I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Head unit install

Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kofrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Head unit install

To update my situation, the piece I am missing is the head unit wiring harness. That piece was discontinued by the manufacturer so I will be heading out to local shops later on today to see if I can find a generic harness that will fit my new HU.

If I get a generic harness, will I need to re-wire it?
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

kofrad is an unknown quantity at this point

And the final update. I did get my hands on the HU wiring harness, did my wiring and successfully mounted the new HU in my civic.

Once again great DIY, really got me on the right track!
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

notmine is an unknown quantity at this point

just did my install last night. new head unit being a kenwood kdc-hd545u.
everything went fine but am left with a minor issue.
I noticed that not all the center console HVAC lights are coming on properly.
By on, i mean illuminating like they normally do when the headlights are turned out.
The top left **** (vent output selector) works perfectly and illuminates entirely.
The middle left (temp control) only illuminates in the top half.
The other **** and buttons (fan speed, vent closed/open, AC and defroster) don't illuminate at all.
The button lights(not illumination but the actual small lights) work when clicked on.
the install was done using the crutchfield supplied wiring harness going to the stock harness.
Don't know what I could have missed or done wrong for this to happen.
Any ideas?
oh, and car is a 2005 civic ex sedan if it matters.
Old 12-10-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ check your connectors to make sure they were put back properly and order some replacement neo-wedge bulbs. I replaced all of mine at once on my 05.
Old 12-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notmine
just did my install last night. new head unit being a kenwood kdc-hd545u.
everything went fine but am left with a minor issue.
I noticed that not all the center console HVAC lights are coming on properly.
By on, i mean illuminating like they normally do when the headlights are turned out.
The top left **** (vent output selector) works perfectly and illuminates entirely.
The middle left (temp control) only illuminates in the top half.
The other **** and buttons (fan speed, vent closed/open, AC and defroster) don't illuminate at all.
The button lights(not illumination but the actual small lights) work when clicked on.
the install was done using the crutchfield supplied wiring harness going to the stock harness.
Don't know what I could have missed or done wrong for this to happen.
Any ideas?
oh, and car is a 2005 civic ex sedan if it matters.
did you connect the "illumination wire? I hope not.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

DewHead is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I want to get this straight, do you leave the illumination wire or the dimmer wire unconnected? Or not connect either?
Orange = illumination
Orange/white = dimmer.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-2011
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

be safe....neither.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

DewHead is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks, what a strange problem for the wiring to have. Glad I perused here before getting to it that would have been an unnecessary pain.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Alumnite is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are the pictures for this tutorial? Does anyone have the pictures or a video on this tutorial? Please let me know ASAP!
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

I found these vids on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJBDj...feature=fvwrel

But there are 2 more parts, this tutorial is for an automatic trans.

Goodluck with his accent
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

tkrotchko will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DewHead
Ok I want to get this straight, do you leave the illumination wire or the dimmer wire unconnected? Or not connect either?
Orange = illumination
Orange/white = dimmer.

Thanks guys.

I don't think you have that quite right. On a '98 accord, Orange = dash lights plus dimmer, Orange/white is 1.5 constant voltage when lights are turned on.

Most DVD/Nav units are going to require Orange/white. If you're not sure, get a volt meter and check it.

I would also look on the harness of your head unit, since Orange & Orange/White seem to be a universal color code for all audio installations.
Old 04-09-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by tkrotchko
I don't think you have that quite right. On a '98 accord, Orange = dash lights plus dimmer, Orange/white is 1.5 constant voltage when lights are turned on.
this isn't an accord forum, it's a 7th gen civic forum. they're different. if you connect the illumination wire on aftermarket HU's to a 7th gen civic, it fries part of your dash lighting.
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
I found these vids on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJBDj...feature=fvwrel

But there are 2 more parts, this tutorial is for an automatic trans.

Goodluck with his accent
My favorite is that he's not wearing any shoes.
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
this isn't an accord forum, it's a 7th gen civic forum. they're different. if you connect the illumination wire on aftermarket HU's to a 7th gen civic, it fries part of your dash lighting.
Again, I would get the volt-meter and test the voltages, it will take 5 minutes. If you get a steady 1.5v on the orange/white, it is used by head units to dim the lighting in the controls when you turn on the lights, which is a quite valuable safety and convenience feature.

If you don't get 1.5v, then you know its not correct.
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
You're pretty knowledgeable, so I've got a question on installing a double-din unit in a 7th gen civic.

Do you have any experience with the after-market trim kits, and which one will give me the most stock look when installed?

Also, in this year of car, do you use the DIN sleeve to hang it from the dash? Is the Honda Scosche mounting kit preferred? (I'm asking because I've found in most cases, the only use of these kits is the trim ring to finish that job)

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-09-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by tkrotchko
You're pretty knowledgeable, so I've got a question on installing a double-din unit in a 7th gen civic.

Do you have any experience with the after-market trim kits, and which one will give me the most stock look when installed?

Also, in this year of car, do you use the DIN sleeve to hang it from the dash? Is the Honda Scosche mounting kit preferred? (I'm asking because I've found in most cases, the only use of these kits is the trim ring to finish that job)

Thanks for any advice.
most kits will be a basic black textured plastic. they won't match your dash perfectly. if you want that, i'd say do some bondo/fiber glass work on the trim and paint it to match your dash. I don't know off hand with a double DIN, but the single DIN i put in, i had to use the metal sleeve that you bend the tabs up into the mounting bracket. tough to get a jiggle-free install. I think most on here get the Metra double din, not the Scosche. hope that helps
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

uliraf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys. i am looking for A/C power unit electrical diagram. the old one was robbed and the new one came with a different harness and i don't know how plugging the cables or the color in each pin. i will appreciate your help.
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

BiggSean is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to install a double din JVC radio into my 05 Special Edition Coupe next weekend.

My Special Edition came with the factory double din radio. Due to the fact that my original radio was double din, do I simply reuse the mounting brackets from the factory radio? Do I need anything aside from a wire harness to do the install?

Thanks in advance. I need to order my install parts this weekend so I can get them in time.
Old 04-18-2011
Administrator
Administrator

You will likely still need a mounting kit
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

BiggSean is an unknown quantity at this point

According to this, this metra double din install kit applies to all Civics, except the Special Edition, which leads me to believe that I probably don't need a mounting kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7899-.../dp/B001JT12OO

Can anybody with a Special Edition confirm?
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

I just installed a double-DIN nav system (Pioneer AVIC-X930BT) in a 2003 civic sedan. A couple notes:

1) I used a double-DIN mounting kit I purchased on ebay, from American International (www.aius.net). It looks decent, has a good color match, and fits the hole well. But the DIN opening is slightly over-sized and I had to put black material to hide the gaps. This particular bezel does not show up on their web site, however.

2) For Dash illumination, The standard orange/white wire does not put out enough voltage (less than 1/10th of a volt) to kick in the night model on the AVIC, however, I tried the orange wire and this worked quite well (note that when I say orange or orange/white, I'm not referring to the Honda wire color codes, rather the standard A/V codes that seem to be nearly universal these days). The Pioneer makes the sky turn dark and puts stars in the sky at night.

3) Thanks to folks help, tying into the VSS from the ECM was a piece of cake. 05Reverb turned a long-drawn out procedure into 5 minutes of work.

The Pioneer is nice, although it will not let you do much "stuff" when the car is moving. I am not pleased with this aspect of it.

Last edited by tkrotchko; 04-19-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im sure there is a bypass for that unless the unit has some sort of new movement technology i dont know about. usually its a simple matter of finding the right wire and grounding it. people with dvd players do this all the time.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
im sure there is a bypass for that unless the unit has some sort of new movement technology i dont know about. usually its a simple matter of finding the right wire and grounding it. people with dvd players do this all the time.
I found the bypass, and tested it out. It added one quirk; the speedometer stopped working, so I pulled the VSS wire off the harness. I can live without that. It also popped a code simultaneously, a P1457, which usually means the gas cap is loose.

I reset the code and hopefully, all will be well.

If people are interested in the bypass, just look up AVIC-X930BT Bypass on Youtube. Almost all of the guys (with the exception of the older gentlemen) are goofballs that take 5 minutes to tell you 30 seconds worth of material .

Last edited by tkrotchko; 04-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

DannyM91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help here. Just bought an 05 civic sport at the weekend and looking for a bit of help putting the new head unit in and wiring up my sub and amp.

Not bought the Head Unit yet, so any recommendations would be great, cheers.