Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > I.C.E. & Electrical
Register Forgot Password?

I.C.E. & Electrical Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2009   #1
Registered!!

Points: 4,856, Level: 44 Points: 4,856, Level: 44 Points: 4,856, Level: 44
Level up: 53%, 94 Points needed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
phil6006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Best Place to ground amp in trunk?

I searched, but I'm having trouble finding a good answer.

I have an Audiobahn 220W RMS amp (bridged at 4Ohm) powering my 8" JBL sub. I had originally connected the ground wire (approx 15" long) to one of the bolt things to hold the trunk carpet liner down. I knew that wasn't a good ground, but it was temporary. The problem with that is that the amp was overheating fairly quickly, and it would go into protect mode to avoid it dying.

Now I relocated the ground to another spot where one of those holding bolts used to be, after wire wheeling some paint off and drilling a new hole, figuring this should fix it.

It helped a little, but I drive around all day for my job, and after about 20 min of driving, the amp gets very hot to the touch, sometimes too hot to leave my hand there for very long. It doesn't get so hot that it goes into protect mode, but it has occasionally over the past few days.

I had this amp installed in my truck, and it gave me no problems up until the point I removed it.

I have the wrong kind of bolt now attaching the ground to the trunk floor pan (its made to go into a threaded hole - the original hole there was destroyed by my stupidity when I first got the car). Tomorrow I am going to find a large sheet metal screw to hold it down super tight, because, although it is fairly tight now, I can still move it around with my hand.

But I want to find a better place to ground so I don't have this problem. I am pretty sure that the problem is the ground, mainly because it helped a little when I switched it.

Can anyone please post a picture of where they have their amp(s) ground to in the trunk? Or at least explain where its grounded?

Thanks,
Phil
phil6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #2
Registered!!

musicalcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to musicalcivic Send a message via Yahoo to musicalcivic
Re: Best Place to ground amp in trunk?

mine is grounded in my trunk on the left side of the car on a holding bolt w/e type of thing, there are 2 in ur trunk on opposite sides, i'll try n take a picture sometime to show you better.
musicalcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #3
Registered!!

Points: 36,750, Level: 100 Points: 36,750, Level: 100 Points: 36,750, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute civicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

just use a stock grounding area. if you pull the panel that houses the hook that the trunk latches onto you should see a grounding point right under it. unbolt it and put your ground there. thats the ground i used for all my set ups and its fine.

civicsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #4
Administrator
Administrator

Points: 300,654, Level: 100 Points: 300,654, Level: 100 Points: 300,654, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 29.6%
Activity: 29.6% Activity: 29.6% Activity: 29.6%
electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute electric130 has a reputation beyond repute

i grounded mine on the ridge between the seats and the trunk. you can see it in the pic below. you can also see how i used hinges (due to the odd angle needed) to secure my sub box so it wasn't sliding around.

Click the image to open in full size.
electric130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #5
Registered!!

very cool. thanks guys.
Old 03-13-2009   #6
Registered!!

OK so I found a good spot and it seemed to have fixed my problem.

I grounded it to the piece of metal that is behind the trunk carpet and in front of the drivers side quarter panel.

After a good round of sanding and wire wheeling, I was able to get a bolt through there and tighten it really well because I could get behind it to use a nut (with washers on each side of course). It about an inch to the back of the hold down nut for the carpet on that side, where you can attach a cargo net or something.

I saw the spot underneath the trim over the trunk latch where all the rear lights are grounded, but that seemed too crowded already, and small.
Old 03-14-2009   #7
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Points: 10,960, Level: 69 Points: 10,960, Level: 69 Points: 10,960, Level: 69
Level up: 28%, 290 Points needed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
jamis33 is just really nice jamis33 is just really nice jamis33 is just really nice jamis33 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to jamis33

that was actually the spot that i was going to reccomend

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/94...-stickers.html

thanks EYGER!!!! You saved my tein flex!!!!
jamis33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003 , amp , ampground , car , civic , good , ground , grounding , honda , place , put , si , trunk , wire , wiring