I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

battery keeps draining

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy Edwards is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: battery keeps draining

We own a 2010 Honda Civic. The battery would be dead after the car was turned off for more than four hours. This problem was interment which made it hard to trouble shoot. The dealership first replaced the battery which seemed to resolve the symptoms for approx. four months. When the issues started up again we turned to the internet to find the drain on the battery could be caused by the A/C compressor clutch relay being stick to the ON position. When we took the car back to the dealership (for the third time) we explained what we found on the internet. They checked out what we told them and found the A/C compressor clutch relay stuck on causing draw on the battery and the pressure relief value open due to excess discharge. They replaced the relay Assy ($24), recharged the A/C system with Freon ($56) and charged $337 for labor (for a total of $417). The car is now working with the latest parasitic draw test showing abnormal draws, in spec under 50mA, and operating as designed.
Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

luckydiesel is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this same issue on a 2004 civic 1.7l. I tested the alternator output, it was charging at 12 under load. Killed the battery, replaced alternator and battery. Battery drained over night to not start, tested battery for draw, found driver door switch faulty, disconnected switch. Retested battery for draw, draw is in specs at .01 amps. Overnight battery drained again. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Doing this for a mother for free.. The only thing i can think could be the problem is the engine ground, or spark plugs.
Old 08-31-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Put a test light in series with battery lead and start pulling fuses until it goes out to narrow.
Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

Poorside80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having the same problem with my '91 accord, my battery is draining, I bough it new, a big one, size 87 with 1,000 Amps, sometimes ( Not Always) I stop driving it for 2 days, the day after is Dead! Not enough Strong to Pop Out the Alarm Power Locks. I Found What is Draining it, but Not The Reason! 1 day with engine cold and off, I heard the Coolong Fan Start by Itself, I was standing by for 5 minutes, & did not turn off, until I turn switch on and off, I Know Already The Cooling Fan is killing it, but Not Why! Does Anyone Know about a Bad Fan Relay Symptoms? I Really Appreciate if Anyone could help me!!!
Old 08-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraigW
test light
AMMETER, Craig! This ain't the 60's anymore!
Old 08-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poorside80
Im having the same problem with my '91 accord, my battery is draining, I bough it new, a big one, size 87 with 1,000 Amps, sometimes ( Not Always) I stop driving it for 2 days, the day after is Dead! Not enough Strong to Pop Out the Alarm Power Locks. I Found What is Draining it, but Not The Reason! 1 day with engine cold and off, I heard the Coolong Fan Start by Itself, I was standing by for 5 minutes, & did not turn off, until I turn switch on and off, I Know Already The Cooling Fan is killing it, but Not Why! Does Anyone Know about a Bad Fan Relay Symptoms? I Really Appreciate if Anyone could help me!!!
Those had a fan timer that could automatically run the fans after the engine was shut off.

The info I found on the timer says it can allow the fans to run for up to 2 minutes after the key is turned off.