I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Back speakers out

Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
razamed7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Back speakers out

Hey guys,
My back stock speakers stop giving out sound, but the stock radio and stock front speakers are still good. The speakers arent blown they just stop putting out sound one day. Ive been tracing the wiring but cant find a loose connection. Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be?I know this seems like a simple question and ive searched the forums but couldnt find the answer.

Thanks,

Johnny
Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

mneuls will become famous soon enoughmneuls will become famous soon enough
Re: Back speakers out

try touching a nine volt battery directly to the rear speaker. if it moves, it should be good still. You might just have it faded to the front. I don't really know, I'm not there.
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

razamed7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha well its not the fade thats for sure, i was wondering if there is a connection in the wiring that could be loose, but ive followed the wiring and cant find one. Ive been look for a electric diagram online but cant find one. Or could it be a connection that would single out the back speakers from the front somewhere along the line?
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

mneuls will become famous soon enoughmneuls will become famous soon enough

try running a wire directly from the deck to the speaker. if there is a break in the wire, you'll have to replace it anyway. maybe you should test the stock radio for output to the rears. it could be your deck. if you have warranty, just take it in.

To test your wiring for a break, disconnect both ends (from the deck and speaker) and tape the leads on the speaker side together so they are connected. use an ohmeter on the other end across the positive and negative. if the wire is good, you should read close to zero ohms.
to test for a short, make sure the speaker side leads are not touching, then test the pos and neg on the deck side. you should have overload or infinite or a very very high number.

also damage to speakers from dc is caused by dc power mixed with ac audio causing the speaker to be pushed one way more than the other. when the speaker gets pushed out too often, the speaker end of the coil doesn't get good enough cooling because it is not touching the metal of the magnet or surround. it will cause the speaker to burn on one end of the coil. it's called dc burn. I guess that you could get the same effect if you left a battery on the speaker for more than a second or so.

also, that is the difference between ac and dc. they have slightly different properties, and ac is much more efficient. but at nine volts, the differents other than the current is pretty much non existant. the only thing you can't use dc for is to turn an ac motor, and likewise with ac turning a dc motor. but the solenoid system that a speaker uses is the same for ac and dc.

Last edited by mneuls; 04-15-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

chkolny will become famous soon enoughchkolny will become famous soon enough

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...-ac-and-dc.htm

the only other difference really stated is that ac current can supply larger amounts of electricity and and also transport electricity through power lines much more effiecently than DC. But since we are talking about a 9 volt battery, the only real difference IS the alternating current

Last edited by electric130; 04-15-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Are the wires hooked up to the speakers?
Do you have a multimeter to be able to test resistance of the speakers?
How do you know the speakers aren't blown?
The speaker wires could be grounded as well.

I'm not gonna touch any of the other stuff going on in this thread.
Old 04-15-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lmao, well for the speakers, i noticed on mine they would cut in and out and it turned out to just be a loose connection where the harness hooks to the speaker. so i cut off the connectors and just wrapped the wire around each prong. had no problems since.
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

chkolny will become famous soon enoughchkolny will become famous soon enough

and yea christmas pie summed everything up very nicely, also check connections to the back of the deck if you havent done so already