I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

how do i ad keyless remotes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002
Super Hoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
how do i ad keyless remotes?

I have 2 spare keyless entry remotes from my last 7th gen civic(car is gone but i still have the remotes)...

I want to add the 2 additional remotes to my new 7th gen.

Does anyone know how?
Old 10-20-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
you gotta put in a whole keyless entry system...
and 7th gens have only been out for 2 years, how is it that youve had 2?
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
Call the dealer. They can probably tell you how to program the remotes to work with your newest 7th gen. If they're anything like Fords, they have a simple procedure to program them. I bought a remote for the SHO that I had a few years ago. They took a new one off the shelf and did something with the key and ignition to program it. It worked perfectly after that. I imagine Honda's work similarly, otherwise how would you program a new one if you lost the original?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-21-2002
Registered!!

Jzero is an unknown quantity at this point
There's a funky voodoo dance you have to do to program the remotes.
I have the dance written down in my car. I'll try and remember to get it when I get home and I'll post it.
It's in the manual that comes with the keyless entry module....which I would think comes with the car.
Does your new car have keyless entry already? B/c if it doesn't, they won't work.
Old 10-21-2002
Registered!!

Keyfob Voodoo Dance:
NOTES: Steps 2-12 each step must be completed within 5 seconds of the last step. For step 13, within 10 seconds for each remote.
Up to 3 remotes can be stored in memory.
All remotes to be stored must be on hand.
You can use a non-programmed remote.
Turn the key to "OFF" when you're done.

1. Unlock the doors
2. Turn the key to the "On" position (II).
3. Press LOCK or UNLOCK on the keyfob.
4.Turn the key to "OFF" (0 or I).
5. Turn the key to "On." (II).
6. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK on the keyfob.
7. Turn the ignition to OFF (0 or I).
8. Turn the ignition to ON (II).
9. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the keyfob.
10. Turn the ignition to OFF (0 or I).
11. Turn the key to ON (II).
12. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the keyfob.
The power door locks will now cycle to indicate programming mode.
When you're done programming, turn the switch to OFF or wait 10 seconds without pressing any buttons on the remotes.
13. One at a time, press the LOCK button on each remote to be programmed. The power door locks cycle to confirm each entry. YOU CAN ONLY STORE 3 REMOTES.

It may take you a couple tries...you have to follow it exactly. Also don't forget that the remotes don't work if there is a key in the ignition.
Old 10-21-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Jzero
Keyfob Voodoo Dance:
NOTES: Steps 2-12 each step must be completed within 5 seconds of the last step. For step 13, within 10 seconds for each remote.
Up to 3 remotes can be stored in memory.
All remotes to be stored must be on hand.
You can use a non-programmed remote.
Turn the key to "OFF" when you're done.

1. Unlock the doors
2. Turn the key to the "On" position (II).
3. Press LOCK or UNLOCK on the keyfob.
4.Turn the key to "OFF" (0 or I).
5. Turn the key to "On." (II).
6. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK on the keyfob.
7. Turn the ignition to OFF (0 or I).
8. Turn the ignition to ON (II).
9. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the keyfob.
10. Turn the ignition to OFF (0 or I).
11. Turn the key to ON (II).
When you're done programming, turn the switch to OFF or wait 10 seconds without pressing any buttons on the remotes.
13. One at a time, press the LOCK button on each remote to be programmed. The power door locks cycle to confirm each entry. YOU CAN ONLY STORE 3 REMOTES.

It may take you a couple tries...you have to follow it exactly. Also don't forget that the remotes don't work if there is a key in the ignition.[hr]

haha... i had these instructions from the 6th gen civics but i wasn't sure if they're the same instructions for the 7th gen....

i didn't want to try it until someone confirms that they're the correct instructions for the 7th gens..i didn't want to end up with all the remotes disabled if i mess up...

did you actually try them on the 7th gen civic? are the same procedures used on all Hondas?

also, where is this information found? I have access the the mitchels database and also the alldata database...i was going to look in there to see if i can find it somewhere in a repair manual...

so and i guess i gotta remove the key everytime i press the remote buttons eh?

Old 10-21-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: LudlamTheory
you gotta put in a whole keyless entry system...
and 7th gens have only been out for 2 years, how is it that youve had 2?[hr]
both my 7th gens were 2002 models....

both also came with keyless entry...

i only have the SiG right now but i still have both remotes from the LX...

Old 10-21-2002
Registered!!

[hr]did you actually try them on the 7th gen civic? are the same procedures used on all Hondas?[hr]
I can't speak for all Hondas, but I did it on my 2002 Civic, so it should work for you.

[hr]also, where is this information found? I have access the the mitchels database and also the alldata database...i was going to look in there to see if i can find it somewhere in a repair manual...[hr]
It came in the Honda manual which came with the OEM keyless entry module I bought. I would assume that any car with keyless entry would come with that manual, but perhaps not? I looked at the installation instructions on handa-accessories.com, but it only contains the directions for installing the actual module, and not programming it.
The book I have is a thin gray booklet...looks much like every other Honda manual.

[hr]so and i guess i gotta remove the key everytime i press the remote buttons eh?[hr]
When programming it, the keys will be in the ignition (it will be in the ON position after step 11). You only have to push a button on the remote, and you can do both remotes without going through all the steps--just hit one button, the locks will cycle, then hit the other and the locks will cycle again.

But after you're done programming it, they won't work with the key in the ignition.
I only mention that b/c I think I programmed it correctly the first time, but I had them in my hand and when I finished programming, I turned the key to off, but left it in the ignition and then I tested the remotes and of course, they didn't work [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] So I programmed it a second time, and did the same thing and then remembered reading that I had to take the key out of ignition, and lo, they worked

Old 10-22-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]did you actually try them on the 7th gen civic? are the same procedures used on all Hondas?[hr]
I can't speak for all Hondas, but I did it on my 2002 Civic, so it should work for you.

[hr]also, where is this information found? I have access the the mitchels database and also the alldata database...i was going to look in there to see if i can find it somewhere in a repair manual...[hr]
It came in the Honda manual which came with the OEM keyless entry module I bought. I would assume that any car with keyless entry would come with that manual, but perhaps not? I looked at the installation instructions on handa-accessories.com, but it only contains the directions for installing the actual module, and not programming it.
The book I have is a thin gray booklet...looks much like every other Honda manual.

[hr]so and i guess i gotta remove the key everytime i press the remote buttons eh?[hr]
When programming it, the keys will be in the ignition (it will be in the ON position after step 11). You only have to push a button on the remote, and you can do both remotes without going through all the steps--just hit one button, the locks will cycle, then hit the other and the locks will cycle again.

But after you're done programming it, they won't work with the key in the ignition.
I only mention that b/c I think I programmed it correctly the first time, but I had them in my hand and when I finished programming, I turned the key to off, but left it in the ignition and then I tested the remotes and of course, they didn't work [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] So I programmed it a second time, and did the same thing and then remembered reading that I had to take the key out of ignition, and lo, they worked [hr]

alright, great....thanks for the info....

btw, my manual does not come with the info on how to program the remotes....my keyless entry was factory preinstalled...

are u sure maximum number of remotes is 3?
i have 4 remotes and would like them all to be programmed for my car..hehe

Old 10-22-2002
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
i'll take the extra off your hands [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-22-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: Ed
i'll take the extra off your hands [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][hr]
haha i'm sure you would..hehe

the dealer sells those for around $100cdn each..hehe
Old 10-22-2002
Registered!!

[hr]btw, my manual does not come with the info on how to program the remotes....my keyless entry was factory preinstalled...[hr]
Maybe they don't give it, then. Seems odd, though.
[hr]are u sure maximum number of remotes is 3?[hr]
Definitely what it says in the manual. Try to program a 4th and see if it works. It will probably just delete the first one or all of them and you'll have to redo it. No real damage, and maybe it will work.
Old 10-25-2002
Super Hoser

It may take you a couple tries...you have to follow it exactly. Also don't forget that the remotes don't work if there is a key in the ignition.[hr]
this part is confusing...

after pressing LOCK or UNLOCK in step 12, i am now in programming mode. i now press LOCK or UNLOCK on each of the remotes then turn key to OFF to end programming?

step 13 is just to test if the programming was successful?
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: turboslug

this part is confusing...

after pressing LOCK or UNLOCK in step 12, i am now in programming mode. i now press LOCK or UNLOCK on each of the remotes then turn key to OFF to end programming?

step 13 is just to test if the programming was successful?[hr]
Sorry took so long.
You have the right idea, but step 13 is supposed to be the actual programming step, and then you turn the ignition off, remove the key and test the fobs.
Based on the way you describe it, though, you'll have done it right either way, I think.