I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HID relay harness install question/help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
HID relay harness install question/help

so i have purchased a hid kit from a friend at work and I purchased a relay harness from plasmagarage.com, the ones ebay sells, now for anyone who has this or can answer this question

BTW this is a 02 civic, here is the kit i have

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-F...spagenameZWDVW

now my question is, how the hell does this hook up?

the relay harness has 2 female connections and 1 male connection. then has the power and ground connection to the battery. but the hookup doesnt make since. the picture on the ebay site shows the 2 female connecters going into the ballastbut then where does the male connecter go? and what about the 2 female connecters on the bulb.

if anyone has some insight let me know
Old 12-22-2007
New Mod on the Block

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID relay harness install question/help

im pretty sure the male connector goes to the stock light wire, so when you turn on the headlights, the relay goes on . im on winter break and have nothing to do, so if you want i could go and help you out. i've installed one of DONG's hid kits in my car with a relay harness. but it should be pretty easy to do. it sounds like the two female connectors go to the ballasts and the male goes to the power wire that power the headlights.

Last edited by Rennen; 12-22-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2007
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all

thanks for the help.

well i see the 2 female connecters go into the ballasts, but the male connecter wont connect to the stock light harness as the configuration is different. the 02 civic has the 3 prong female connecter and the relay harenss has a 2 pin male connecter. but the bulb has 2 individual male connecters which plug into the headlight harness. it also the 2 male connections which plug into the ballast and 1 female connecter.
Old 12-22-2007
Registered!!

civicarina will become famous soon enoughcivicarina will become famous soon enough

u sure u didnt mistakenly buy a 9006 kit ? which is for 04 05 civics and the H4 is for 02 civics ?

Sometimes these ebay sellers send the wrong stuff
Old 12-22-2007
Registered!!

i didnt buy it from ebay, i bought it from plasmagarage.com

it doesnt ask you to specify what kind of car you have, i was under the assumption that they are all the same. even the ebay ones dont ask you to specify.
Old 12-22-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

the stock light harness has 3 prongs. one for the ground, one for the regular lights and one for the high beams. since you didnt buy a specific kit, you're probably going to have to cut the harness and get some h4 male connectors and plug it in that way. thats what i had to do for my kit to work.
Old 12-22-2007
Registered!!

now thats no problem for that, but then where does the female connecter go thats on each bulb?

i know that are supposed to connect to the ballast, but the relay harness is connected to the ballast?
Old 12-22-2007
Registered!!

well after doing some searching on the internet, it looks as if they do offer h4 relay harness but finding one looks impossible. the site that i bought from doesnt specify what car or bulb size its for, it just had me order. ebay seems the same way, all the kits look like the connecter is for a 9006, none say that you can order for a specific bulb size, unless i am not looking correctly.

well i am still confused on where the bulb connecters will go, any ideas, i thought maybe one bulb hooked up to it, but what about the other bulb?
Old 12-22-2007
Registered!!

civicarina will become famous soon enoughcivicarina will become famous soon enough

dude ... how will u ever be able to fit the bulb in ur headlight ??? U realise u the HID bulb wont fit in ur headlight ... let alone the fact that there will be humidity leaking in and fogging off ur headlight after every rain.

U need a H4 bulb size hid kit ...
Old 12-22-2007
New Mod on the Block

pics would be a lot of help. im having a hard time understanding what the problem is... the relay harness isnt supposed to plug into the ballasts. the bulbs should plug into the ballasts and the relay harness should plug into the bulb, where you would normally plug the stock wire into it.

Originally Posted by civicarina
dude ... how will u ever be able to fit the bulb in ur headlight ??? U realise u the HID bulb wont fit in ur headlight ... let alone the fact that there will be humidity leaking in and fogging off ur headlight after every rain.

U need a H4 bulb size hid kit ...
im pretty sure he has an h4 hid kit. he just got a generic relay harness that is a pain to get installed right.
Old 12-22-2007
New Mod on the Block

im pretty sure they have it wrong in this pic. F is supposed to plug into the ballast, and D is supposed to connected to G... or at least thats how i have mine wired, and it's been working for about a year now.
Old 12-23-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rennen

im pretty sure they have it wrong in this pic. F is supposed to plug into the ballast, and D is supposed to connected to G... or at least thats how i have mine wired, and it's been working for about a year now.
i don't think that pic applies to everyone. what they're showing on the G and F connectors is what it looks like for bi-xenon kits that i've seen. either way, if this kit is low beam only and your harness looks like the pic they show, then looking at this pic, i'll explain.

red ring terminal to battery. 2 male connectors with orange gaskets to the ballasts. 1 female connector with blue and black wire needs to be cut off. put male spade terminals on the wires or buy a male H4 connector. if you're looking an H4 bulb connector, this is the pin out :

so looking at the car, right is positive common, hook blue wire from cutoff connector here, and the middle is the low beam ground, hook the black wire of the cutoff connector here.

these are the spade terminals i was talking about. you can get them at any auto parts store, walmart, radio shack, etc.

and this is the website that i buy male H4 connectors from for my relay harnesses.

http://www.comagination.com/parts.htm

Last edited by electric130; 12-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2007
Registered!!

ok thats explains everything except the 2 male terminals from the bulb and the black connecters from the bulb which I assume arent going to be used, correct?
Old 12-24-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by streetglower
ok thats explains everything except the 2 male terminals from the bulb and the black connecters from the bulb which I assume arent going to be used, correct?
if they just go straight through the rubber grommet on the bulb, then they're just jumper wires for your high beam bulb. since you won't have a high beam, you can either just not use them, or cut them out. i got rid of that rubber grommet alltogether on my fog light HID's. a close up pic of the bulb and wires would help though. make sure its a clear pic. if it's blurry, don't bother posting
Old 12-30-2007
Registered!!

well i would like to thank everyone for there help. i finally got a h4 relay harness from another company, i didnt fell like cutting the other harness and splicing h4 adapters on, for $40 i got a h4 one. anyway did the install today outside of my condo, took about 4 hours considering i wanted a clean install. it took me awhile to figure out where to mount the ballasts, i first tried in the bottom of the wheel well against the frame but that didnt work. so i ended up mounting the bracket for the ballasts behind the bumper on the bumper support, worked perfectly. drilled 4 holes in the support and mounted then next to the headlight and ran the wiring under the headlights.

as for the relay harness, the stickied the relay to the side of the battery case. the only thing seen is the wiring at the battery.

i will post pics later.

again thanks for the help