I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Just replaced aftermarket headunit, unit won't power on, no door chime

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greeni70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just replaced aftermarket headunit, unit won't power on, no door chime

I just switched out the aftermarket head unit in my 2001 Civic Ex Coupe for another aftermarket head unit. Installed everything back together and I'm getting nothing from the new head unit. I also don't get a chime when the keys are in the ignition, or when the headlights are left on. The horn doesn't honk when pressing the lock button on the keyfob as well. There was an amp installed in the back and the back speakers aren't currently wired up, as I removed the amp. I checked the fuse to the headunit and the one under the steering wheel (radio, accessory), both seemed fine. Are the back speakers not being wired up in the back of the car causing a break in the circuit that's resulting in everything not working, or does my problem lie elsewhere?
Old 03-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just replaced aftermarket headunit, unit won't power on, no door chime

Back up fuse in the engine compartment box.
Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely check that tomorrow. Will I possibly be able to just replace it and fix the problem, or will it likely blow again (do I still likely have some sort of wiring issue)?
Old 03-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can't answer that.
It was just a starting point.
If it IS blown, then replace it and see what happens.
If it keeps blowing, then you have a short to ground on that circuit.
Then figure out why

If it is not blown, then keep looking.

HTH
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Just took a look at it and the back up fuse is blown. There is a 7.5a fuse in there right now, but I see on the diagram on the back of the cover, it looks like there should be a 10a fuse. It also looks like there should be a 7.5a fuse for the interior lights, (mine is using a 10a fuse). Is that right, or am I reading the diagram wrong?
Old 03-06-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I think you are correct, backup = 10 dome = 7.5

Box lid has spares, I would put the 10 in backup and put your spare 7.5 in dome.
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Well I switched the fuses, moved the interior lights 10a to the backup fuse spot, and used a spare 7.5a fuse for the interior lights. I also cut and capped the illumination wire from the head unit. I'd had this connected to the orange/white wire on the aftermarket harness (dimmer). So now neither the orange nor orange/white wires are being used on the aftermarket harness or the head unit harness (HU has just an orange illumination wire). This was my first time installing a car stereo so I tried to go by the way it was wired in before (probably not the smartest choice), and he had had the orange illumination wire from the aftermarket harness capped off and not used. Everything is working well now (stereo, warning chimes, alarm, etc.) although the display on the head unit is a bit dim. Can I wire the orange illumination wire from the head unit to the orange illumination wire on the aftermarket harness, or will this cause problems as well? After researching, I found that the illumination wire can cause all sorts of problems, but can it be utilized if wired up properly?
Old 03-07-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ The FACTORY wire colors in your car should be RED/BLK = +12 volts when parking lights are on, and RED which is tied into the dash lights brightness controller.

Look straight across the aftermarket harness illumination lead and see which factory color it ties into.

The RED lead is the one where folks fry their cluster PCB... so I would avoid it if possible.

Not sure what type of dimmer you have ( + or - )
Old 03-07-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! I'll probably just leave it as is. It's working fine now and I think the display on this one is just a little dimmer/smaller than the previous head unit. So I'm just going to leave it be, quit while I'm ahead haha.
Old 03-07-2013

I got lucky with illumination the Pioneer in my 05, and I had a vacuum flourescent clock that dimmed with the lights in the cubby underneath.

But still during the day it got washed out bad in the sun.