I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Dash/Instrument panel lights out after new stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaytbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Dash/Instrument panel lights out after new stereo

Earlier today I installed a new stereo in my 2001 civic. Everything worked just fine during the day, then when I went out tonight and turned my headlights on, no instrument panel lights lit up (dash gauges, temp controls). After a few seconds, I heard some pops and snaps, then smelled hot wires. It's too late/dark to check anything out now. Have I just blown a fuse, or did I destroy the whole circuit? Headlights and turn signals all still work fine. New stereo lights up and plays fine, too. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem? I'll pull the illumination/dimmer wires in the morning when it's light, but I have a feeling that won't fix the problem. If I do find blown fuses, can I expect that to fix the problem, or is it likely that it's more serious than that?
Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

RonJ will become famous soon enough
Re: Dash/Instrument panel lights out after new stereo

Well the illumination wire behind the radio burned up due to a short and the short blew the fuse. First repair the shorted wire and then replace the fuse.
Old 05-25-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What you heard and smelled was in fact your electronic dimming control circuit contained inside of your cluster saying goodbye.
Old 05-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

yep.
Old 05-25-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's one expensive head unit
Old 05-25-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

that sucks.
Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

jaytbee is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just disconnected the orange wires and checked my fuses...none blown. So this electronic dimming control circuit, you say it's expensive. Are we talking like hundreds of dollars expensive? And how complicated of a DIY project would replacing it be if I decided to tackle it myself? Is it something that's best left to a trained person? I can get by with no dial and gauge lights at night (everything else works...indicator lights, ac, recirculation, and rear defrost lights...it's just the dials on my dashboard and temperature control lights that don't come on). Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

search around on here. there's threads about it as well as explanations on not connecting the dimming wire.
Old 05-25-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Some have been able to repair the damaged printed circuit trace.

The part is not sold separate only as part of the cluster.