I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Illumination/Dimmer for Aftermarket Stereo

Old 08-01-2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
Question Illumination/Dimmer for Aftermarket Stereo

I just got a Kenwood HU for my car yesterday and was wondering if hooking up the Illumination wires will do anything? I read somewhere that the deck wont dim even if you hook it up and try to adjust it to dim with the rest of the lights. Can someone shed some light on this please.
Old 08-01-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Illumination/Dimmer for Aftermarket Stereo

If you hook that wire up to your car's + illumination wire (usually orange or orange/white on an aftermarket harness) the deck will dim when the headlights are turned on. The level of dimming is not adjustable with the dash lights or anything like that.
Old 08-01-2007
Ultra-Platinum Super Bonus Member

So.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really nice

just to let you know, DO NOT make the mistake of attaching the illumination wires with the dimmer wires from the headunit to harness. this WILL short out your dash lights. it happened to me, and i'm just trying to save you a headache.
Old 08-02-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol yea just remove the dimmer wire from the harness so nothing bad happens. you can use the illum wire just to have the deck dim with dash lights. i think its a useless feature, i like mine to be bright at night but maybe some decks would be too bright.
Old 08-06-2007

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough

Ok, Im going to remove those all from the harness
Old 08-06-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

So I've been debunking this myth for a few years now and I don't want to get into a big thing but here's the deal. If you hook the illumination wires up incorrectly it can cause damage or problems to that circuit. Of course, if you hook up any circuit incorrectly it is very likely going to cause damage or blown fuses or whatever.

The correct wire to tap into on the factory harness is the illumination wire, the wire that shows 12V when the parking lights or headlights are turned on (red/black on the factory honda harness). If you hook the orange/white from your aftermarket deck up to that wire the only thing that will happen is the deck will dim when you turn your lights on.

Now, if you hook up the orange/white (aftermarket) to the dimmer wire or negative illumination wire on the factory harness there will be bad things that occur. If you just hook up everything that is orange together (a very common rookie mistake) bad things will happen.

I have installed hundreds of radio with the illumination wire hooked up and have not had a problem (and I'm not shitting you when I say hundreds). In my personal car I only wanted the deck to dim when I had just the headlights on (not parking lights), this is what I did with a relay:
85: (thru diode) to blue/red (-) headlight output in steering column
86: 12V or ignition power
30: 12V or ignition power
87: output to illumination wire on aftermarket deck

If you don't have a multimeter or other tool for testing circuits you may want to stay away however due to the possiblity of causing damage you can't fix. In fact, you probably shouldn't be installing an aftermarket radio at all w/o a meter but that's another story.
Old 08-06-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the only reason its a big deal is that circuit is not fused, so you can potentially fry all your dash light circuitry and replacing the bulbs will not fix things.
Old 08-06-2007
Ultra-Platinum Super Bonus Member

So.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really nice

yeah, that was a stupid mistake that honda overlooked. but eh, more reason to swap to the 03-05 cluster if you fry it
Old 10-03-2009
Registered!!

01CivicEXs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by So.Ill.EM2
just to let you know, DO NOT make the mistake of attaching the illumination wires with the dimmer wires from the headunit to harness. this WILL short out your dash lights. it happened to me, and i'm just trying to save you a headache.
Needless to say it's been over 7 years since I've messed with my Civic's h/u.
Well, like a fool, I went ahead and accidentally used the dimmer wire on the metra harness instead of the illumination, and I seemed to have fried my dash's dimmer controls.
How am I certain? Well, I certainly had some smoke. And luckily, the dash lights do still seem to work, however my dimmer **** no longer brightens the dash. It's stuck at the lowest light setting.

Could I repair this? Would I be wasting my time removing the cluster?
I realize its been more than a couple years since the post, but any suggestion as to what I should do, or perhaps what you did, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmaspie
If you don't have a multimeter or other tool for testing circuits you may want to stay away however due to the possiblity of causing damage you can't fix. In fact, you probably shouldn't be installing an aftermarket radio at all w/o a meter but that's another story.
well said. good info on the +/- though for the illumination. anyone that does a headlight mod knows that we have ground switched headlights while most other cars are + switched. guess this is the same type thing. my POS Pioneer HU is about to die and i want an Alpine double DIN. maybe i'll try the mod for the dimming on that. thanks man!
Old 10-05-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

"Could I repair this? Would I be wasting my time removing the cluster?
I realize its been more than a couple years since the post, but any suggestion as to what I should do, or perhaps what you did, would be greatly appreciated"

Some have reported locating the dimmer section of the cluster and said they found a trace that was open and were able to repair the trace. (you could have a different situation ?)
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

01CivicEXs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Craig.. I'll check that out, and hopefully that's it. I still have all lighting its just real dim. Perhaps the trace behaved as a fuse and that's why the damage ended there.

Much appreciated!
Old 11-07-2009
Registered!!

iDevin is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hooking up a Pioneer DEH-P3100UB using the Metra wiring harness to an 01 Civic GX and I had already made the connection of dimmer on the HU to dimmer on the wiring harness (orange/white to orange/white). Luckily haven't gone and plugged it all into the car yet.

To confirm, I should be hooking the orange/white dimmer wire from the Pioneer HU side to the solid orange illumination/dash light wire on the Metra harness - correct?
Old 01-04-2015
Registered!!

bustahitzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iDevin
I'm hooking up a Pioneer DEH-P3100UB using the Metra wiring harness to an 01 Civic GX and I had already made the connection of dimmer on the HU to dimmer on the wiring harness (orange/white to orange/white). Luckily haven't gone and plugged it all into the car yet.

To confirm, I should be hooking the orange/white dimmer wire from the Pioneer HU side to the solid orange illumination/dash light wire on the Metra harness - correct?

Have you found the problem
Old 01-05-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go ahead and answer your question for you, since iDevin hasn't logged onto the site in over 5 years.

Technically, yes you would. However, in the past, many (if not all) of us have left that wire disconnected while installing aftermarket head units. There have been far too many cases where people fried some dashboard illumination circuits by hooking that wire up. Leave it disconnected and just let your head unit stay fully illuminated regardless of dashboard illumination setting.