I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

~~~DIY Front Door Speaker Install Coupe and Sedan~~~

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aliefjoker has a spectacular aura aboutaliefjoker has a spectacular aura about
Re: ~~~DIY Front Door Speaker Install Coupe and Sedan~~~

I got them off but the inner bolt was a bitch to take off. The whole door minus the screw in the handle is all bolts
Old 01-30-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by aliefjoker
WTF?! On my ex coupe, I had 10mm bolts where theses screws where at. Is that right?

Now remove the two phillips screws:
front...
10 mm bolts?? did you buy your car used?? if so the last owner must have changed that.

I have a coupe, and its a canadian si, which is the same as the U.S. ex. I've taken my door panels off many times. There are no bolts in the door. Just screws in the door. The process should be the same.
Old 01-31-2008
Registered!!

aliefjoker has a spectacular aura aboutaliefjoker has a spectacular aura about

Yep, used vehicle. Passenger side door had screws. I'm thinking the insurance company pulled a fast one and got the damage masked because the carfax came up clean when I ran it
Old 02-10-2008
Registered!!

dj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enoughdj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enough

i'm now actually kindda scared to do the install. Most work i've seen to change a speaker out.
Old 02-10-2008
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about

Great DIY
Old 02-10-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal
i'm now actually kindda scared to do the install. Most work i've seen to change a speaker out.
Don't be scared. Its so easy to take the door panels apart. The first time you do it, it'll take you longer. I've done it so many times, I can take off my door panel it a few minutes.
Old 02-10-2008
Registered!!

amexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of light

yeah i dont know how any times i've taken the door panel off, and the damn thing still rattles. but its pretty easy.

and i dont know if people have seen this, but this really helped me:
http://www.indabay.com/images/FRINSTALL.pdf
Old 02-10-2008
Registered!!

dj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enoughdj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enough

that doesn't seem too bad main thing is all the wiring with electrical that gets me nervous about doing it. Not like the old da integras where the speaker part pops right off
Old 08-04-2008
Registered!!

keepItJDM is an unknown quantity at this point

I find this post EXTREMELY helpful thanks for putting in the time to show us how it's done. I will be installing Alpine's this week and will try to document. Great job and thanks again!
Old 08-04-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

great diy, but i wonder how the mdf will hold up in humid and wet climates....and that wiring job is not gonna last very long either. just speaking from experience and why i had to later open back up and redo everything.
Old 08-04-2008
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all

I dont remember my window coming down that far....I have these huge *** bars in the door that are in the way. Good write up tho
Old 08-04-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

With both sets of speakers Ive had, it came with a plastic .75" spacer that you just had to drill into the door. Polks and Alpines alike. The Alpine harness/bracket piece snapped right in where the stock speaker came out.
Old 08-04-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

can use a 1 inch plastic spacer too if you cant find .75, and then trim the inside of the door panel circle where the speaker goes.
Old 08-05-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearbox
great diy, but i wonder how the mdf will hold up in humid and wet climates....and that wiring job is not gonna last very long either. just speaking from experience and why i had to later open back up and redo everything.
MDF and wiring are holding up just fine after 1.5 years. just had the door panels off a couple weeks ago. i had wires like that on a nissan 200sx for over 3 years without a problem.
Old 08-29-2009
Registered!!

saadd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ
the door panel removal process is different for the coupe, otherwise pretty much the same. Nice DIY, great step by step pics!
Where can i find the door panel removal for a 01' coupe?
Old 12-21-2009
Registered!!

raldz is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm about to replace my front speaker with an aftermarket speaker having 2 1/16 top mount depth.. my question is what speaker bracket/adapter should i get?.. there are some Metra and Scosche speaker brackets out there that some sites say it will fit, some say it will not... Can someone give me an exact part# (Metra or Scosche) for front speaker brackets? My car is a 2004 Civic EX sedan.. Thanks..
Old 12-21-2009
Premium Member

just goto best buy or somewhere local where you can see what it looks like. 0.75 or 1 inch spacer will work, just trim the inside of the door panel. basically the spacer is so that the window glass does not hit the back of the speaker. the spacers are standard for 6.5 inch speakers.
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

anthonygpace is an unknown quantity at this point

Thaaank You for this
Old 06-10-2010
Registered!!

nmastereal is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an 03 civic sedan lx and for the life of me i cannot get the door opener rod back in correct spot inside the door. its connected to the interior handle still but it isnt doing anything when i pull the handle. any help + pics will help alot
Old 11-13-2010
Registered!!

drew65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im going to do this tomorrow and i have a few questions: so does the door pannel still fit over the speaker with that spacer there? Can you use any material as a spacer?
Old 11-18-2010
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

I used MDF as a spacer material.
Old 11-18-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I used the metra spacer, and broke off some of the plastic paneling that surrounded stock speaker in the plastic panel
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Kennykid2002,

I did this around year 2007 and since I bought speakers from Crutchfield, I think the adapter is made by metra. I ended up cutting the plastic around the speakers area out. Otherwise, I can't put the panel back. : )

I will do the rear soon.
Old 12-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I did as well
Old 01-28-2011
Registered!!

What_It_Do will become famous soon enough

How much clearance from speaker to plastic door panel grille do you have remaining?

Looks like with .75" MDF and 3" from bottom magnet to top coaxial tweeter with your setup. Therefore anything less than that total height from metal door frame is OK.
Old 02-22-2011
noob

co95317 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to electric130 for this DIY! I would never have attempted this before reading this. Everything went very smooth and only took me about 30 min to complete each side.

The home made wiring harness idea is genius. I used it and it works great.

I used the old "paper driver" plastic insert to mount the Kenwoods I installed. I just used a Dremmel an cut out the middle plastic (except for the clip part) and screwed the speaker on to it. The holes on the speakers lined up perfectly for this.

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Glad it was helpful.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

deezie is an unknown quantity at this point

did any1 install kappa perfects? i assume 1" space and a little metal and door panel trimming.