I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

No DRL on Civic 2001, so why not connect the lights to the ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray Darvi is an unknown quantity at this point
No DRL on Civic 2001, so why not connect the lights to the ignition?

I got a 2001 Civic LX 4 door with no DRL function. First of all I was like maybe there's no such a feature on this model. After googling about it I found people talking about it on the same model, but I wasn't able to find the module s described on forums and YouTube.

I took of the gauge cluster and there's no DRL light on it like this video: [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C44v3ZtyLvg#t=12[/YOUTUBE]
finally I figured out I was right at the beginning and the car doesn't have the DRL feature.

My question is can anybody give me a good technical reason to not connect the lights to the ignition, so when you turn the key in ignition, the lights go on?

Please don't tell me something like it'll blow the wiring or burn it!

Thanks

Last edited by Ray Darvi; 09-13-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No DRL on Civic 2001, so why not connect the lights to the ignition?

Originally Posted by Ray Darvi
I got a 2001 Civic LX 4 door with no DRL function. First of all I was like maybe there's no such a feature on this model. After googling about it I found people talking about it on the same model, but I wasn't able to find the module s described on forums and YouTube.

I took of the gauge cluster and there's no DRL light on it like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C44v3ZtyLvg#t=12
finally I figured out I was right at the beginning and the car doesn't have the DRL feature.

Canada got DRLs, not us.

You are in the USA. That car is not equipped with DRL at all, and never was.
Honda did not give us DRL until the 2006 model year for Civics.

My question is can anybody give me a good technical reason to not connect the lights to the ignition, so when you turn the key in ignition, the lights go on?
Sure.
You wouldn't connect headlight power to the ignition switch, they already have power supplied. Operation is controlled on the ground side.

If you study a wiring diagram they would simply need a ground supplied to one wire at the headlight switch circuit to turn the lights on at the desired time.

Now that I think about it, the main ground for the switch could be controlled by a relay and you just leave the switch on all the time: Automatic ON headlights and taillights.

Even then, the lights will still using valuable battery power that is needed by the starter, unless you connect the relay(s) to the ignition power circuit that shuts off during cranking (called "hot in run only"), same circuit as the blower fan (this doesn't really become critical until winter or you have a weak battery).

Please don't tell me something like it'll blow the wiring or burn it!

Thanks
It can be done if you really want it.

HTH
Old 09-13-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

DRL are high beams (so as to be visible) but at half power (to not blind oncoming traffic).

What you propose would be solved by two clicks on the ****, but will NOT be a DRL...
Old 09-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray Darvi is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I didn't know that the head lights harness is supplying negative (not positive 12V)!

Tried to do what was in my mind, but figured out I can't do it without additional equipment. Cause the ignition harness supplies positive 12V and I need something to change it to negative to connect to the headlights harness.

Is something like positive to negative relay out there to purchase? If so, Where I can find it? I tried googling that but wasn't sure that which one I have to choose!?
Old 09-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

connect to the headlights harness.
The headlight switch harness, not the headlight harness.

You want to control the lights by taking the place of the switch, not operate them directly.

You FIRST should get a wiring diagram-- and a good understanding of how the entire system works.

Is something like positive to negative relay out there to purchase? If so, Where I can find it? I tried googling that but wasn't sure that which one I have to choose!?
You use an ordinary 5 pin relay. You can wire it to accomplish whatever it is you need it to do.

Browse on this site: http://www.the12volt.com/ there are plenty of helpful diagrams and info on relays, among other things.