Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > I.C.E. & Electrical
Register Forgot Password?

I.C.E. & Electrical Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2004   #1
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Points: 109,102, Level: 100 Points: 109,102, Level: 100 Points: 109,102, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 1.4%
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute IronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What's the difference between "speakers" and "component speakers?"

I read the FAQ stickies.

What's the differnece?

Thanks.

Corporate Life Sucks

K&N FIPK II / HP Top Portion Header / Neuspeed Front Upper Strut Bar / RSX 19mm Rear Sway Bar
Generic Rear Upper Strut Bar / 15" Silver Rota Slipstreams (11.8lbs) / 205/60/15 Falken ZE-512's
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #2
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to HondaSales
components are usually the combination of a mid and a tweeter (separate). speakers are single, sometimes 1, 2, or 3 way. components are better if they are placed right.
Old 08-28-2004   #3
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Regularjoe
A speaker is just a speaker. One nothing extra or special. Then they start combining speakers w/ crossovers and tweeters. If you have a woofer and a tweeter thats a 2-way. If you have a woofer and 2 tweeters thats a 3-way.

Coax are more than one speaker where the one speaker is mounted on the other. The speakers are fixed and cannot be moved appart. They can come w/ crossovers even, but not very common. Usually these are 2-way, 3-way, or even 4-way. What this means is its usually a speaker with one or two tweeters fixed in the middle of the woofer.

Components are more than one speaker, where the speakers are positionable away from one another. These always have a crossover too. These are most always 2-way, occasionally 3-way.

This is a plain 3-way coaxial speaker, main woofer and 2 tweets in the middle. The key here is the center is fixed.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is a 2-way coaxial w/ a crossover. Still, the center is fixed but adjustable only in directions.

This is a 3-way component set. Here you can put any piece anywhere.
Old 08-28-2004   #4
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light HondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to HondaSales
well done regularjoe
Old 08-28-2004   #5
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
Activity: 54.5%
Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5%
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I've got regular speakers (2-way) in the door but also separate tweeters up top with their own crossover. The basic idea is to have tweeters higher up than the speaker/mid driver for a better sound stage.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #6
Registered!!

Asteroid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox
I've got regular speakers (2-way) in the door but also separate tweeters up top with their own crossover. The basic idea is to have tweeters higher up than the speaker/mid driver for a better sound stage.
where exactly are your tweeters located at??
Asteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #7
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute
They are surface mounted on the sail panel, angled towards the front due to its design. They still sound awesome.

Old 11-22-2004   #8
Ed
Registered!!

Points: 14,449, Level: 77 Points: 14,449, Level: 77 Points: 14,449, Level: 77
Level up: 99%, 1 Points needed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Ed will become famous soon enough Ed will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox

Are the highs harsh at all? Do you just dial down the treble?
Old 11-22-2004   #9
Super Moderator

Not at all. I actually have the highs turned up a bit. The tweeter in the 2-way speaker is turned down towards the floor tho, and the tweets are only running off deck power while the door speakers are amped.
Old 11-22-2004   #10
Premium Member

Points: 11,424, Level: 70 Points: 11,424, Level: 70 Points: 11,424, Level: 70
Level up: 44%, 226 Points needed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
shmik1 has disabled reputation
my components are amped and my tweeters just replace the stock ones (EX) and some songs that dont have much bass kill me.. but the quality is awesome..
shmik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #11
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to runner1738 Send a message via Yahoo to runner1738
is it better just to get speakers, if you are not planning on getting an amp to go with the components?
Old 12-17-2004   #12
I want a TSX!

sevenplaces is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner1738
is it better just to get speakers, if you are not planning on getting an amp to go with the components?
yes, you can even get some good quality. Amped components sound amazing though.

Official F1 fan club member #6
sevenplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #13
Ed
Registered!!

Points: 14,449, Level: 77 Points: 14,449, Level: 77 Points: 14,449, Level: 77
Level up: 99%, 1 Points needed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Ed will become famous soon enough Ed will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ed
Components just typically need more power, but generalizing that components are not suitable without an amp and coaxials don't need an amp is too vague. There are many Coaxials that sound a lot better with an amp. Most speaker kits, even components will work fine without an amp, but just about all speakers will sound better with an amplifier. The key would be to fine a set of speakers that are efficient enough to sound loud at low wattages.
Ed
Old 12-17-2004   #14
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all runner1738 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to runner1738 Send a message via Yahoo to runner1738
well i know im gonna get a 9831 for christmas so i was considering getting some alpine type s speakers to go with it front and rear but they are listed as fitting under crutchfields website, so i may haev to go with polk momo or something, i just thought that alpine is better with alpine, but the components are 200 and i dont feel like upgrading my battery right now as well, so i thought maybe just a good set of speakers would be better
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
coax , component , components , componet , deck , difference , front , honda , normal , power , rear , regular , speaker , speakers , whats