I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Alternator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: DIY: Alternator Replacement

okay now i see.....

it is very common for that top part to fit in VERY tight/snug, i think i had to hit mine with a block of wood and hammer to get it to go back in after my last timing belt job (hit the wood with the hammer, not the alt)

its normal (in my experience) for that to be a very tight fit, i recall cursing at it for quite some time, i would keep trying, i dont think its a problem with the alt or design,

how far is it off?

measure the distance across that span on the old alternator, and measure the span on the new alternator
Old 01-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mag1c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
okay now i see.....

it is very common for that top part to fit in VERY tight/snug, i think i had to hit mine with a block of wood and hammer to get it to go back in after my last timing belt job (hit the wood with the hammer, not the alt)

its normal (in my experience) for that to be a very tight fit, i recall cursing at it for quite some time, i would keep trying, i dont think its a problem with the alt or design,

how far is it off?

measure the distance across that span on the old alternator, and measure the span on the new alternator
I planned on hitting it like you suggested but I'm wondering if they somehow sent me the wrong alt bc the OP's is the same one I have and his does not have the groove...

It was a tight fight getting the old alt off and was a bit of a pain but there is no way I will be able to get the new alt on without hammering the groove in quite a bit as it protrudes out too much and the old alt has no groove protruding at all.

I took a break for now but I will measure the distance next time I go to the garage.
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

So I started up the car today and heard a squealing sound. Turned the car off immediately and noticed the power steering belt is loose but yesterday after putting it all back together it was tight as can be, the belt on the alternator seemed tight and fine. The power steering belt is loose as can be though...

One thing I did notice when putting the power steering pump belt back and the other belt was that the wing nuts didn't really seem to tension the belt as much as where I moved the alternator/power steering pump. Those tightened up the belt when being moved.

Any ideas what to do from here?
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

you have totally lost me.....

you should only tighten the alt bolts and power steering pump bolts FINGER TIGHT,

after that you tighten the wing nut(s) till the belt is properly tensioned,

THEN you tighten all the bolts,

did you do everything in this order?
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

you have totally lost me.....

you should only tighten the alt bolts and power steering pump bolts FINGER TIGHT,

after that you tighten the wing nut(s) till the belt is properly tensioned,

THEN you tighten all the bolts,

did you do everything in this order?
Sorry I think I'm being pretty paranoid.

I went back and tightened the power steering belt properly. Then, drove the car around the block (AFTER letting it idle about 10 minutes.)

Here is a video of the engine running:

https://*******/NlwL

I think I'm probably being paranoid but there is a slight wizzing sound by the belt area. Or does this sound normal to you?
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

the only "wizzing" sound i hear is your power steering pump,

and that sounds normal to me
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

the only "wizzing" sound i hear is your power steering pump,

and that sounds normal to me
Alright. I figured I was being paranoid. This is the first "major"(to me anyways) car repair I've done.

Thanks for your help and to the OP for a great DIY. Even noobs like me can do it!
Old 01-25-2015
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for not seeing this earlier (Not very active on forums as much anymore)
Thank you mikey for stepping in and helping the guy.

I believe my replacement had a similar issue with the shim protruding.
I think I just hammered it in flush, which was like 1 or 2 small hits, I wasn't going all hulk smash on the thing.
That's why its important to inspect for any differences once you pull the old one out.
Glad everything worked out for ya.
Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

roguebetty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there, quick question. What year(s) civic is this valid for? Just want to check before I get started. Thanks darlin'
Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by roguebetty
Hey there, quick question. What year(s) civic is this valid for? Just want to check before I get started. Thanks darlin'

Should be for any 7th gen Civic; which are 2001-2005 Civics.
Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

roguebetty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Should be for any 7th gen Civic; which are 2001-2005 Civics.
Ah man! I have a 8th gen... Thank you