I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Choosing the right keyless entry remote based on receiver FCC ID?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough
Choosing the right keyless entry remote based on receiver FCC ID?

Hello everyone,

I know I may not be totally involved in this forum and that I may simply fade out and fade in when necessary for my own selfish interest and every time I write a long novel and ask tons of questions, so I apologize in advance . I'll try to make it quick and simple.

You can skip the introduction part if you want (just realized how unnecessary it was) to the smiley.

First of all, obviously, as the title implies, I want to install a Honda factory keyless entry although some parts are discontinued such as the harness. The receiver and remote on the other hand don't seem to be. Anyways, I went ahead and bought for really cheap a keyless entry receiver module from a scrap yard, even bought two since I got them for 10$!

My car is a 2004 Honda Civic 4 Doors DX-SE (Special-Edition) with power windows, AC, tachometer and tinted back windows and rear glass. It didn't have keyless entry install but it doesn't have the 2-pin connector ready to accommodate a keyless entry harness (discontinued) and receiver from Honda. Since the harness is no longer available, I'm going to solder it into the existing harness, that is why I also cut the wires and connector from the car I took it from. A connector having 5 pins.

that was long!

But that's not the point. Here's the thing, I heard that in order to get the right remote, one has to look for the FCC ID on the existing remote (in the case it is broken). But I don't have one obviously. All I have is the FCC ID on the receiver I bought.

Here are the numbers:
P/N: 38385-S5A-A
FCC ID: NHVWD1U521
Canada: 3494 102 1850A

From what I have read and from the remotes on ebay I saw, there are two possible FCC ID: NHVWB1U521/NHVWB1U523.
Now my question is, does the FCC ID on the remote has to match perfectly with the FCC ID on the receiver? Because in this case, it doesn't. Although it may appear identical, there's a slight letter off, it's the letter D in the receiver.

Receiver:NHVWD1U521
Remote: NHVWB1U521

On Ebay, some sellers says it might work, although I'm not sure if it is because they don't see the difference between those numbers or if they are really positive.

I even checked in another scrap yard and there was a Civic from US with this VIN 1HGEM21592L805420 and it had the same FCC ID on the receiver. Oh yeah, by the way, I'm from Canada. That confirms that my receiver FCC ID isn't a Canadian part, it actually shares the same part from the US market.

On Toronto Honda Parts (Canada), I entered both a Canadian VIN (2HGES16452H905205) and the US VIN (1HGEM21592L805420), and the same part number came up:
72147-S5A-A01 (Canadian part number)
same as
08E61-S5D-1M002 (US part number)

US VIN Keyless part numbers
CAN VIN keyless part numbers

There's also someone on the forum who had a working receiver and transmitter with the same FCC ID that I have here. NHVWD1U521 and NHVWB1U521. This really confirms it. But I have to be sure before buying a used one from Ebay or a new one from HondaAutomotiveParts (Majestic Honda) for really cheap:
08E61-S5D-1M001 TRANSMITTER, KEYLESS 27.41$

As you can see, I sort of did my homework, modestly speaking .
Now I just need someone or some people on this forum to corroborate that it can actually work either by experience, or by actually verifying it themselves in the center console right behind the 12 volt socket, the FCC ID on the receiver unit, if someone would be kind enough. .

One last question, do they actually still sell those keyless remote, even the receiver? Can't be sure if the websites is totally up to date.

Well thank you in advance for reading this and for complying with my selfish requests. xD Very appreciated.

Last edited by Thaik; 04-26-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Adding Canadian VIN for reference and Toronto Honda Parts website link
Old 07-25-2014
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough
Re: Choosing the right keyless entry remote based on receiver FCC ID?

**SOLVED**

I just want to mention that this topic is solved.

The FCC ID on the remote doesn't have to totally match exactly the FCC ID on the receiver, at least, this is how it is for our 7th generation civic.

Whether your FCC ID on your remote is
NHVWB1U521
or
NHVWB1U523

It will work without any problem.
Even if it doesn't match totally:
NHVWD1U521

The proof is I have a remote ending with 523 and having a B instead of a D and it works perfectly.

Some people say it is better to be safe and buy one remote with the last digit matching the one on your receiver but it doesn't matter.

What matters is that you don't use a remote that is made for the keyless entry receiver installed as an accessory with a factory installed keyless entry receiver, and vice versa.
Old 10-15-2015
Registered!!

J-AnideM is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Choosing the right keyless entry remote based on receiver FCC ID?

Hello, I too am looking into getting keyless entry for my 2003 Honda Civic LX (US Car) and I have a few questions:

1. 08E61-S5D-1M001 (TRANSMITTER, KEYLESS)
08E61-S5D-1M002 (TRANSMITTER, KEYLESS RECEIVER)

Did you end up getting both of these?

2. How did you get it installed and how much did it cost you?

3. I ordered this:
KeylessOption Replacement Keyless Entry Remote Control Key Fob Click Compatible With NHVWB1U521 NHVWB1U523, Keyless Entry Systems - Amazon Canada KeylessOption Replacement Keyless Entry Remote Control Key Fob Click Compatible With NHVWB1U521 NHVWB1U523, Keyless Entry Systems - Amazon Canada

Should I just order the keyless receiver?

I too am from Canada btw.