I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

04 Civic Key won't turn

Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emily1014 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Civic Key won't turn

We have an 04 Honda Civic that maybe the anti theft system is currently enabled? We can't turn the key at all. The steering wheel moves a little so it's not that the wheel is jammed. There is a beeping noise when we put the key in the ignition. We don't know how to disable it. PLEASE HELP??
Old 01-11-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 04 Civic Key won't turn

pull the wheel side-to-side while trying to turn the key.

prolly the wheel is locked.
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

we tried that. the wheel isn't locked - it moves freely.
Old 01-11-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if the door is open with the key inserted, it will beep.
anti-theft will not let the engine start, but will allow for the key to turn.

you said it moves a little, now you say it moves freely.
which is it?

the only case that the key will not turn is when the steering wheel is locked.
or the key jamble is broken.
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

it moves a few inches side to side, not like when it's jammed or locked and it doesn't move. someone mentioned maybe the tumbler??
Old 01-11-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Is it a auto trans? If yes, is it in park?
if not, put in park
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

it is in park and checked the parking brake as well. that is all good. yes, auto trans.
Old 01-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Key won't turn, most likely because the tumblers have worn out and are now jammed inside the lock cylinder.

Time for a lock cylinder rebuild.

Well, I can rebuild these locks with all new tumblers, and if necessary a new freshly cut key, plus programming if needed.

Not everyone can do it (retumble the lock), not even in the dealerships. Many won't, can't or don't even know it's possible. Some would rather sell a whole new column lock assembly.

(Fixing this problems is not cheap, no matter which way you decide to fix it.)

Lock shops will probably be hit or miss too....none in my town have tumblers for Hondas sidewinder locks, it's "dealer only" here.
(The lock shop here would take it all apart and remove the offending bad tumblers!)

Some might go to the salvage yard and get a complete set of steering column lock, keys, immobilizer, and PCM as a matched set. Then you'll have a pocketfull of hodgepodge keys to deal with.
Old 01-12-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Tried other supplied keys ?
Old 01-14-2017
Registered!!

we have tried both keys. we still haven't gotten it started. it's sat all week. i'm not sure a mechanic would come here to look at it.
Old 01-14-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Google 'how to remove a steering column lock honda civic' and see if you can get some info or videos on how to remove the one on your car, DIY.

I'd be freekin scared of most craigslist mechanics, and some real ones.
I've seen how much damage can be done by the wrong person working on a car.
Old 01-15-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You certainly do not want just anyone working with something like this.
Old 01-15-2017
Registered!!

i don't know what else to do. someone mentioned using a hair dryer, maybe it's froze (it has been below zero here). We are going to try that but I don't want to make it worse by doing something to it that we aren't suppose to. I'm so frustrated!
Old 01-15-2017

It can't be frozen from the cold, unless someone poured water into the lock. That didn't happen.

If you can figure out how to remove the steering column lock from the column, you could then be able to start the engine and make the car moveable again.

When I have to do this, I grab these tools:
#2 Phillips screwdriver,
a flat tip small pocket screwdriver,
a center punch and hammer
a flat tip screwdriver maybe 1/4-3/8" wide (or a house key, anything that can be used to rotate the electrical switch after it's removed from the lock assembly)

Takes me less than 10 minutes (I have lots of practice doing this) to get that lock removed from the column and start the engine, then I can drive the car into the shop to continue working where it's nice and warm.

IF you can get the column lock removed by yourself, then you could have options like..... take just the bad lock in to be repaired (or drive the whole car there).... then reinstall repaired original lock onto the car. (probably would be the cheapest outcome, assuming new keys aren't needed)

OR.....
You had better figure out who has the ability and equipment fix this particular problem and tow the car to that person.
Most likely a Honda dealership or a well equipped locksmith who can deal with Hondas sidewinder locks and keys. (Be aware, not all people in dealers are willing to rebuild these locks, many have no idea it's even possible. Phone first. )

Search this Thread