I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DONE With Pioneer

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bigaudiofanatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry DONE With Pioneer

Alright I need to vent and also throw some info out there. I do not mind if you have had no problems with your pioneer or that you swear by them. Here is what I have to say.

Started out installing car audio back in like 1998 installed my first system in a 1996 Honda civic. The head unit was a pioneer 9800 I believe. 3 months after the install was done the cd stopped ejecting. It was under warranty so it was sent in, they found nothing wrong with it. Put it back in 4 weeks later the same thing but we still kept it. It was junk. Second one was in a buddy's VW the face plate was faulty, sent it back the new one the internal amp failed after 2 days of use. I get my very first car I install a pioneer deck. Wining alternator noise threw the speakers like crazy, and it just didn't work right. So I sent it back and got a alpine installed it not one hint of any problems ever. In 2008 I did a double din install for a guy and the unit never worked right and never allowed you to watch videos even with the proper parking brake bypass. So fast forward to 2009. I decide to give pioneer another chance with there premier lineup. So I trade a guy for a Premier Pioneer P880PRS. Worked fine except that wining noise was back. So a guy wanted to trade for a alpine deck I was all for it. So I sent mine to him very well packed and in perfect working condition. He gets it the thing overheats and the cd dose not eject all the way. I just talked to a few installers and the cd problem is very common on all pioneer decks. Pioneer has lost there touch and their quality as well. So I am done with them anyone wants to ask me about them I am going to tell them straight up there junk and I will never own another thing from them for as long as I am installing them in my car. They are junk and my choice is Alpine.
Old 08-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DONE With Pioneer

yeah pioneer is garbage and isnt getting better. i will always be an alpine man. my 9847 is going on 5 yrs of abuse and still has not had a single problem except that it hates philips cd-r and loves tdk lol. but thats okay i give it what it wants and no problems.
Old 08-11-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute

My first pioneer deck (DEH-4600MP) refused to eject CDs the whole way without some help. They would eject just enough that I could see the disc a little. If I push it down a big with my finger it would eject the rest of the way. I copy all my CDs to my computer and use my iPod now anyways, so that's not a big deal.

It got alternator whine when I added an EQ, but that turned out to be the EQ's fault, not the deck.

New pioneer deck (FH-P8000BT) has been just fine thus far.
The Pioneer 760Watt 2-ch amp under my seat has been just fine for the last 4 years, as have the two Premier TS-W1500SPL 10" subs in my trunk, for the last 4 years.

Pioneer moves so much stock, it seems to be a lot of hit and miss (unfortunately). I suppose I'll continue to consider using their stuff until I get something that gives me trouble.

Shame you've had such bad luck with them.
Old 08-11-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Alpine FTW. I never was a big fan of Pioneer.
Old 08-23-2009
Registered!!

hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point

Eclipse FTW! If Alpine, the 9887 is the best they have out currently!!!
Old 08-23-2009
Registered!!

BIG RICH will become famous soon enough

PIONEER ftl
alpine ftl
jvc is terrible
sony is bad
eclipse is garbage

kenwood excelon ftmfw!
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

LOL ya right kenwood is good I will give them that but so is alpine both very solid manufactures.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
LOL ya right kenwood is good I will give them that but so is alpine both very solid manufactures.
not really.....if you live in a generally warm region year around....you may be fine. if you live where it gets cold the alpine cd players will skip terribly until the car warms up. their cd mech rides on gel caps that freeze up....every other companies cd mechs ride on springs.

and i think that alpine radios are ugly and difficult to use.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

I have had 2 alpine and my neighbor has as well went camping in the Poconos in 5 degree weather worked fine. I can safely say also that kenwoods all are not the nicest things to look at as well.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

camping in 5 degree weather? lmao
Old 08-24-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my alpine worked perfectly when it was -10F in illinois winters. cant say the same about the car, it was struggling pretty bad to start and stay running til it warmed up. alpine ugly? its the only brand that actually looks good in a car without all the flashy silver parts and weird arrangements of buttons.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
my alpine worked perfectly when it was -10F in illinois winters. cant say the same about the car, it was struggling pretty bad to start and stay running til it warmed up. alpine ugly? its the only brand that actually looks good in a car without all the flashy silver parts and weird arrangements of buttons.
i have never liked the preset buttons being on a 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 rocker button....but thats just me.

nothing flashy about kenwood excelon....check out the 693 and 993. they have also offered the color change on these again so you can match to the dash lights so the radio doesnt stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

NA I will stick with my alpines they can change colors as well. Not all of them but a few can.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
NA I will stick with my alpines they can change colors as well. Not all of them but a few can.
thats cool.....i mean, we will have to agree to disagree. however, dont think because i am the noob on "this" forum that i dont know my ****....

the biggest seller we have now is nav products....i wouldnt sell alpine nav to my worst enemy. they are overpriced and will get your *** lost.

dont get me wrong....my favorite go-to seller when somone wants a cheap nice sounding sub and amp package is the jl w0s and an alpine 500 amp.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

Oh without a doubt kenwoods nav is awesome with the garmin and all.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

verdesco is an unknown quantity at this point

well my sister has pioneers in her car, i dont think they sound that good but if your looking to replace them i personally would go with alpines
Old 06-24-2010
Registered!!

I agree with you.
Old 06-24-2010
Registered!!

si.hatch is an unknown quantity at this point

i have had 3 pioneer units and i have been very happy with but their new line of unit are all very very ugly.

i think the next unit i get will be a alpine or eclipse, love the look of alpine but recently have been hearing very good things about eclipse
Old 06-24-2010
Remebers the old days

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

I have had the same Kenwood CD player and Amps in my car since 2002. Not one single problem. And they have gone from Germany's -30 to Louisiana's 110. Got to say never seen anyone bitch about Alpine or Kenwood as far as quality and lastability goes.
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

I hear ya on that, i have heard no complaints about kenwood or alpine.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

01civiclx94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alpine is just over rated.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Says who other than you? Pioneer is over rated junk like bose.

Except the stage 4 stuff.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Largen is an unknown quantity at this point

hm, thats crazy O.o had nothing but excelent luck with my Pioneer stuff... Hell my deck works like a champion even in -35c LOL Deh-6000UB (or something like that... )
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Than good, keep using them.