I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Rear Speaker Install: Coupe, w/o ripping interior apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
DIY: Rear Speaker Install: Coupe, w/o ripping interior apart

After doing the DIY on how to install 6 x 9's in the rear deck and literally tearing out the entire rear interior of my car, I was pretty pissed to find out that I couldn't even bolt the damn speakers down all the way because the magnets were hitting the trunk springs. Anyway after alot of frustration I decided to put the interior back together and seek some advice from one of my installer friends. He told me he'd put them in for me so I left the car with him thinking that he'd have to go through the same B.S that I went through. After about 30 min. I came back to check on him and HE WAS ALREADY DONE..WTF! I asked him if he had to gut the whole interior like I did and he said hell no. He told me what he did and this is what it was...

What you'll need:
Pair of Vise-Grips
Cordless drill or screwdriver
8 screws

1. Look underneath the rear deck (from inside the trunk) and find the white tabs that hold the rear deck in place...push those up so they pop out of place. I think theres like 3 in the back and 3 in the front. This should give you about 3 inches of play to move the rear deck up.

2. Get a pair of vise-grips and start unscrewing the (4) bolts that hold the 6 x 9's in place being careful not to damage the thread on the bolts as it will not come out if you strip or damage the thread.

3. After that's done you should be able to push the speaker up through the hole and manuever it so it comes back through the hole through the bottom...pushing the rear deck up as you do this gives you some room to move the speaker around...

4. After the speaker is out go ahead and just line up the new 6 x 9 to the factory holes and screw from the bottom up using the factory holes. (Note: The New 6x 9 is not gonna go back in the same way the factory one came back out.) you're basically mounting the 6 x 9 to the bottom of the rear deck.

5. Connect your speaker leads to the factory harness and you're all done..do the same to the other side. I recommend using a speaker harness. ($6 a pair)

6. Snap the tabs back in the holes by pushing down on the top of the rear deck.

You just saved yourself a whole bunch of labor and frustration by tearing the interior apart and possibly breaking something. Do it this way and you'll save yourself alot of trouble. If you ever need to put the factory 6 x 9's in just do the reverse.

Have fun
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

BRCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
That actually sounds like a really easy way to do it.

I assume that when mounting them this way, though, you definitely will have to remove your trunk springs, right?
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

civicmorph is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, that was also my question, wouldn't putting ur rear deck under the "rear deck panel" actually lower the speaker magnet even more towards the trunk springs? That would cost even more of a problem then dropping the speakers from the top of the deck down no?
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
ACtually, I had rear speakers in my car before I learned about the original DIY. having to experiment myself to remove the rear deck, I never removed the interior at all. Just the c-pillars, I was able to bend the rear deck enough and pop out enough of the side pieces to weasel the rear deck in and out of the car fully without having to remove the side panels.

and not removing the sidepanels means i dont have to remove the seats......

and not removing the seats means the entire back end of the car stays together, minus the c-pillars and rear deck.....
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
sure they're gonna rub against the trunk springs but it's not a big deal. I have had my 6 x 9's installed like that for over a year and have not noticed any problems. They scream louder than the 6.5's in front. If you need to you can "manuever" the trunk spring down to give you some room for the magnet, can't really bend it too much though.
Old 02-16-2004
that little dude
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
the way whiterabbit did it works, because i did it that once also, its kind of a bitch to do, but there is less work involved (especially if you are like me and have your amps mounted to the back seat)
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

i will prolly install air pistons for the trunk before I redo my speakers.
Old 02-19-2004
Since 2002 Baby!

chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by civicmorph
i will prolly install air pistons for the trunk before I redo my speakers.
You mean gas Shocks, But ya I need to put those in too. Looks more solid that the floppy trunk bars.
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

yea gas shocks, my bad
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

payamazadi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Rear Speaker Install: Coupe, w/o ripping interior apart

tried it, couldnt get past the step of getting the screws out, either with pliers or vise grips or whatever else tool makes sense to unscrew it. guess the screws are too rusty or crappy etc
Old 03-14-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

why r u guys trying make it harder than it is?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rear-deck.html

i took my 20 mins yesterday to take off. its was simple.
Old 03-14-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

20 mins wow, only took me 10 haha but ive done it more than a few times.
Old 03-14-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

I'm just unlucky with this crap. My rear deck has been off once. The first time I did it, I cracked it. I'm scared to take it off again. Anyone have a rear deck for sale cheap? lol