I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2003 Civic DX instrument cluster questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
howl is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up 2003 Civic DX instrument cluster questions

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to change my instrument panel looks and add the tach at the same time. I might have 2 options:

1. Install a needle for the tach to the old cluster and gauge faces (I don't know if this is possible since the dx dont have the tach to begin with)

2. Swap the cluster the one w/ tach and install the gauge faces (high cost!!!)

Which option can I take?

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough
Re: 2003 Civic DX instrument cluster questions

Just get a 04-05 cluster from ebay for like $30, or u can get the ones in 01-03 with a tach, but wiring is gonna be pain! If u really want a tach without messing with ur cluster then get an external one!
Old 01-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can get clusters off ebay for very cheap, less than $100 for sure. sometimes less than $50. the trick is finding one with similar mileage and features like auto/manual, abs, etc. any 01-02 lx/ex cluster with tach will plug in no problem, but the mileage will convert to whats on the new cluster. you can also use an 03-05 lx/ex cluster but that will require rewiring the connectors. also if you go with the 01-02 style, make sure you get the right color for coupe or sedan. coupe has the red lighting, sedan has green at night. your easiest bet is search ebay for "2001 civic cluster" and see what comes up. you can post pics and i can tell you if it will work or not. the only ones that require rewiring are the newer style LED based clusters with blue or red rings and white numbers. the old style will work as is without rewiring.

Last edited by gearbox; 01-02-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been looking all over for the new cluster but it seems impossible to find one for manual trans that is cheap. I can maybe do sth about the mileage so thats not a problem.

Can I maybe swap it with older civic?
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
you can get clusters off ebay for very cheap, less than $100 for sure. sometimes less than $50. the trick is finding one with similar mileage and features like auto/manual, abs, etc. any 01-02 lx/ex cluster with tach will plug in no problem, but the mileage will convert to whats on the new cluster. you can also use an 03-05 lx/ex cluster but that will require rewiring the connectors. also if you go with the 01-02 style, make sure you get the right color for coupe or sedan. coupe has the red lighting, sedan has green at night. your easiest bet is search ebay for "2001 civic cluster" and see what comes up. you can post pics and i can tell you if it will work or not. the only ones that require rewiring are the newer style LED based clusters with blue or red rings and white numbers. the old style will work as is without rewiring.
Hey gearbox, are you familiar with the rewiring?
Old 01-02-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah ive done it. these are the diagrams, you just match it up to the new one and theres even a diy somewhere on here i used.

this is the new style clutser i have now... in my 02 civic that came with the old style.

and heres how you rearrange the pins on the connectors. click the link below for the diy

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...faq-video.html

Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

You have been a big help, gearbox!

Many thanks!
Old 05-13-2009
Registered!!

Thor is an unknown quantity at this point

GearBox,

You seem to have most of the answers around here so I thought I'd pick your brain. I checked a lot of these DIY's for rewiring the clusters but I just wanted to double check that I have it right before I get started.

I have an 02 Civic DX and am installing what I was told was an 02 Civic LX cluster. Although I believe it's a different one. I have included an image of the new cluster.

Couple of things

1. Is the DIY in the post above the one I would use to perform this task? (I am assuming these came from an 04+)
2. Other than the lights does it matter that this Cluster is from an Automatic and mine is a manual? (Got screwed on a poorly listed Ebay order but hey only cost 30 bucks.)

I truly appreciate your help and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thor

Last edited by Thor; 05-13-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Picture did not display
Old 05-13-2009
Premium Member

yup follow the above diy. the auto indicator lights will not function, but will still light up white. it should work fine in manual. manual clusters are almost impossible to find anyway.
Old 05-13-2009
Registered!!

YodaGuy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn those are hot. Do they start up similar to the ones in the new Lexus IS 250?

Edit:

Nevermind answered my own question with some Youtube vids. Here's what I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPczeCaYfhM

Last edited by YodaGuy5; 05-13-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2009
Premium Member

all they do is turn on lol. but they do stay lit in bright mode during the day all the time and dim down at night.
Old 05-14-2009
Registered!!

I'm going to get started on rewiring my harness this weekend and will take pics of it.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

Well I did it this weekend and came with some mixed but great results.

My gauge works perfectly. Tach, speed,signals,fuel, temp, you name it everything is basically good to go as far as functionality.

The only issue now is I have two lights that are on that weren't on with my old cluster.

1. ABS light
2. Maintenance required light

It said I needed a Green/black wire on the DIY in number 15 for the blue plug which I could not locate and I also had an additional wire that wasn't used, Blue/Red which I see in the old 2003 DIY as being apart of the Green plug but this wire is actually coming from the blue plug. I don't see anywhere on the DIY where to use it now accept for it's mentioned as one of the wires not in the VP so I left it capped.

I have double checked my pins about 20 times and it seems to match everything just right minus the unused wire. Maybe it should be in one of the unknown slots?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Thor
Old 08-15-2009
Registered!!

rdsanti is an unknown quantity at this point

In the diagram, when installing the cluster with LED, which diagram do I have to follow, the 2003 civic EX or 2004 civic VP?
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Now I have just realised that VP and EX do not have the same number of pins total BLUE and GREEN connector together.

What happens to wires unused and missing for the new cluster?

How can it actually work perfectly in that case?
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

yeah ive done it. these are the diagrams, you just match it up to the new one and theres even a diy somewhere on here i used.

this is the new style clutser i have now... in my 02 civic that came with the old style.

and heres how you rearrange the pins on the connectors. click the link below for the diy

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...faq-video.html

Is it or you did a mistake about Green yellow and Blue orange not being in EX?
After analysing it deeper, I found out that 3 pins(Blue Red, Blue Yellow for Green Plug & Black Red for Blue Plug) total are missing for EX and 2 pins unused from VP (White red & Red Black from Blue Plug)
Am I wrong somewhere?

Btw, how do you insert pictures directly into the post, Copy Image/Paste?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagrams.jpg
Views:	16731
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	84156  

Last edited by Thaik; 10-05-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Need to know something
Old 10-06-2012
Premium Member

not sure, i didnt make that. i have the elec manual i can check wire colors for you sometime, but i know the dx does not have abs or side srs so some wire may be left over. there are differences if its canada too.
Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

not sure, i didnt make that. i have the elec manual i can check wire colors for you sometime, but i know the dx does not have abs or side srs so some wire may be left over. there are differences if its canada too.
Yeah, I live in Canada and my Civic is made in Canada.
Are there some major difference? Enough that would invalidate the diagram?
Because it's the only diagram I could find on the forum until now
Old 01-08-2014
Registered!!

mendozad80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm kind of new to this stuff and would really appreciate it if someone out there can guide me in the right direction. i have a 2003 Honda Civic EX sedan and my instrument cluster went bad. i'm looking at replacing it with a cluster off of a 2003 honda civic ex coupe. is this a direct fit? or will i need to rewire. is there any coupe cluster (03, 04, 05) out there that would be a direct fit for my sedan. can someone tell me how to rewire it? or what about a cluster that come off of a canadian 2003 honda civc ex sedan KPH.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2014
Registered!!

ertan is an unknown quantity at this point

i replaced auto 2001 civic ex to 2003 Acura EL (live in Canada). i paid $25.
it would be so complicated if i did not grab Acura`s harnesses with cluster. However, it took over 3 hours to do cable job. my fingers still hurts. first thing i did was match the cables between new and old harnesses. Canada civic has more cables. i put 4 cables form blue connector to green one. 1 cable form green to blue connector. Also, there was two pink

Name:  IMG_56901.jpg
Views: 4911
Size:  65.1 KB
Name:  IMG_56961.jpg
Views: 6439
Size:  66.2 KB
Name:  IMG_56971.jpg
Views: 4219
Size:  63.9 KB
Old 11-17-2014
Registered!!

01civic_driver is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys,i drive an 01 civic ex down here in the United States. for the last couple months i have been having a problem with my gauge cluster. i blew out the dimmer switch on my cluster so now my lights run at a constant low setting and the dimmer switch on the cluster no longer works. i recently followed this diy to switch my pins to an 04-05 civic cluster but it had the completely wrong mileage on it. ( my car has 140,00 new cluster had 240,00) i went ahead and switched back to stock cluster but there were some wires left over. can i get some help with figuring out exactly which wire controls the abs light on the dash and which wire makes the cruise control light turn on?

thanks guys
Old 05-23-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ertan
i replaced auto 2001 civic ex to 2003 Acura EL (live in Canada). i paid $25.
it would be so complicated if i did not grab Acura`s harnesses with cluster. However, it took over 3 hours to do cable job. my fingers still hurts. first thing i did was match the cables between new and old harnesses. Canada civic has more cables. i put 4 cables form blue connector to green one. 1 cable form green to blue connector. Also, there was two pink

So basically, instead of removing the pins out, you simply did T-splices by matching the similar colors from the old to the new harness? So you ended up having two sets of connectors, one for the DX and one for the Acura EL? Meaning you can switch between the old and new cluster whenever you want? That's awesome!
Also, how different is the Acura harness from the diagram above?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

Haider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by howl
You have been a big help, gearbox!

Many thanks!
Hello bro... i have same cluster of honda with blue and red automatic i want to put it in my honda civic 2000
Can you help me for wiring... if you want i have plugs photo... and wiring diagram s as well.... thank for your response
Old 11-05-2015
Registered!!

Tougeking is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, I just bought a 02 honda civic DX. It's an automatic. 'Sad I know'. Anyways I'm knew to the Honda stuff, but I'm liking it. My question is, can I swap my automatic non rpm cluster, to one that has a rpm tach and auto? Those blue gauge ring ones look nice! Thanks! -Matt
Old 11-06-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You have a couple options.

1) Swap the gauge to the 03-05 one, but that requires repinning the connectors.

2) Swap the gauge to an LX or EX automatic transmission one, no repinning required.

Regardless of method you choose, the mileage is stored in the gauge cluster, so you'd have to take measures to avoid odometer fraud. One option is to send it/take it to a speedometer shop to have them change the mileage. I once read that you can just put a sticker indicating your original gauge cluster's mileage and the new gauge cluster's mileage at the time of the swap, but I can't find a source that states that.
Old 05-10-2017
Registered!!

Paisley Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2005 DX/VP MT and desperately need a tach. Must I use an 04/05 cluster plug and play?