I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

strange electrical faults, grateful for any help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ryanfitz is an unknown quantity at this point
strange electrical faults, grateful for any help

Hi to all
Bought a 2002 3 door civic yesterday, have found some faults.
Firstly the interior fan doesn't work at all, the ac button flickers.
The electric windows don't work but can hear a buzzing from one switch. Pushing the power window button makes the doors lock and unlock
The right turn signal makes the doors lock and unlock repeatedly. Sometimes though though, the right turn signal activates the headlight height adjustment. Very confusing stuff indeed. Any help in the right direction would be much loved. Thanks for reading
Old 01-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: strange electrical faults, grateful for any help

Hi to all
Bought a 2002 3 door civic yesterday, have found some faults.
Welcome.
Firstly, it sounds like you discovered why the car was for sale.....someone was unable to fix it or it needs a lot of money to fix it.
Did you ask the seller if they already know what is needed to fix the problems?
Do you have the opportunity to return the car to the seller and get your money back?

Assuming you are not in North America, as we do not have headlight adjusting motors here. I may not be able to help much...

That's quite an unusual set of symptoms, more than I usually see on a single car.
Makes me think of a combination of MICU problems and drivers door wire harness problems.

Inspected for body damage and repairs? Body repair shop people are rarely known for being good with electrical issues, and may have forgotten to connect a set of ground (earth) wires or bolted them to a painted surface (bad ground), and Honda sometimes uses clusters of ground wires connected on a single bolt.....which could explain why so many different items are acting up at the same time.

Have you inspected for wiring damage or hacked wiring repairs made by someone?
Have you inspected for water damage, as in maybe the car was caught in a flood or the interior somehow got soaking wet?
Old 01-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
Have you inspected for wiring damage or hacked wiring repairs made by someone?
Sounds like someone could of hacked up the install of a keyless entry system or alarm. Do you have an aftermarket key fob like Viper or Clifford or something?
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ryanfitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Welcome.
Firstly, it sounds like you discovered why the car was for sale.....someone was unable to fix it or it needs a lot of money to fix it.
Did you ask the seller if they already know what is needed to fix the problems?
Do you have the opportunity to return the car to the seller and get your money back?

Assuming you are not in North America, as we do not have headlight adjusting motors here. I may not be able to help much...

That's quite an unusual set of symptoms, more than I usually see on a single car.
Makes me think of a combination of MICU problems and drivers door wire harness problems
Thanks for the reply. I have removed the drivers door panel and have found a seemingly burned connection to the central locking system. Maybe this is having a knock on effect across the rest of the car?
Old 01-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

have found a seemingly burned connection to the central locking system. Maybe this is having a knock on effect across the rest of the car?
Repair it and see what happens.

Pick a system, diagnose it and pursue faults, repair as necessary.
Repeat for other systems with faults. If one repair fixes more than one fault, that's great!