next time i pass by home depot, thanx alot for the info!
Old 08-15-2004
Premium Member

So is jute just carpet foam padding that you use for a house? I have that stuff all over the floors under the stock carpet.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

BigGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought the Grace Company "Ice and Water Guard" at lowes for 62.00 after tax. It is really easy to work with and you get so much. I haven't put my box back in yet but I have noticed a huge difference just by banging the trunk parts with my fist. So far I have three layers of the "Ice and Water Guard" , rammed half inch carpet padding in every hole and then I am going to lay the carpet padding on top of everything in the trunk and reinstall the oem carpet. This will have to make a huge difference I hope, I know I will still have to locate minor rattles here and there, like around the taillights an so on. You guys are awesome for putting this info on here, Thank you.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Great, please post commentary on the smell too... I can say the sound deadening is good and people probably will take my word for it, but smells, everybody has their own preferences/dislikes and it didn't bother me, but some people it may bother.

So is jute just carpet foam padding that you use for a house? I have that stuff all over the floors under the stock carpet.
Yes my Civic Si had a type of Jute from the factory under my stock carpet. I added another layer myself... but probably could get away without it, I need to put some on the firewall, but that's kinda behind the dash

But Jute is not foam, i.e. the stuff with the bubbles in it that most people have under their home carpets... foam usually is less helpful in sound deadening, the fabric type stuff is what you are looking for, it's cheaper than the foam stuff. The idea is mass and lots of seperate particles to absorb and vibrate away the energy of the sound... so foam is one big piece and can't dissipate the sound energy as well as individual fibers.

Here is a good way you can think of sound absorption... Think of the ocean, and a beach, and if you've ever seen beaches that have eroded, and they put huge boulders or stones along the edge, those are the comparisons to look at. The waves of the ocean are the sound energy, and the boulders and the sand are our sound dampening materials. So with a beach, there are quadrillions of tiny particles, and each particle take's it's hit of the wave and kinda rubs it's neighbor, and makes a little friction. Add up all that friction, and that is how the sand diffuses all the energy that the waves make. With the boulders (bad for saving beach erosion) each boulder is so big that the wave being fluid, it jsut moves out of the way and deflects the energy elsewhere... it doesn't absorb anything, it just bypasses it.

So when someone reccomends putting the hard foam in the doors, that would be the equivalent of using boulders on a beach to protect from erosion.. it just plain speeds up erosion and noise transmission. Hard foam does not individually vibrate so it transmits instead of losing energy to friction.

Compressed Fiberglass is the equivalent of beach sand... individual particles which by themselves are hard, but they are small enough to absorb the energy and vibrate their neighbors hence absorbing the noise.

The Jute is our best cheap alternative having lots of nylon/cotton strands which work similarly to compressed fiberglass... and when I say compressed fiberglass, I don't mean like the stuff you make custom sub boxes out of, I mean like the pink rolls you put in walls, except it's compressed to be very dense. see here:

http://www.insulationworld.com/default.asp

Anyways, good to hear people are savin some $$ on this stuff :-)

So we want a relatively hard material to react

Last edited by Ocelaris; 08-24-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

Well I have finished all the main parts of sound deadening for the trunk ie. floor, walls, and taped off all holes except for the lid which I will get too later. I cannot believe the difference this made. I am running two Orion XTR3 dvc's series parallel to a zr360 kicker and a 1 farad capacitor, it can be loud as f@ck, and it helped very much. As for the smell of the Grace company, I duct taped the edges and put 8lb carpet padding on top of that and the smell dissipated.

I have one question my spoiler still vibrates, will filling the lid with carpet padding then tapping off take care of that?

Thanks for all the help guy's
Old 09-02-2004
Premium Member

Yeah most people also fill that up and cover with a layer of sound deadening. It should help, although spoiler rattle is very common.
Old 09-06-2004
DTC
Registered!!

DTC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BigGeorge
Well I have finished all the main parts of sound deadening for the trunk ie. floor, walls, and taped off all holes except for the lid which I will get too later. I cannot believe the difference this made. I am running two Orion XTR3 dvc's series parallel to a zr360 kicker and a 1 farad capacitor, it can be loud as f@ck, and it helped very much. As for the smell of the Grace company, I duct taped the edges and put 8lb carpet padding on top of that and the smell dissipated.

I have one question my spoiler still vibrates, will filling the lid with carpet padding then tapping off take care of that?

Thanks for all the help guy's
The best way to take care of that option is to use tuff stuff expanding foam it fills in great and wont add weight to your ride.
Old 09-06-2004
Registered!!

I am completely lost in this article, even though I am very interested in this because of my system....Anyone can contact me in PM or IM?
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

The best way to take care of that option is to use tuff stuff expanding foam it fills in great and wont add weight to your ride
There are two holes underneath the spoiler, shoot the foam inside? I have used foam before and did not like the out come. What other options are there with out removing the spoiler?
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

If you have enough damping on the inside of the trunk lid, the spoiler rattle should not be heard.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening DIY