I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

headlights and gauge lights going from dim to bright, alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
headlights and gauge lights going from dim to bright, alternator?

A bit ago my dash lights started going from dim to bright really fast. WHen I took it to a few places they tested it and said the alternator was the problem. A shop I took it to said it was not the alternator and it was fine. They said it could be bad battery connection however they wiped off the cables and gave me a new battery and said that might fix it. The problem is still happening. It doesn't happen consistently, but I notice it at night periodically.

This subforum with ICE appeared to be the exact place to tell my question.

Does this sound like a specific issue?
Old 09-22-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: headlights and gauge lights going from dim to bright, alternator?

Holy crap.

How much of a difference do you notice in your headlights/gauges? Voltage does fluctuate quite a bit during normal operations (something along the lines of 11.4-14.2V) so a bit of dimming is normal. Well, at least that I've noticed in the 13 years of owning my car.
Old 09-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd put a volt meter on it and see what the numbers are as it pulsates....note voltage highs and lows.

Yes voltage going up and down is normal with charging requirements, speeds, and electrical loads (the ELD system), but rapidly pulsing does not sound right.

I'll guess alternator.
Old 09-22-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the really fast part. I maintain that I can't read or write..
Old 09-25-2015
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute

Hi xRiCeBoYx

A few stores have said it's nothing.

A few stores have said it's the voltage regulator.

A few stores have said it's the alternator.

I got some of those papers with the diagrams on them and they show everything is good.

A different places said it might be a bad ground.

One place in particular said it was a bad voltage regulator. Another place said it was the alternator.

The car starts fine. THe dash just gets dimmer and brighter really instantly. It doesn't happen every trip. I drove from illinois to california and it started like halfway through. CHanging the dash display doesn't fix it, they still continue to change based on how bright I Have it set.
Old 09-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IronFist

A few stores have said it's the voltage regulator.

A few stores have said it's the alternator.

One place in particular said it was a bad voltage regulator. Another place said it was the alternator.
Effectively, those are all the same answer.
The voltage regulator is inside the alternator.

You aren't going to change one without changing the other unless you want to try to split the alternator open and gut it.

We have a rebuilder in my town that uses the cheapest parts for rebuilding starters and alternators.... I've seen your exact complaint several times.

I got some of those papers with the diagrams on them and they show everything is good.
Printout from a tester? LOL
Honda forces us to use those dang things.....I've got some opinions but I better not say a lot about it here:

70% accurate is just as good as 100% accurate, right?
That would be a sh!tty record if you were a sniper.