I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Wiring help.

Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really nice
Wiring help.

Hi guys. I need your help but please dont laugh at me. I've bought these door sills for my 01 civic (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT) and they're supposed to light up when I open the door. I need help with the wiring. The instructions say that one of the wires go to door switch (+) and the other one to the battery power 12V (-). The problem is simply that I dont know how to do this, where the points are and how to connect the wires. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-08-2005
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Can't see what it is you bid on, but here's a guess ...

You'll need either a 12v constant or 12v switched (+) source. As for the ground (-), just find a place with bare metal and screw it down. You should be good to go then.
Old 03-08-2005
Vic's almost done... thats sorta depressing...

Octane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud of
the link doesnt work... if you could get that working I may be able to help...
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

MBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really nice
Yes. Sorry guys. This link should work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7955084941
Thanks for letting me know about it.
Old 03-08-2005
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
when you open the door you should see a rubber nipple, take the rubber off, unscrew the screw and connect the wiring from there on... i never actually connected anything on the door switch... but i've seen the wiring... i thought it might work...
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pnoyster2k1cvic
when you open the door you should see a rubber nipple, take the rubber off, unscrew the screw and connect the wiring from there on... i never actually connected anything on the door switch... but i've seen the wiring... i thought it might work...
Thanks. I'll do that. What about the Battery Power 12V - thats where the second wire should go (-).
Old 03-08-2005
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
blk and yellow wire next to the key assembly...
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

Question

Originally Posted by pnoyster2k1cvic
blk and yellow wire next to the key assembly...
Is it by the fuse box underneath the steering wheel? So after I find it I have to cut the isolation and connect the wire from the sill to it?
Old 03-08-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
- goes to ground which can be any bare metal
Old 03-08-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
dear god. LOL, if you don't know, don't post.

door switch in any honda is - (negative) so wire the door sill to your negative doorpin wire, in 7thgen's they are individual, doing it this way will make only the respective sill to light up with its respective door. Or you can get it in the front driver side A pillar going up to the dome light and have them turn on when any door is opened. Then give the + (positive) a 12v FUSED constant to the thick SOLID WHITE wire going to your fuse box from the ignition cylinder.

I used a relay in my application to do this for me, but for EL lighting it should be fine the way it is.

Last edited by SkipBarber; 03-08-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SkipBarber
dear god. LOL, if you don't know, don't post.

door switch in any honda is - (negative) so wire the door sill to your negative doorpin wire, in 7thgen's they are individual, doing it this way will make only the respective sill to light up with its respective door. Or you can get it in the front driver side A pillar going up to the dome light and have them turn on when any door is opened. Then give the + (positive) a 12v FUSED constant to the thick SOLID WHITE wire going to your fuse box from the ignition cylinder.

I used a relay in my application to do this for me, but for EL lighting it should be fine the way it is.
Thanks Skip. So I just connect the two wires together (positive to the white wire) and that should do the work, right? I gotta admit, I'm a newb when it comes to car electricity, so please be understanding. Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2005

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
yes, and please fuse it, place a fuse between the door sill and the white wire. If for some reason the door sill were to ground out (short) youd blow an ignition fuse (one of those big sqaure ones under the hood).
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

I forgot to mention that each of the front door sills has an inverter, if that helps. Does it work like a fuse?
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

It seems like theres a lot more work with it than I expected, because the wires seem to be not long enough. I've unscrew the big black "nipple" that holds the door switch and all I know that its a green wire.
Old 03-09-2005

an inverter does not work like a fuse. that green wire is your negative source, the remaining two wires will have to be extended and connected to the wire explained in my earlier post.
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

I've heard that I could use some kind of red clips or taps to help to connect the wires together. Have you heard anything about that?
Old 03-09-2005
blah™

Excal is an unknown quantity at this point
a tap is This
Old 03-09-2005
Registered!!

Thanks guys.