I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

car misfires when green key light and check engine are on

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davidarenberg is an unknown quantity at this point
car misfires when green key light and check engine are on

2005 Civic 5-spd, aftermarket keyless remote entry system. Alternator light usually stays on tho alt is fine. When I leave the key in the ignition position too long while car is not running or press the "valet" setting on keyless entry remote the green key light starts flashing, the check engine light comes on, the alternator light turns off, and the car misfires. I turn the key back to the off position and then it starts and runs fine although alt light is on.
Old 05-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: car misfires when green key light and check engine are on

aftermarket keyless remote entry system.
Return to your installer......
Sure sounds like a poor quality (unit or install, take your pick). Loose connections are popular.

I'd actually try to remove all aftermarket stuff and return the car to 100% original, make sure it all works as the factory intended, and if it is good then blame the aftermarket stuff for your troubles.

If there's still a problem after the aftermarket stuff is eliminated, then it takes a lot of guessing out of the way.
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davidarenberg is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the car used with this stupid keyless entry system. I took it to a place that installs these things to have it removed; when the technician disconnected it he could not stop the car from misfiring. The only way he could make the car run right was to reconnect it. He said he had never seen anything like it in his life. Another thing that I forgot to mention in my first post: when I first got the car my mechanic could not connect to the computer. Then he replaced the ELD and said that a voltage overload had caused the alternator light to stay on, and that I shouldn't worry about it, just keep checking the battery. Does this sound right?
Old 05-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and that I shouldn't worry about it, just keep checking the battery. Does this sound right?
Hell no.

green key light starts flashing,
my mechanic could not connect to the computer.
a voltage overload
misfiring.
never seen anything like it in his life
Alternator light usually stays on tho alt is fine
green key light starts flashing,
the check engine light comes on,
the alternator light turns off,
Hmmmm..... Do any of the gauges also act whacko at any point?

Go put a wrench on all 3 alternator mounting bolts, see if any were left loose.
(2 mount bolts for the alternator, one more for the bottom bracket that bolts to the block)

EDIT: Check block ground cables too
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

sounds like somebody jacked up the wiring. most of the brains for the key less entry system have a fuse in the "brain" of the system. Should be a little black box under the dash somewhere that looks like the picture. You could try pulling the fuse out and see if that helps any. not sure if that's all your other mechanic did. most of the keyless entry systems act as relays really so it sounds like it could be sending voltage somewhere the isn't expecting voltage and either shorting out a sensor or shorting out the ECM.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	viper.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	87732