I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
I agree silver !!

I did my install with alot of information from this site. It's proven a very valuable resource and one of the huge benefits the Internet offers.
Old 04-06-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
glad you guys like it!
Old 04-17-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
somebody should post pics on how to get the console apart with a manual
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

Plushhaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know if I can hook my xm up to the Tape/Aux button on the stock cd player? I'm gonna try it anyway tomorrow. Also it seems people would like pics of taking a coupe apart, I have an 03, I'll try to remember to take pics of it...
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
Honda is making it harder to replace factory radios and speakers, don't u think?
Old 05-04-2005
Banned

it gets harder to make a car that looks clean... in my old car there were exposed screws under the dash and everywhere.. you don't see anytihng exposed in our civics... its more about aesthetics than ease of taking **** apart. The cars are probably engineered for the Honda tech to R&I not the average DIY'er, not that is terribly hard anway
Old 05-06-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
the metra 99-7897 doesn't sit flush with my alpine deck. do you have any other suggestions other than that hideous thing on crutchfield? this

i might have to buy that one, actually, cause it seems that it fits alpine headunits better
Old 05-06-2005
Hey, I know Drew22Mader, the man with the sickest whip

Gixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to all
I have the one on from Crutchfield. I hate that thing. It doesn't fit right. Good thing I'm putting my monitor in this weekend so I don't have to look at it anymore...lol
Old 05-06-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
never mind. i got it to look somewhat flush.
Old 05-06-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Here is an easier way, U know where the pocket is under the radio? stick both of your hands in there and pull like hell. The whole piece containg the radio, temp contols, etc will come out as a whole piece :-) and it doenst break any clips or anything. It's really hard at first buy once you devirginize it, it will come off easier. ( it did this when running the power wire from my sirius to the radio)
Old 05-06-2005
Banned

but you also gotta take the 2 bolts out from below the HU
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

aus_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have followed all the above guidelines for removing the radio, but I just cannot seem to remove the centre piece containing the radio/heater controls etc. my car is a march 05 gli sedan and there seems to be some kind of glue holding the console onto the dash. any tips.
Old 06-05-2005
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
pry it out with a screwdriver or somethign small tipped
Old 06-09-2005
Banned

pull harder

a mlllion people tell me they cant force the bezel out, PULL HARDER!!!!! it comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! trust me
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

mblei is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for showing how to remove the HU. I have a question, I do not really want to replace my HU. I would like to keep the facotory HU but hook up a 600W amp and two 12" subs. I hear this is possible, is it easy? recommended?

I have a few reasons I want to do this:

1. I do not want to pay for the mounting kit and the wiring kit.

2. The mounting kit is ugly.

3. My car is leased and I want any mods as un-noticeable as possible.

I have 2 aftermarket HU's from my old cars, a Sony Xplod, and a Alpine. Both were back from 2000 or so. What would be the downfall in keeping the factory HU instead of putting one of these in?
Old 10-20-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by mblei
Thank you for showing how to remove the HU. I have a question, I do not really want to replace my HU. I would like to keep the facotory HU but hook up a 600W amp and two 12" subs. I hear this is possible, is it easy? recommended?

I have a few reasons I want to do this:

1. I do not want to pay for the mounting kit and the wiring kit.

2. The mounting kit is ugly.

3. My car is leased and I want any mods as un-noticeable as possible.

I have 2 aftermarket HU's from my old cars, a Sony Xplod, and a Alpine. Both were back from 2000 or so. What would be the downfall in keeping the factory HU instead of putting one of these in?
First of all, questions like this belong in a new thread. Second, search for your answer next time, this has been asked many times before.

Yes it's easy to do... I don't know about recommending it, I've never heard a car that has done that. The wiring kit and mounting kit are cheap, like 25-30 for both, why would you be opposed to that? The Metra 99-7865 mounting kit is a very close match to the stock finish, not ugly at all. It won't be noticable if you put in an aftermarket HU and reinstall your stock one later.
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

mblei is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for your help. I really apreciate it. In the future I will try searching harder and posting correctly. I will do as you suggest, I just don't really know what I am doing, but I will give it a try. I purchased instructions through crutchfield, so with that and your DIY posts I should figure it out. Thanks again!
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

k-man is an unknown quantity at this point
great DIY man!!!!!!!

I just finished removing everything the piece holding the stock HU and HVAC controls is PITA to remove!!

I ended up breaking two of the flimsy metal clips that are attached to the plastic tabs, can these be purchased at honda???? if they are im pretty sure they would be cheap...........there are like 5 still there im sure it will still fit ok but id rather have them all..........
Old 10-21-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by k-man
great DIY man!!!!!!!

I just finished removing everything the piece holding the stock HU and HVAC controls is PITA to remove!!

I ended up breaking two of the flimsy metal clips that are attached to the plastic tabs, can these be purchased at honda???? if they are im pretty sure they would be cheap...........there are like 5 still there im sure it will still fit ok but id rather have them all..........
Everyone always loses some of these clips. The first time I took my stock deck out, I lost 2 of them to. I'm not sure if you can just purchase the clips on its own from Honda, you might be able to though.

I think I only have like 2 or 3 clips holding mine in now.

On another note... look its my hand in a DIY...LOL.

Old 11-12-2005
O.O

delusional1 has a spectacular aura aboutdelusional1 has a spectacular aura aboutdelusional1 has a spectacular aura about
aweesome DIY thanks so much
Old 12-01-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Maybe my car is different or maybe I'm just an idiot. I pull on the piece with the cigarette lighter as suggested but nothing happens.....and I'm pulling very hard. It's a 2005 Civic DX coupe.....5 speed. Do I have to change how I do it? I'm stuck on step 1, please help! I'd like to do this tonight. Thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
I pulled the shift boot up and pulled the horseshoe pieces outwards, but they're getting snagged further up by the 12v outlet. Actually down a little lower at the base of that, at the front of the console. I tried doing the pull and push thing but nothing.
Old 12-02-2005
Banned

^^ post a pic of your console
Old 12-02-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I got it out after, just had to take the advice of "pull harder". Now I need a stubby Philips to get the bolts out.
Old 12-03-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I got everything done the way it was supposed to be done, got the console apart, got the 12v port out, removed the 2 bolts, and started pushing on the metal bar. There isn't enough peroxide in Alberta to fix the cuts on my hands and clean the blood off my dash. That bar doesn't move.
Old 12-04-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
HAHA dex, take a screwdriver wrape it in cloth
and pop open the top corners, it will be easy

then pop open the bottom right, and PULL PULL
Old 12-04-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Do I jam the screwdriver in from the front, or in behind?
Old 12-04-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
^^ In the front, but take great care because the dash material is easy to mark up. If you push from the back you can see where it will separate. Very tight fit the first time removed.
Old 12-04-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I can't see this being the best solution, you'd have to jam it in there pretty good. I'm afraid I'll break it.
Old 12-04-2005
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I was looking through a PDF version of some manual for the car, probably Helmes or something. It says to push out on the center panel bracket to release the nine clips. Anyone know what this is about? Pushing on that bar doesn't release anything. I tried to copy and paste from Adobe but no go.

Quick Reply: DIY: Head unit install