I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Another Speaker Question: 2003 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BootyDo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Another Speaker Question: 2003 Sedan

Hi All,

Just a quick question, (and I apologize if these types of Q's are junking up the boards), but are the stock 6 1/2" speakers in a 4 door 2003 the same all the way around? I have a blown one in the front and bought an upgrade with some Socosche spacers. I think the spacers are like 1". Looking at the aftermarket speakers, (Sony XS 1641). I think I can use the spacer since the bottom depth is 2" flat. But I'm fearful the top mount is going to force me to cut the stock door panel. If that's the case, I'd rather throw these guys in the back, temporarily move the rear OEM's to the front,and then upgrade to something with less top mount.

Does this sound feasible or will the rears not work in the front?
Old 08-24-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Another Speaker Question: 2003 Sedan

If you look at speakers on say crutchfields website what size does it list for the rear? Does it mention adapter plates?
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another Speaker Question: 2003 Sedan

They are both 6.5. Crotchfield says so. So you can use them in the front but..... you will need to drill holes into the metal or rig something up with your old speakers because the fronts are held in place with clips built into the speaker.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-electrical/289740-diy-front-door-speaker-install-coupe-sedan.html
This one shows how to do it by drilling into the door.

You could just get some .5" spacers to just clear the back and not worry about hitting the front of the speaker. Save yourself the hassle of doing twice the work.