I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Speaker Upgrade Recommendation for 02 Civic LX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phris is an unknown quantity at this point
Speaker Upgrade Recommendation for 02 Civic LX Coupe

Folks,

I've been trying to search through the forums all day and can't quite seem to come to any real conclusions regarding audio. Right now I've got an 02 LX Coupe with:

Headunit: Pioneer DEH-1300MP (14W RMS)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uytCWk5...EH-1300MP.html
Front: Stock
Rear: Stock (?), but have been blown out since I got the car
No sail panel tweeters or anything.

I figure the fronts/rears could use an upgrade; you tell me if upgrading the headunit would be worthwhile.

Whoever the first owner of the car was ran a 16AWG blue wire all the way from the driver's side fuse panel to the trunk, presumably for an amp; I suspect this is why the rears are blown out.

I listen to mostly rock music, but I'm going more for clarity in reproduction than anything else. There's enough string instruments involved to make clarity key. Looking to spend in the neighborhood of $100-$200, but I'm flexible up to probably $300; I'm in the car an hour a day so I should make it worthwhile. I have no intention of putting in a sub, just given that I need full trunk capacity with an alarming regularity. Hopefully the 6x9s do enough on the low end, but if not, I'll get my bass at home. Not looking to outdo the $1500 stereo in my living room.

I'm not particularly afraid of any work it would involve, but I'd like to keep the modifications required to a minimum if possible. Don't mind making spacers and whatnot; I have just about every shop tool (laser cutter, mill, 3D printer) at my disposal.

So, uh, yeah. From what I can tell, lotsa folks around here like the Infinity Reference series, but it seems there's varying opinions on how well it fits.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Speaker Upgrade Recommendation for 02 Civic LX Coupe

Originally Posted by phris
I figure the fronts/rears could use an upgrade; you tell me if upgrading the headunit would be worthwhile.
Probably not unless you want a feature like BT if it doesn't have it already. A new radio is only going to push 22watts RMS so not a big difference in power handling. A 4 channel amp would be the best bet for adding power and sound but it's probably more than you want to put in it.

Whoever the first owner of the car was ran a 16AWG blue wire all the way from the driver's side fuse panel to the trunk
Could be a control/trigger wire for the amp, suppose to wired to the radio so when the radio turns on the amp cuts on, but if they never replaced the factory radio it may have been used for the same purpose.

So, uh, yeah. From what I can tell, lotsa folks around here like the Infinity Reference series, but it seems there's varying opinions on how well it fits.
Yeah Infinity makes a really nice speaker, not sure on the fitment. I'm partial to Alpine but it's really listening preferences.
Old 08-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Najitsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Speaker Upgrade Recommendation for 02 Civic LX Coupe

Folks,

Thoughts?

The 6x9 3way infinity reference speakers sound amazing! They have good bass, but using them with an increased bass setting will shorten their life from what I have read online. The sound quality and highs are also excellent. I have them running off my HU with 22 Watt RMS.

I may need to get a 5 channel amp for all my speakers and 10 inch sub.

In order to make them fit you will need to drill new holes and remove the torsion bars because the magnets are just too big.

When you remove the torsion bars the trunk wont stay open by itself so you may need to consider modifying the trunk to have an auto open or something to prop it open when you need both hands.. There are some DIY guides on these forums on how to create an auto open trunk.

when researching for the right speakers for the rear I thought these infinity references 6x9 3ways would fit due to the mouting depth being with in limits but i didn't consider the magnet size. You will have the same issue for many 6x9 speakers unless you find an exact fit using crutch field.