I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

What did I do to mess up my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarWrecker is an unknown quantity at this point
What did I do to mess up my car

I'll start out by saying that I have a 2004 Honda Civic sedan and I just recently purchased it. I was trying to replace the original stereo with one that I had in my old vehicle. I purchased a harness from online and put all the wires together as they should be. The stereo is a JVC KD-X50BT.

When I plugged it into my car and turned it on, a message came on the screen to check the wiring. I believe one of the wires that I didn't need was touching another wire as I hadn't cut off the end of that wire yet. So I fixed that problem but when I tried again, the stereo wouldn't turn on. Only the display button would work. I tried to reset the stereo to no avail.

I rewired the harness together because I read online that that may help. However, when I plugged it in this time even the display button wouldn't work. I figured out that I had blown a fuse and so I replaced it.

This is where the real trouble begins. After replacing the fuse, I have noticed a few things that have happened to my car. First is that not even the original radio will work when I plug is back in. The second thing is my trip a and trip b mile counters both reset themselves to 0. The third thing is that my lock and unlock button will only work while the engine is running now and when I try to lock the door with my key, it ONLY locks the drivers' side door. The second and third thing aren't a big deal, but I just want to know what I did to mess my car up and how I can get the stereo to start working again.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!
Old 08-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did I do to mess up my car

Sounds like you blew the back up fuse in the engine compartment fusebox.

Also, make sure the illumination wires in the adapter harness are not connected to anything. You may burn out the gauge cluster if they are connected.
Old 08-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarWrecker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like you blew the back up fuse in the engine compartment fusebox.

Also, make sure the illumination wires in the adapter harness are not connected to anything. You may burn out the gauge cluster if they are connected.
The backup fuse in the engine compartment isn't blown. However, i'll check the illumination wires in the adapter tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Radio diagrams show
Fuse #9 in the engine compartment fusebox
Fuse #8 in the dash fusebox.

Fuses intact....How about the fuse(s) in the back of the new radio or in its harness?

Voltmeter testing, there should be 2 hots at the radio with the key on.

Test all the fuses in the car using the voltmeter, your original radio no longer working coupled with your description of the power locks still sounds like a blown back up fuse to me...

HTH