I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2001 LX coupe audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DerekxxCore is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 LX coupe audio

I just bought a 2001 LX, and I think the guy who had it before me either blew the speakers or the audio just isnt that great, and music in my car is important to me.

I'm only working one part time job so what do you guys suggest for an easy modestly priced set of speakers?s
Old 04-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 LX coupe audio

unless you're gonna put components in on an amp, just get some cheap 6.5" coax's from walmart.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

vanser3004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just get original Civic speakers (Pioneer-brand), which-es have low-cost and good quality of sound. You can get them pretty cheap at hondapartsnow:
Rears speakers 6*9 p/n 39120-SV4-A61 (PIONEER) - $8.28 each.
Front speakers 17 cm p/n 39120-S5A-901 - $12.23 each
I like how sounds stock speakers, but only concern how long they lasts, but ORIGINAL replacements speakers (PIONEER) - could be a little bit better that stock ones, but it's still paper-coned.

Last edited by vanser3004; 05-17-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think just about anything is an improvement over stock speakers, even the wal mart kind. They aren't much more expensive either.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

Yea but be careful, they're selling speakers which-es wattage much more higher than original ones and anyway they will sound stupid unless you will change original amplifier with more powerful. And if amp will be non high-end one you will get sound worse than with original speakers. Plus you will spend some money for installation of all this crap. Also when amp too powerful you cant listen the radio without running engine - battery will be dead in 5 minutes. If you want premium sound quality go to professionals with the best or don't do it at all, otherwise you can get same quality of sound with bunch of useless crap inside car. I won't suggest you to buy any aftermarket replacement speakers only if they have same characteristics (wattage) - but here is no guarantee that they'll sound better. My experience - it's not good idea. I think the best solution for you just replace old ones with original (Pioneer-brand) they already have "CIVIC-CONNECTOR" its mean installation of them would be much faster and easier.

Last edited by vanser3004; 05-17-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Umm... no

You can hook up shitty wal mart speakers to your stock head unit and it will still sound better than the crap we have in our cars. What your talking about is an entire overhaul of the stereo system.
Old 05-17-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

eh, if you get speakers that are slightly higher wattage without adding an amp, you'll just be turning the volume **** higher than you did with stock speakers.
Old 05-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ Yea. I remember when I replaced my 100 watt RMS subs with my 250 watt rms. They are way quieter, but I never changed my amp over. The trick is if you change (let's say) the rear speakers to play with the fade to make them sound even again. Otherwise the fronts will be loud and start to distort early in the volume range.
Old 05-17-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Haha.. I changed out my speakers with alpine type-r's up front and infinity reference speakers in the back, mated with my old amp (2x100 for the rears), and my alpine type-r sub with it's 500W rms amp.. couldn't hear the front speakers for **** until I put the fader at 75% forward and the volume had to be put up hella loud.
Old 05-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

That's half the problem. I know people that have a massive system but don't have it tuned for ****, so it sounds like ****. What a waste
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

I tried sony x-plod 6*9 4-way speakers (70watt-each) from Wal-Mart. They have poly-cone, but sound shitty. Only one plUs they will last forever! Probably I just got wrong wattage. We should try Pioneer first with poly-cone with low-wattage, they're probably better. Actually I like Pioneer's quality they sound always good and I trust them more then others brands.

Last edited by vanser3004; 05-17-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I don't think Sony Xplod made 1 good product
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

See, not every speakers from Wal-Mart will sound better stock ones. Still could be worse and if we talking about budget-level speakers (not much choice) I will suggest buy Pioneer as the best of them.
Old 05-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Well, you should still educate yourself to some extent. Just about everyone should know nowadays that Sony Xplod = Garbage.
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

Now I know, when threw out my money. So now I want ask you guys what RMS or wattage have stock speakers?, and how much more powerful speakers we can connect to the stock system if we don't plan install amp? Am asking because I am afraid to get too quiet speakers for stock system. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Do you have an OEM head unit?
Old 05-17-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
I don't think Sony Xplod made 1 good product
I've heard that Sony Xplod's are actually getting better. A guy @ best buy told me that, and I said "hah! wtf are you smoking.. sony car audio sucks ***!"

he replied, "thats what i said too, until I had to hook this **** up.."

I haven't personally tinkered around with it, but I guess its worth taking a gander at now

OEM speakers are about 8W RMS
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Do you have an OEM head unit?
Yea I have Stock Head unit with cassette deck. I wont change it, because I don't like aftermarket units. I like original honda panel orange lightening same as dashboard odometer e.t.c. it's not bothering the eyes an also looks good.
I am using my ipod which is amplifying By " Griffin Tuneflex AUX " and Philips cassette adapter with it. I like how It sounds, It's very loud and bassy, feels like small subwoofer hidden somewhere and it with my old stock speakers (any Japanese car sounds good) which-es went bad (rears) front ones still good. When i took them off their cones were destroyed just of touch a finger (the car manufactured in 2002 so they were only 8 years old). I'd like to replace them with poly-coned with low RMS - pioneer is making good speakers.
This is lowest RMS that I can find from Pioneer speakers. (40 watt both = 20watt-each) TS-G950M

Last edited by vanser3004; 05-17-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Well, I don't know anything about the Griffin but those speakers will run fine off your factory stereo. Just play with the fade until you get it right. But besides putting an amp on the speakers, aftermarket HU is the second best way to improve sound.