I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Does my 2002 Civic EX have an electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HopeForHonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Does my 2002 Civic EX have an electrical problem?

Does Honda make lemons? If so, I think I might have just bought one. The first problem I noticed is it stop recognizing the key and would not start. This happened a few times in one week but has not happened again. Then, both headlights did not work, the running lights, blinkers and high beams work but not the regular headlights. I rarely drive at night so I have no idea how long it has been like this. Now, one of the headlights is working but the other is not. I am not a mechanic and while I am not the smartest crayon in the crayola box, it seems to me that my "new to me" car has an electrical problem. The car has 130,000 miles on it. I don't think this has anything to do with it but the previous owner did have a new transmission installed at 110,000. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Does my 2002 Civic EX have an electrical problem?

Some 02 models are under the missing low beams recall....but your situation sounds different. The recall is for missing both low beams at the same time.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

I called the dealership and Honda and they claim my car is not part of the recall. Both of my headlights were not working and now only one is working. I question if the recall problem would apply. If my car was part of the recall and both lights did not work and now only one works, would it be possible for it to be the recall problem or if it is the recall problem would a light not work and then work? I see online lots of complaints where it appears it is the recall problem yet the owners are told their car is not part of the recall. Sounds like Honda should revisit the issue. Thanks
Old 12-06-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The recall problem would leave both low beams inop, not just one.

You may have a poor connection(s) at the sockets for the bulbs, or the sockets may have once fed higher wattage bulbs from previous owner.

When the problem bulb is out you could try moving the wiring into the socket and the socket itself (dont break the bulb!!) See if the light flickers on and off or starts working while doing so. You may get by with cleaning the terminals and pins.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Wink Re: Does my 2002 Civic EX have an electrical problem?

Originally Posted by CraigW
The recall problem would leave both low beams inop, not just one.

You may have a poor connection(s) at the sockets for the bulbs, or the sockets may have once fed higher wattage bulbs from previous owner.

When the problem bulb is out you could try moving the wiring into the socket and the socket itself (dont break the bulb!!) See if the light flickers on and off or starts working while doing so. You may get by with cleaning the terminals and pins.
Since both lights were out and now only one is back on is it possible that it could be the recall problem? Is it possible that a recall problem could not work and then work without repair? Thanks.
Would anybody like to buy a Honda?
Old 12-06-2011

Recall issue would only effect both sides low beams together.

The separate left and right side low beams wiring come together before the headlight switch and run into the switch as a single wire (the problem wire & pin for the recall)so, any issue recall related would always effect both sides lows.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Thanks, CraigW. I had a feeling that was the case but I just wanted to make sure. I suspect my car might have an electrical problem given the issue with not recognizing the key a few weeks ago and now this. Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

do you have another key you can try? usually the immobilizer system on 01-05 civics is problem free. most of the time either the key chip is damaged from dropping it or water getting in the black part, or you have other stuff on the key chain that can interfere with the signal. or you have loose battery terminals.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
do you have another key you can try? usually the immobilizer system on 01-05 civics is problem free. most of the time either the key chip is damaged from dropping it or water getting in the black part, or you have other stuff on the key chain that can interfere with the signal. or you have loose battery terminals.
The day I bought the car, they only gave me one key but told me they would get me another key and FOB from previous owner but that did not happen. After I spent a week getting stranded several times because I could not get the car started, I had to pull teeth to get them to get me another key. The new key works but I am using the old key only, waiting for the problem to happen again then try the new key. It has been a couple weeks and I have not had the problem getting it started again. I had the key off the key ring so there should have been no interference. Now I have a new problem of no low beam headlights and my dome light does not light up when I open the car door, it only works in the ON position. I am just waiting to see what is next.
Battery terminals have good connection. I might have to go see The HondaMan in Pasadena , Maryland. From all accounts he is quite fabulous, it appears even people from other states travel to Maryland for his service. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-06-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

check the driver door trigger switch to see if its corroded or broken. that black nipple part on the car body next to the metal latch. if you pry up the bottom rubber, there is a screw.
Old 12-07-2011

Yes, check the switch in the door. Will other doors trigger light ? Do you have "key in and drivers door open" warning and headlights left on warning ?

I'm starting wonder if it is not multiplex related, they can cause some strange things to occur.

Do you have a purchase warranty on the car ?
Do they know about all these issues happening ?
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

The car only came with a 30 day warranty and the dealership could care less. It is Honda of Annapolis in Maryland and they do not have a great track record, they lost their BBB rating because of poor service and complaints that they refuse to address. Once they have your money, the car is off the lot and your warranty is over, it appears they are done with you unless you want to take it to them for $ervice.
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

I should have checked before I posted that but yes, the dome light does come on when I open the passenger door. The rubber part on the drivers side is damaged so that explains that. Thanks again for all of your priceless advice.