I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Please help! Short in wiring…

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex_MA is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help! Short in wiring…

I have a 2002 Civic EX with approximately 136K miles. Car runs fine for 1.5 years after it was bought. The only electrical problem was an intermittent battery charging light flashing every 20 seconds or so and only if no headlights ON. I relay that to the old battery or not so good alternator. Battery was replaced and since headlights are always ON (for safety), nothing else give any indications of the problems.
Recently car dies while it was on the road. Towed it home and trying to fix since then.
When starting the car everything looks normal until turning the ignition switch to start position. After that everything became dead. Turned the key to OFF position the speedometer and tachometer arrows started moving up with strange sound. All dead again after several seconds.
Removed battery and alternator. Checked for short in wiring – of cause it is present. Started tracing from fuse/relay box under hood, then disconnect it completely. Traced short in couple of connection blocks used to connect to the box. Disconnected ignition switch, no luck.
Wondering if someone have an information/diagram outlining what connection block/pin associated with downstream systems. Unfortunately everything connected the way that it is not easy to identify what fuse/relay is connecting into which wire. As a last resort I will be pulling all fuses from under the dash, but not everything going through that place.
Will appreciate any help and/or suggestions…

Thank you!
Old 05-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please help! Short in wiring…

What all goes dead? Everything in the interior? Does the horn still work after everything else quits? Hazard lights?

I'd start in the engine compartment fusebox, not the dash fusebox.

This starter diagram was on Google, looks pretty close?

From your description, I expect it won't be a short, it will be an open. The load of trying to crank it causes the weak spot in the circuit to open.

Battery cable, cable end, cable connection, ground points on the body and engine, etc.
Old 05-18-2014
Registered!!

Thank you ezone for a quick reply. I didn't check the horn, but when starting the car all lights etc. are shutting down and all electrical components became dead. I tried starting car only couple of times only to prevent further possible issues.
Again, I disconnected alternator and fuse/relay box in motor compartment. Battery is removed. Traced short in several connections in couple of connectors going to fuse box (motor area). Please refer to pic below.
Currently looking for information on what each connection is for what system. Unfortunately all electrical diagrams I have access to (internet or books) doesn't specify that. Previously used All-Data the pro mechanics are using, but lost access to that.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667 - Copy.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	86658  
Old 05-18-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I see 2 problems here.

#1, if you have that on ohms you are chasing your tail. That is not how you find a weak or open circuit. Put the car back together and start over, use voltage drop testing instead.

#2, if you are shoving the probe into female terminals you are probably spreading them out and will cause yourself even more problems from poor or no contact when you reconnect the other half. Learn how to backprobe a connection, and use finer wire such as a paper clip, T pin, safety pin, or dedicated backprobing adapters for your meter..... to make contact with a terminal.

http://www.enduringautomotive.com/how-to-back-probe-a-sensor/

Old 05-18-2014
Registered!!

Thank you! I will try that...

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 05-18-2014