I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AequitasVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point
i mounted my radio to the factory brackets and then put the radios trim ring on it and it looks pretty sweet. no kit needed
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Re: DIY: Head unit install

This is in reply to the user who broke his trim plate...

The reason you broke this is due to the fact that on certain models that dont have an armrest you have to remove the center console first. As you learned, there are 6 screws that need to be removed after you remove the center console.
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

Diego is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice tutorial. However I'm wondering if anyone has tips on removing that center panel around the shifter in a manual? Basically step 2 for a 5speed.

Mine just won't budge, I pull and pull but it seems like any more force and it's going to snap in half. After seeing the unit with a snapped plate I'm doing my best to avoid such results. Just for reference mine does have an armrest.

Any advice?
Old 05-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the whole console has to come off. you cant just take the trim off, its not possible wiithout breaking it.
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

Diego is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps I have the terminology mixed up.

This is what I'm referring to:

It doesn't seem like I can just pull this out without breaking it.
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Unclip the shift boot by pulling it down (grab the silver ring right below the shift **** and pull down). Untwist the shift **** (twist it counter clockwise until it comes off). Lift up entire trim panel and shift boot.
Old 05-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i guess its different for an auto. mine goes on from the bottom and cant pull up from top without taking the console out. circuit city actually broke mine when trying to pull it when i first got the car.
Old 05-06-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

manual and auto is diff...not to mention center consols for 01/02 are different than 03-05. kinda gay huh....
Old 05-10-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
manual and auto is diff...not to mention center consols for 01/02 are different than 03-05. kinda gay huh....
2001 - 2003 and 2004 - 2005
Old 11-07-2008
Registered!!

carlitoi930 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
As this was long overdue, I decided to make a head unit install DIY for the 03-04 Civic. This may apply to other years as well, but AFAIK, it is only for the 03-04. This DIY was created using an 04 LX coupe.

NOTE: The first 3 pictures are for an install on an auto, the following 4 will be for an install on a 5 speed. After the first 3 steps for each, there are no differences.

1) Stick your hand under the trim ring and pull

2) The ring comes off easily

3) Stick your finger in the location shown and pull up HARD. It can be very stiff but it does come out. There is a hole there to stick your finger in and make it easier.

4) The console piece does come off but it can be a pain in the *** sometimes. If it seems stuck in one part, look very closely to where the clip is (the console piece will be cut out a little just above it), stick a very small screwdriver and try to push the clip out. It will come out eventually so be persistent.

NOTE: The following 3 steps are for an install on a 5 speed. Following these steps, starting at number one again are instructions that apply to both manual and auto.

1) This is what the 5 speed center console looks like

2) Pull up on the shifter console area like how I am in the picture. You want to pull from inside the shiftboot area. You may want to pull with both hands. One hand on the left side, and one on the right side. Its easier if you do it with both. The only reason I have one hand in the pic, is the simple fact I used the other to take the pic. After you pull the left and right sides up, the front and back should just come off. There is nothing but clips holding this area down.

3) You should be able to turn the area around the shifter sideways. Once this is done, you can follow the steps from the DIY for the auto, its exactly the same. As you can see in the pic, its not necessary to take off the shift ****.

NOTE: The remaining steps apply to both manual and automatic vehicles

1) Use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the 2 screws located near the cup holders on either side of the console

2) Stick your hand under the "horseshoe shaped piece" as shown and pull it out. It is simply held in by clips, 2 on each side. Pull the sides out first and then pull the entire piece out by pulling up and back. Unplug the cigarette lighter and set this piece aside.

3) This is what your dash should now look like, and you can start taking the head unit out.

4) Remove these 2 screws to allow you to take the panel containing your HVAC controls, hazard light and head unit to come out. You can use either a very short phillips head screwdriver or an 8mm socket and ratchet. I highly recommend the ratchet. One screw is in the center and one is towards the right, but they are up underneath the dash and you may have to get under there at a wierd angle to see them, but they are very easy to get out using a ratchet.

5) Stick your hand behind the metal bar that you just took the screws out of and push it kind of up and forward. The top of this bar is part of the panel containing the head unit and the bottom half is part of the car. Push on the bar so that the head unit pops out. It may be stiff if it hasn't been removed before but it does come out.

That's all there is to it, and reassembly is the exact opposite of disassembly.

If you get stuck, please feel free to post any questions in this thread.

hey im stuck at the last part i push on the metal thing and i see my radio move a little but it wont come out what do i do?

Last edited by electric130; 11-10-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

/\/\ push harder... at least with my car, it was really in there...

ALSO, double check to make sure you took out the two screws up under there! :P
Old 11-07-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

There's 2 metal bars.
a) One that stays in the dash and is what your radio holder is bolted to.
b) One that you're actually removing from the dash as part of the radio holder.

You need to get your hand up behind the dash bar and pull towards you on the other bar....you'll feel one move independently of the other. Then when you got it towards you a bit, you won't be able to keep pulling it out because the dash back is in the way. Take your hands out and grab a hold of the dash piece around the actual headunit and HVAC controls, it'll come right out.
Old 11-09-2008
Registered!!

ampong has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Great thread. Thanks for this DIY mate.
Old 01-12-2009
Registered!!

kmwdfuc is an unknown quantity at this point

First, great post, thanks for the help.

Second, I stupidly dropped one of the screws, and it fell in the gap in front of that little metal catch tray/shelf underneath where the screws are mounted (probably for people like me, except I missed it). Is there any way of retrieving it that you know of? If not, will it be okay if I just leave it down there?

Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

I dropped a clip somewhere too, I dont see why its not ok to leave it.
Old 01-13-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by Diego
Nice tutorial. However I'm wondering if anyone has tips on removing that center panel around the shifter in a manual? Basically step 2 for a 5speed.

Mine just won't budge, I pull and pull but it seems like any more force and it's going to snap in half. After seeing the unit with a snapped plate I'm doing my best to avoid such results. Just for reference mine does have an armrest.

Any advice?
Page 6.
Old 04-16-2009
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

Let me bump this a little. I don't get why you all are taking out the thing around the shifter. I looked at mine today and the thing where the cigarette lighter was just popped out with no problems and I had access to the two bolts on the bottom. What am I missing?
Old 04-19-2009
Registered!!

keithisg is an unknown quantity at this point

hey thanks for the tut couldnt have gotton as far as i did without it

but i have some questions i think i might have messed up the stock wiring harness (the blue connector that plugs into the stock radio or the wiring converter for aftermarket head unit)

When i was putting my new head unit in i hooked up all the wiring stuff and i turned the car on and it worked fine, then i put the whole thing back into the dash and went to turn the car on again and the fuse blew, so i replaced the fuse with a brand new one. Now the new head unit still doesn't work, the only thing i can think of is that blue connector piece.

Is there anyway around that blue connecter like pulling the wires out some how and splicing them straight to the wire converter for the new head unit? or order a new connector?

btw my car is a 04 Lx 4 door if that helps
Old 04-19-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Are you using a Metra or similar wiring adaptor ?? (you should be)

You may have pinched a wire or have an exposed connection. that is grounding

Pull it back out and re- check your work.
Old 04-19-2009
Registered!!

well i know the wiring adapter is'nt the problem, because even when i put the stock head unit back in it doesnt work. but at first i thought it might have been so i made sure that they were touching and had electrical tape on them.
Old 04-20-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You may have blown a fuse for the car.
Old 04-20-2009
Registered!!

well ive check and rechecked the fuses multiple times. If its not the ACC radio fuse then what other fuse could it be? ive checked other but not all of them.
Old 04-20-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by keithisg
well i know the wiring adapter is'nt the problem, because even when i put the stock head unit back in it doesnt work. but at first i thought it might have been so i made sure that they were touching and had electrical tape on them.
but at first i thought it might have been so i made sure that they were touching and had electrical tape on them.
and had electrical tape on them.
electrical tape
I found your problem. Never use electric tape to join wires, always solder and heat shrink.
Old 04-20-2009
Registered!!

for pics of what i did check the thread i posted, but they are joined using connecters. not electrical tape
Old 04-20-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

If its not the ACC radio fuse then what other fuse could it be?
"back up" fuse
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mdawg
Let me bump this a little. I don't get why you all are taking out the thing around the shifter. I looked at mine today and the thing where the cigarette lighter was just popped out with no problems and I had access to the two bolts on the bottom. What am I missing?
01 is a little different from the others. If you look into radio disassembly on an 04 you'll see the steps are quite a bit more involved than your 01.
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

Yeah I took it apart yesterday, it was a piece of cake. Pull the cigarette lighter panel out and unscrew two bolts and the whole dash popped off.
Old 04-23-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Not sure how much exposure this will get, but:
For anyone doing this on an Acura EL, I spent over an hour trying to get the shifter assembly off. It does not pull up, the entire center console comes out instead.

/warning
Old 04-23-2009
Registered!!

civex03 is an unknown quantity at this point

The orange wire from teh headunit for illummination, where does it hook to for the ilummination to work?
Old 04-23-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by civex03
The orange wire from teh headunit for illummination, where does it hook to for the ilummination to work?
Sometimes not all the wires match up. If you don't have an illumination wire in your harness or on your radio, then just leave it. Make sure it's covered so it doesn't ground out unexpectedly but it doesn't need to be hooked up.

Quick Reply: DIY: Head unit install