I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Lights flicker

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
circtest is an unknown quantity at this point
Lights flicker

I have an '03 Civic and developed a problem with the lights flickering or pulsating. It's all lights, not just one specific thing like headlights. I have also begun to have corrosion on the positive battery terminal which has never happened before. Any idea what's going on? I have read others saying it is the alternator, but I don't believe so. It's been doing it for a while now (months) and the battery is still charged. Seems to do it more often when it's cold outside.
Old 03-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lights flicker

do you have a new audio system or anything that would cause inconsistent draw on the battery?

my lights dim when I roll the windows up and down but only when pressing the button. while driving it's fine and the lights are steady. I suspect it something with the tiny gauge wiring.
Old 03-13-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have also begun to have corrosion on the positive battery terminal which has never happened before.
So clean it before it becomes a problem.
the lights flickering or pulsating.
How often or how rapid or frequent is this pulsation? (more details) Once every 3 minutes only at a stop? Every 3 seconds? What?

Is the AC or defrost on? Turn it off and recheck. The AC and fans pull a lot of current and will dim the lights when they cycle on.
Old 03-13-2016
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

How do the ground cables in the engine bay look?

I know the stock front one frays pretty bad, could be making an inconsistent connection.
Old 03-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
do you have a new audio system or anything that would cause inconsistent draw on the battery?

No

my lights dim when I roll the windows up and down but only when pressing the button. while driving it's fine and the lights are steady. I suspect it something with the tiny gauge wiring.
I'm referring to a pulsation, not dimming. I get dimming when the windows are rolled down or turn on the a/c as you mentioned.
Old 03-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MassCivic
How do the ground cables in the engine bay look?

I know the stock front one frays pretty bad, could be making an inconsistent connection.
I will check when I get home
Old 03-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
So clean it before it becomes a problem.

How often or how rapid or frequent is this pulsation? (more details) Once every 3 minutes only at a stop? Every 3 seconds? What?

Is the AC or defrost on? Turn it off and recheck. The AC and fans pull a lot of current and will dim the lights when they cycle on.
The lights constantly pulsate and does not matter if the A/C, defroster is on. The lights pulsate either way. I have cleaned the terminals over the weekend. It's not doing it now, uh but, it's warm outside. The lights tend to start flickering when the air temp is cool/cold.
Old 03-14-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Put a DC volt meter on your battery terminal and see what voltage you have at around 2000 rpm. ? Flip it to AC and see if you have any AC coming thru. Turn it off and let it sit overnight. What is you DC volts now after sitting and not running?
Old 03-14-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Charging voltage should stay fairly consistent, not bounce up and down rapidly.
Measure and note the voltages during the pulsations, min/max during charging.

Probably needs an alternator........
Old 12-09-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by circtest
I have an '03 Civic and developed a problem with the lights flickering or pulsating. It's all lights, not just one specific thing like headlights. I have also begun to have corrosion on the positive battery terminal which has never happened before. Any idea what's going on? I have read others saying it is the alternator, but I don't believe so. It's been doing it for a while now (months) and the battery is still charged. Seems to do it more often when it's cold outside.
Bump

I'm still having this issue. Anyone know what causes this? Really don't want to buy an alternator as the remanufactured don't seem to last from what I have read. I still have the original alternator.
Old 12-09-2016

Did you monitor charging voltage while the lights are pulsating? ( I've seen some pulsate too fast for some voltmeters to display it)

DO you have a (quality) auto electric rebuilder near you? (these usually only rebuild starters and alternators)

Have your alternator rebuilt, make sure the voltage regulator is replaced.
Old 12-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

I second the rebuild idea, I have a guy who does it super cheap but only because Ive known him for so long. Basically only pay for the parts. It beats getting those hit and miss reman ones from the horrorzone....