I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stock headunit and Ipod Hookup Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004
The Greatest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock headunit and Ipod Hookup Question

I have the stock CD player head unit back in my '02 EX sedan. Had an aftermarket unit but it got lifted a few months back. Anyway, does anyone know if its possible to hook up my Ipod Mini to the stock head unit? and if so, what do i need to do this. Id rather not have to pay Best Buy a ridiculous amount to do this and I already know how to remove the head unit and all that stuff, but is it basically plug and play or is there gonna be splicing wires, etc. Thanks guys. and if any of you have done this, id really appreciate any sort of DIY guide.
Old 10-01-2004
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
go to http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxacurahon.html and pick up an input converter, plug it into the changer spot on the rear of the stock deck, then go to best buy or another store and pick up the little rca adapters for the other end, cheap part, and there ya go, very eay, i have it in my civic. i have the tunedok for it too so it fits nicely in the cupholder.
Old 10-01-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Another way would be to use an FM modulator, but you know how to get to hte back of the HU anyhow, so I was just throwing that option out in the open, I wouldn't go this way though.
Old 10-01-2004
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
yea fm modulator sounds like crap IMO
Old 10-01-2004
Registered!!

Rx7_Fan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I agree, FM modulator sucks since there are so many stations with strong *** signals you're competing against. Best way is some AUX line.
Old 10-03-2004
The Greatest

ok, is this the part i need? ... Logjam part
and also did you need the switch or whatever they're talking about for the ground?
Old 10-03-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
You can also get the Blitzsafe adaptor which lets you use an alpine cd changer AND an aux input. I use this, and it works perfectly. And it just plugs in. No other wiring to do.
Old 10-08-2004
The Greatest

Thanks for the help. I picked up the part from logjam for like $55. It works great. I didnt do the negative/ground switch thing that they reccomend since i usually keep the Ipod plugged into the Cig charger, but if its not plugged into the charger, it does make a lot of static since its not grounded to the car. in the future ill look into it, for now im content. thanks again.
Old 10-08-2004
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
^^^Really? I got the P.I.E. adapter and didn't ground it either. I get no static whatsoever. In anycase, the P.I.E. or Blitzsafe adapter is the best way to go on the stock headunit. Cool.
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

Pinoypryd is an unknown quantity at this point
alright this might be a really stupid question but when i install this will it just start playin when i turn on the ipod or should my stock hu have a button for aux?
my stock hu has 2 buttons fm and cd so i can change from the radio to the cd player but i dont have an aux or cd changer delegation
Old 12-09-2004
(¯`·._.·[ I.Ç.E. BÕX ]·._.·´¯)

norek is on a distinguished road
check bestbuy.com, they have fm modulators designed for ipods.

i would personally go with that but am not sure about the quality.

i'm planning on putting one in my car very soon myself.

if you get near perfect sound quality (no static, all your highs and lows), then I'm looking forward to this instead of having to use a stupid wire!

Besides, a cheaper (unshielded) wire if close to or touching metal could cause it to pick up your electric system's whim and create a whinning sound in your speakers which is very annoying.
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

Pinoypryd is an unknown quantity at this point
alright this might be a really stupid question but when i install this will it just start playin when i turn on the ipod or should my stock hu have a button for aux?
my stock hu has 2 buttons fm and cd so i can change from the radio to the cd player but i dont have an aux or cd changer delegation

anybody?
Old 12-12-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
the answer to all your problems

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

STAY AWAY FROM THE FM MODULATOR!
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stock headunit and Ipod Hookup Question

I have the same issue. i have an aftermarket setup right now but i really like the look of a clean stock interior. im looking into a Neo iOn-2 iPod to Honda R2 right now and it looks very good for what im looking for. i have a harman kardon drive and play. its nice and all i really like it but i want to explore other options. i would get the basic rca adapter from the cd changer if i could somehow find a lead out of the cd player to tell the drive and play when to shut off, if that makes any sense.

for instance. if i want to quickly go from the cd im listening to, to my ipod for a while. i want the drive and play to turn on and when i leave to go to the radio or what not i want it to shut off. so i dont have to worry about switching modes and then shutting off and turning on the drive and play.

thats why im looking into the Neo iOn-2 cause it looks like it will turn on and shut off when i want it to.

is there any way i could tap into the 14 pin connector and get inputs from the deck? your advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by sentbacktothesu; 04-12-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...sterid=5453447
Old 04-13-2007
Registered!!

i dont want an fm transmitter. im looking for a hookup into the stock radio through the cd changer port, with power control for when the cd changer is selected and off when not selected. if its not possible ill just get the rca adapter for it. but i want to see what i can do before i just jump into something.
Old 04-13-2007
Registered!!

svtec is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HPlZdjy...0&I=469HO98AUX

I got this for my civic and it works awsome it just what i wanted. and you just connect it to the stock radio like you want. it is a great price too
Old 04-14-2007
Registered!!

yeah i looked into that. i actually bought a version of that but its the HON98 ipod to honda one, which gives me limited control over the ipod. im just waiting for it in the mail. it sounds like a nice setup. we'll see when it comes in.
Old 04-14-2007
Registered!!

svtec is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool!
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

I found an even better one. its the same one i ordered but this one gives you playlist control. which makes me mad cause i ordered the one which doesnt allow that... grr..

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98pcpod.html

its really cool and you playlist act like cd's so if you want to listen to a specific playlist just hit one of the preset buttons. im very impressed and knew something like this would come out eventually.