I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Key Fob Won't Work!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandon Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Key Fob Won't Work!

Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 Civic Si Coupe with 203k on it.

I wanted to get some advice on the troubles I've been having with my car.
Since last year I have been having persisting Cold Starts but only during the Winter or if the car has been sitting for a night or two but never in the summer.

When I start my car it will crank for about 5 - 10 seconds before actually turning over, today it was really pushing it. I have been trying to get my mechanic to diagnose the problem which he thinks will be electrical but I haven't had the time to really investigate it. Before I swapped out the battery it would completely drain the old one but I haven't had that problem since I changed it with a used one.

Today my key fob completely went out on me. The car would flash its head lights but no horn indicating its locked.... few hours later and now there is absolutely no response from the fob at all. I tried reprogramming it and my locks are working fine from inside but when I use the fob there is no response on the dash, headlights, or anything for that matter.

Hoping someone might have some insight for me since I'm completely hopeless with this stuff.

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited by Brandon Adams; 01-17-2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 01-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Key Fob Won't Work!

Does the car any other obvious electrical problems ?
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandon Adams is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing unusual.

I have HIDs which are setup to Ballasts, they work fine.
Today the key fob worked again when I unlocked the car there was a response from the the dash lighting up plus head lights and tail lights illuminating which normally happens...
Not sure what is going on here.
Old 01-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Could have wires broken in the door jamb where the harness flexes every time the door is opened and closed?
Old 01-17-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brandon Adams
Nothing unusual.

I have HIDs which are setup to Ballasts, they work fine.
You shouldn't have HID in a headlamp that is not specifically designed for it. It if very very obnoxious to other drivers and no amount of adjusting will correct the inherent problem with them. And PNP HID kits are illegal in the US, Canada, and pretty much all of Europe.