I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stinger RCAs won't stay plugged in...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redcloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Stinger RCAs won't stay plugged in...

Got an entire install finished (HU, amp, fr speakers, sub) and I'm testing out the sound in the garage, engine off, and the left front speaker suddenly cut out.

The amp is mounted vertically on the back of the "40%" rear seat back, so the wires all hang down.

I almost took the door panel off AGAIN, but decided to check around first, and one of the interconnects was just hanging there. It had come off just from the vibration of the sub behind it.

These are Stingers 6000 RCAs, and I've read that some models have a rotating lock mechanism built into the plug. You're supposed to unscrew the plug end, put it on the amp, then screw it back on.

Only problem is, MINE DON"T SCREW, not on, off, up, or around. Or at least if they do, I haven't discovered how they screw.

I called Stinger customer service (HA!), and the guy didn't even know if the 6000 had that end on it or not. Didn't inspire confidence.

Any ideas anyone, besides Super Glue?

Many thanks,

Red

(System sounds great, by the way, thanks to some very knowledgeable and friendly folks here. Thanks a million, guys.)
Old 09-03-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Stinger RCAs won't stay plugged in...

Originally Posted by redcloud
Any ideas anyone, besides Super Glue?
Well running a new line would be best but I would use hot glue over super glue. Just a dab should hold it.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Oh man.

The whole car is finally back together, and now this, right at the very end.

But you're right. Replacing the lines would be best.

I wonder if it is something about Rockford Fosgate amps and their female plugs?

Any recommendations on better RCAs? These Stingers cost a fortune and turned out to be crap.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I would not use any type of glue. You could try adjusting the outer part of the RCA plug so that it grips the RCA plug on the amp tighter.
Old 09-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A little squeeze with pliers might tighten the grip?
Old 09-03-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

It is the weight of the wires that pulls it out of the socket. You just need to get some slack in the rca and then support the cable with a clamp or a wire tire. Clamps or wire ties such as these should give you the support you need.

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...-Cable-Clamps/

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...ble-Ties/&pg=2

Almost all OEM connectors will be supported at the connector shell and will have a support of some kind approximately 3 inches from the connector on the harness itself to prevent stress on the connection points.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
It is the weight of the wires that pulls it out of the socket. You just need to get some slack in the rca and then support the cable with a clamp or a wire tire. Clamps or wire ties such as these should give you the support you need.

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...-Cable-Clamps/

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...ble-Ties/&pg=2

Almost all OEM connectors will be supported at the connector shell and will have a support of some kind approximately 3 inches from the connector on the harness itself to prevent stress on the connection points.
Oh, thank you! Thank you! I didn't know these things existed.

I assume the cable tie mount's hole is for a screw, and the rest of the tie closes around the bundle of wires, right?

As my mother used to say, "I'll dance at your wedding for this." Thank you so much.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by redcloud
I assume the cable tie mount's hole is for a screw, and the rest of the tie closes around the bundle of wires, right?
yeah that's what's it for. you can probably bend the wire such that it wants to push back into the amp and then screw down the zip tie. That way there's a little pressure on it to hold it into the amp.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Found the cable clamps at Lowe's, the same cushioned ones as in the link above. They didn't have the cable ties with screw holes. I'll put them on tomorrow and let you know how they work.

Still a shame about the plugs falling off.
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Well the clamps have worked perfectly so far.

Pushing slack through the clamp so that it forces the plugs to stay on and then tightening down the clamp is a stop-gap measure, but to me it is preferable to tearing out the entire install and replacing the RCAs, at least at this point of exhaustion with the build. Maybe later I'll take on the fix, when I'm not burned out on it.

Crutchfield was not amused when I suggested that Rockford Fosgate was at fault here, and they probably aren't, though the idea that RF could manufacture an amp using non-standard plugs is not excusable.

I have read literally hundreds of reviews of the Stinger 6000 RCAs, none of which expressed any complaint about loose plug ends.

Crutchfield's big suggestion was for me to cut off the existing plugs and replace them with "Monster Turbine RCA connectors rather than just regular RCA connections," to quote their email. I have no idea what it would take to attach new plugs on a shielded cable. Seems like it would be WAY more complex than a simple solder job.

Anyway, all the thanks in the world to all of you for your outstanding help and advice. Couldn't have done this install without you, and I would never have thought of the cable clamp idea to save it at the end.

Cheers to all you good men!