I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
God damn, you got to pull hard on that thing. I put on a glove and started pulling as hard as I could until I heard splitting, then I pulled some more and the bottom right corner popped out a little. I took off the gloves and worked my fingertips all the way around starting from the bottom right piece and got it all the way out. Don't think I broke any clips either. I'll post pictures so people have a better idea how to do this part.
Old 12-04-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Best Kits can suck my ***, what made them think that crappy install kit would fit? It wasn't even close.
Old 12-06-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

My advice.....WEAR GLOVES! I thought to myself, "They're just idiots. If I'm careful I'll be alright. They're my hands, I just won't put them on anything sharp." Well I was wrong....it was cold, I didn't have a lot of feeling in my hands, and the more pissed off I got, the more I grabbed hold of the closest sharpest objects available. Don't wear gloves and you'll end up with this ****.

Last edited by DeX; 12-06-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Anyway, this is what you covet.

When you're removing the bolts holding in the headunit, you'll be taking them out of a metal bar and there'll be another metal bar up behind it that the bolt goes through to. Put on a glove, get your fingers all the way up behind these bars and pull on the one above the one the bolts came out of. Pull really hard, it'll start to sound like splitting wood if it's never come out before, and then one of the corners should pop out. From there, work your fingers in behind it and get the rest out. I don't think I lost a clip. Just be sure to read the manual so you're not left with this when you're done. Where do these go?

Old 12-06-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Another important point I learned the hard way. Make sure you take out the CD before you disconnect the stereo.
Old 12-06-2005
Registered!!

xxsleepyxx is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL I JUST DID THIS YESTERDAY... and i didn't wear anything in the beginning. got almost the same cuts as u lol
Old 12-07-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by xxsleepyxx
LOL I JUST DID THIS YESTERDAY... and i didn't wear anything in the beginning. got almost the same cuts as u lol
Naked audio install. That's brave! Was this in public?
Old 12-07-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
dont push on the metal part!
i just took mines apart this morning.
use a flat head screw driver and carefully work around the edges of the console until you hear a popping sound from the clips.
Old 12-07-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
If you want to wreck your console then do that, but if not then push on the metal bar.
Old 12-07-2005
Registered!!

xxsleepyxx is an unknown quantity at this point
wouldn't you have to take the screws off from the bottom? those 2
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

Zeke is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 iPod install

I got an iPod adapter for my wife's 2005 Honda Civic EX sedan. Unfortunately, mp3mycar.com does not supply instructions for installation beyond how to set the dip switches on the adapter, even though they are about $60 more expensive than Crutchfield. Anyway, I need a guide on how to get to the back of the radio to plug the adapter into the CD changer port. I'd like to do that without destroying anything. Is this procedure above pretty much what I need to do? Or would I need to do more/something else entirely? Is it possible there is an unused connection in the trunk for a trunk mounted CD changer?
Old 01-11-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

You could probably get at it by sticking your hand up behind there, but you'd be better off just removing the deck and looking at what you're doing. Yes, you just follow the instructions on the first page and also the ones I posted on this page.
Old 01-20-2006
Pretty friggin old-school member

silver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of light
I know this is a bit old, but I am going to post in hope that someone does not make the same mistake I did. This DIY was for 01 MT. I have an 02. the shift boot asembly does NOT just pop off. It was held in by six screws underneath. Assuming I "wasnt pulling hard enough" I droke the damn thing right in half. (I'll post pics if needed). I also did not know the shift **** just clicks into the boot (yes im stupid) But now I have learned these things.

Oh and If you are reading this after you broke yours also feel free to goto
http://www.worldparts.com/bellhonda/ and pick up a new one. It was like 24 bucks shipped. That was the plate, the ring, and the boot all together.
Old 01-22-2006

silver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of light
I went ahead and took a couple pictures.

This is where it broke.

In this pic, you can see where there were screw pegs, and I broke them off on the middle and top (not shown) you can still see the bottom pegs

Now I have and extra boot and ring

Old 01-22-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Holy crap. I think you have the only Civic where they were screwed in. Did you buy it used?
Old 01-23-2006

yea i did
Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

holokaustos is an unknown quantity at this point
Just curious: why aren't the pictures from the initial post showing up? A week ago, I came to this thread and the actual pictures were there. Now, all I have are links to the pix. No big deal, really. I'll just print the pix separately before going out to the car. Just thought I'd ask.
Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

Just did the take out of the stock HU, in anticipation of a double-DIN unit. I followed Mega's instructions and it all went smoothly.

Only trouble I had was getting the damn HU out of the dash, though. Had to use a flathead screwdriver to SLOOOOOWLY go around the trim of the console, gently prying it up enough to make the clips disengage, allowing me to pull on it from the air vents and the bottom. There was no damage done to the hard, plastic frame or to the soft dash itself, either, thank God.

I was sweating it the whole time, too. Kept on having Mega's words running through my head: "If you want to wreck your console then do that...If you want to wreck your console then do that...If you want to wreck your console then do that..."

Nice walk-through, Mega. Following it was easier than I anticipated. I appreciate it...
Old 02-12-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by holokaustos
Just did the take out of the stock HU, in anticipation of a double-DIN unit. I followed Mega's instructions and it all went smoothly.

Only trouble I had was getting the damn HU out of the dash, though. Had to use a flathead screwdriver to SLOOOOOWLY go around the trim of the console, gently prying it up enough to make the clips disengage, allowing me to pull on it from the air vents and the bottom. There was no damage done to the hard, plastic frame or to the soft dash itself, either, thank God.

I was sweating it the whole time, too. Kept on having Mega's words running through my head: "If you want to wreck your console then do that...If you want to wreck your console then do that...If you want to wreck your console then do that..."

Nice walk-through, Mega. Following it was easier than I anticipated. I appreciate it...
I just pulled on the lower DIN pocket. Much easier.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
I just pulled on the lower DIN pocket. Much easier.
Couldn't get enough of a solid grip on it. Separating the top trim and the bottom trim allowed me to get a good enough hold to wiggle it out. Even then, the clips on the left side still gave me some trouble...
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

SloCol-Vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
bookmarked
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

j_rola is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome,i looked and looked ,and finally i found this!THANK YOU!
Old 07-11-2006
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
Pictures are dead man
Old 07-12-2006
Registered!!

bust_on_fools is an unknown quantity at this point
pics? dont work? whatsup?

Last edited by bust_on_fools; 07-12-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough
thank God i saved those pics b4 they decided to not work lol
Old 07-21-2006
Registered!!

bust_on_fools is an unknown quantity at this point
can i get those pics? I tried emailing megahurtz but he hasn't responded yet and I really want to replace my factory unit. I have nothing but mp3 cds and the factory unit doesn't like em. I have some generic instructions from the mounting kit, but I would rather see a picture than go by generic instructions. Mr Plenty, if you can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I've removed my headunit about 100 times, I can answer any questions via PM.

Basically, here's what happens.
1. pull up on the shifter shroud.
2. The piece with the cigarette lighter in it extends down the side of the center console. Unhook these extensions and pull up on them, it'll pull the piece with the cigarette lighter out. Unhook the cigarette lighter and remove piece.
3. Remove 2 bolts that point upwards, the heads of them will be facing the floor. They're easy to spot, they go into the bar under the headunit.
4. Reach up behind this bar, this is what the bolts go through to hold the headunit in. Pull on this bar towards you, you'll hear a noise like splitting wood.
5. Pull on it enough and the headunit piece will separate from the dash.
6. It should be separated enough to grab it and pull it right out of the dash. Don't forget to detach the power cables for the A/C.
Old 07-27-2006
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Pics are back up
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

gymway is an unknown quantity at this point
ANyone have an amp wiring tutorial for this car?

ANyone have an amp wiring tutorial for this car? Somthing that shows how to get the power wire through the firewall, and how to remove door panels, etc?
Old 12-18-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

You'll find a rubber grommet under the glovebox where the passenger's feet goes, right up on the firewall. You can poke a hole in it to put wires through, here is a 4 gauge and 10 gauge wire going through mine.

Quick Reply: DIY: Head unit install