I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Trouble w/ interior light, check engine light, & gas gauge - related??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
werdnahall is an unknown quantity at this point
Trouble w/ interior light, check engine light, & gas gauge - related??

Just a few days ago I bought a 2003 Civic LX, though before buying I asked about the front passenger side window, which wasn't working, and the seller agreed to have it fixed by his mechanic. I was told that it involved replacing a switch. A couple days later we complete the transaction, and the window works fine, but upon getting home I notice that the interior light doesn't come on when the door is opened -- the light itself works, as I can switch it on manually, but it doesn't respond to the door. (It was daytime when I first say the car, so I unfortunately didn't notice whether the light came on or not prior to the mechanic working on the door.) At this point I sort of shrug it off. Then another issue comes up when I'm driving to work the next day, and I notice that my 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank is suddenly reading out as nearly empty, and the fuel light comes on. I've read elsewhere on this forum that this is known to happen to Civics of this era (fuel sending unit perhaps?). The gauge later stabilized, and with a fuller tank I haven't had an issue yet. Around the same time the gauge was being wacky, though, the 'malfunction' light came on, and has stayed on the last day or so.

I guess my main question before taking this up with the seller (though he doesn't technically owe me anything it could be worth a shot), or going to a mechanic, is whether some or all of these issues are likely to be related. Could bad wiring done when repairing the door explain not only the interior light, but the malfunction light, or funky fuel gauge? (And how urgent does any of this sound as far as potential damage to the car?) So far the car seems to run great... I really appreciate any help on this!
Old 05-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trouble w/ interior light, check engine light, & gas gauge - related??

though, the 'malfunction' light came on, and has stayed on the last day or so.
See what fault codes are stored.

the interior light doesn't come on when the door is opened
Set the switch in the correct position (DOOR) and see if it will come on when any other doors are opened.
Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

Regarding doors, no, the light does not come on when any of the doors are opened in the door setting. As for fault codes, I'm afraid I'm not that tech savvy. I may be able to get some help from a friend on that. What would I be looking for there? As for fault codes, I'm afraid I'm not that tech savvy. I may be able to get some help from a friend on that. What would I be looking for there?

Last edited by Poopies; 05-14-2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Un-edited lol
Old 05-14-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by werdnahall
As for fault codes, I'm afraid I'm not that tech savvy. I may be able to get some help from a friend on that. What would I be looking for there? As for fault codes, I'm afraid I'm not that tech savvy. I may be able to get some help from a friend on that. What would I be looking for there?
You can get the computer scanned for free at most auto parts stores. Autozone definitely does this.
Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

Thanks, good to know. I have an Advance Auto Parts nearby..
Old 05-14-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, good to know. I have an Advance Auto Parts nearby..
They should do it too! Don't let them sell you anything until you look up the codes though
Old 05-14-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Get the actual code numbers, not just their description and parts shopping list.
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

OK, thanks guys. I'll go by there tomorrow and try to get the actual codes..
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

So it turned out to be a P1457 - EVAP emission control system leak. I've been told that could mean a number of things.. Could it be as minor as not tightening the gas cap well enough? I cleared the code, so now to see if it comes back or not..
Old 05-16-2015
Super Moderator

So it turned out to be a P1457 - EVAP emission control system leak. I've been told that could mean a number of things.. Could it be as minor as not tightening the gas cap well enough? I cleared the code, so now to see if it comes back or not..
Sounds like a good plan to me!
Old 05-16-2015

And now we know the check engine light is unrelated to the dome lights issue.
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

Good point. OK, thanks again for the tips everyone. So far so good on the malfunction light (and the fuel gauge issue). I'll update as needed.