I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amp wiring configuration (02 civic EX coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Najitsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Amp wiring configuration (02 civic EX coupe)

I recently purchased a Used 2002 Honda Civic coupe EX. I have been putting a little TLC into the vehicle and will be replacing the rear 6x9 speakers, due to them being blown.

Since i'm replacing the rear speakers, I would like to replace the front ones as well. (I don't plan on replacing the tweeters.)

I have decided on ordering the infinity reference 6x9 speakers and the 6.5 front speakers.
the 6x9= 100w RMS with a max of 300W
the 6.5=60W RMS with a max of 180W
Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 9633cf 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High Performance 3-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 9633cf 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High Performance 3-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

My HU is a JVC KD-AHD69 that came with the car. It offers MOSFET 50Wx4 (20WRMS)

From my older Honda accord I have a pre-existing MOSFET 300W 2 channel amp that was connected to a pioneer 10 inch sub (200W RMS) w/ max of 1000w.

In order to get max clarity out of these new speakers I will need a 4 channel amp.
I know how to set-up an amp and sub, but i'm not sure how to properly wire the speakers.

The HU isn't enough to power all 6 speakers ( 2 front, 2 rear and 2 tweeters.)

This is where i'm confused, i'm not sure how to properly power/wire all 6 speakers.

This is what i have been thinking (not sure if this is possible since I have only set up an amp and sub once before and never altered the speakers)

I could use the 4 channel amp to power the 4 new speakers with at least 100w RMS each? and then use the HU to power the tweeters.....but the tweeters may receive too much since i'm not sure how much they can take being factory tweets.

I could use the 4 channel amp for the 2 rear speakers and a sub then use the HU to power the 4 front speakers (tweets plus 6.5s)

This idea here is most appealing so far since it will save me some money(I use the head unit for the 2 front speakers and the 2 front tweeters) Then i use my old 300W 2 channel amp to power the 2 rear speakers. This was the front speakers get 50 watts each and the rears can get 150w each. I may not even need the SUB either.

Anyone that has more experience with setting up car audio systems please let me know what you think about this.
Does a 2ohm impedence mean that the 20W(RMS) = a constant 40 w to the front speakers....?( if so, then pushing 40w to a 60w RMS speaker means less quality sound?
Is this possible?
Could i use a higher wattage 4 channel amp to power everything in the car?
what are the pros and cons?
What do you think the best way is to wire the car speakers to the amp?

Last edited by Najitsu; 07-20-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Amp wiring configuration (02 civic EX coupe)

I have never seen a car that used a separate power supply for their tweeters. I know there are people who do, but they are usually in competitions.

The way I would do it is get the 4 channel amp, get a pair of component mids for the front then use a crossover to separate out the sound correctly. (I would replace the tweeters as most aftermarket will sound better than the stock) What you are going to run into is two different competing sounds of tweeters in the front. The high frequencies are going to be hitting your ears at different times and depending on how your hearing is, it may not be pleasing.
You could also disconnect the tweeters on the new speakers and use the built in crossover to hook up the stock tweeters, but you are probably going backwards in sound quality. (or use an external crossover and hook the new speakers to the low side and the stock tweeters to the high side)

Quote "Does a 2ohm impedence mean that the 20W(RMS) = a constant 40 w to the front speakers....?" Nothing in volume levels is constant. If you are referring to using the head unit driven at 2 ohms to obtain the 40w, that would only be at full volume. The problem is that most head units are not 2 ohm stable. (that JVC being one that is not stable. "Load Impedance 4Ω (4 - 8Ω allowable)")

However you decide to wire the stock tweeters, make sure there is an inline crossover somewhere. If there isn't, you will destroy them the first time you crank up the volume.

And I would never amplify the rear speakers more than the fronts, especially at the levels you are considering. That would be like going to a concert and sitting backwards. I run with just a pair of high end speakers in the door and a single 10" rear facing sub in the back and you would never know there are only 3 speakers in the car.

Quote"Could i use a higher wattage 4 channel amp to power everything in the car?"
Depends on what you mean by everything. If you mean the 6 speakers and no sub, absolutely. If you mean the 6 speakers and the sub, yes, it can be done but I wouldn't. You would lose any control over your fader, have no control over the sensitivity of the speakers and their output volume, and you would have to do some creative wiring in parallel and series to stay in the impedance range of the amp.

So I just noticed that you have selected 2 ohm speakers. Those will not work with your head unit without eventual damage. You will burn out the amplifier section of the head unit if you try to maintain high volumes. You will really need to use an amp that is 2 ohm stable. That said, you could wire up the front and the tweeters (with an inline crossover) in series and probably have a load that would work with the head unit. (depends on the impedance of the tweeters, probably 8 ohm)

Not sure if any of this help. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
The way I would do it is get the 4 channel amp, get a pair of component mids for the front then use a crossover to separate out the sound correctly. (I would replace the tweeters as most aftermarket will sound better than the stock) What you are going to run into is two different competing sounds of tweeters in the front. The high frequencies are going to be hitting your ears at different times and depending on how your hearing is, it may not be pleasing.
Thank you that has given me some new ideas.

When you say two different competing sounds of tweeters this is if i throw in the front three ways?
If I put some three ways in the back this should be fine right?

The speakers are also-True Four Ohms but it says in the specs that they're 2 ohm impedance?
All Reference speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance "seen" by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Reference Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.

So it sounds like a lot of work and a little too complex for my level of expertise.To be honest I originally only planned on replacing the rears because the front speakers and tweeters sound fine. the Honda has 116k on it so i know it should last for quite some time, but i don't need a top of the line audio system. I believe i will be more then happy to just replace the rears with the three way infinity 6x9. Maybe i will throw in my old 10inch sub and amp to just power the sub again. that level of wiring is simple to me lol

Do you think the rear speakers will be ok with the level of wattage from the HU?
Old 07-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

They should be fine as they have a sensitivity rating of 94 dB at 2.83 volts which is pretty high.

And yes, the competing sound would be if you installed the fronts.

It's not that difficult to wire up the speakers, it's just a matter of figuring out if it will sound OK.
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

evansdad331 is an unknown quantity at this point

just use the 4 channel amp for the front and rears. and you can use the hu to run the tweets, but bass blockers are a must!!!!!. the amp will give you better tuning and set at full pass. and the head unit at at 0 on bass. then run a seperat amp for your sub/subs. no need to to something the wrong way and have more problems. the right way and no problems.
Old 08-21-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
They should be fine as they have a sensitivity rating of 94 dB at 2.83 volts which is pretty high.

And yes, the competing sound would be if you installed the fronts.

It's not that difficult to wire up the speakers, it's just a matter of figuring out if it will sound OK.
Thank you so much for your help.

So now I have installed the 3 way infinity reference 6x9s in the rear with a little modification-removing the torsion bars so the fat *** magnets could fit and I had to drill new holes in order to mount the speakers correctly.
The total process took me all day....

Was it worth it.... HELL YEAH!

The speakers sound amazing! I have even wired my old 300 Watt Amp-150Watt RMS bridged to my 10 inch pioneer sub. The system sounds so much better!

.....However it's almost like the front speakers are non existent.....I know they're there but most of the quality sound comes from the rear which is to be expected. It doesn't bother me that much but i now would like to replace the front speakers and possibly the tweeters based on your advice.

I'm thinking of getting

Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

or

Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

One would require me to replace the current front door panel speakers and the tweeters while the other would require just the front door panel speakers.

This would require less work But not sure how it would sound. Would having the two way 6.5 coaxial speakers in the doors cause the current tweeters to be out of sync? Since i would have Two tweeters one from the speaker and one currently installed. Also I would get less bass, but not concerned since I get all my bass from the 10 inch sub.

Would the best possible sound come from replacing the door speakers and the current tweets? I would imagine the sound to be better with a good balance in quality from all speaker instead of just from the rear of the vehicle.