DIY Front speaker Replacement with stock spacer

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
DIY Front speaker Replacement with stock spacer

Ok so one of my speakers blew out and I had a new pair of Pioneer 6.5 speakers that will hold me over till I upgrade the rest of my system. If you don't want to buy a spacer or wait for one in the mail here is a quick easy guide on adding new speakers using your stock ones.

Warning..if you do this mod your stock speakers will not be reusable..don't start this if you want to keep your stock speakers..
These are the tools i used..

First thing you need to do is take the door panel off..Its two screws and a bunch of clips..(i didn't take pictures for this part as there are DIY already covering that).

So once you get the door panel off there is one screw that holds the speaker in..Take it out and then using a flat head screw driver you can pry it off..if you have a hard time just puncture the speaker and pull it out since you will be cutting it later anyway..There are two prongs that hold it on the bottom..so just pull up and out..

Ok now you have the speaker out....Cut where you see all the arrows..(used dremel tool not in picture above..)

Once it is all cut out then you can cut the speaker itself away from the rest of the plastic...

Now you can take the mount on the left and use it for your new speaker..use the door screw to make sure you have proper placement of the mounting screws on new speaker..

3 arrows show where i screwed the new speaker to the factory spacer..the circled bolt is the factory bolt i put in first to get proper placement of new speaker(only the arrows are holding the new speaker on to the spacer at the moment.

Now when i disconnected the speaker i just cut this connector off and spliced new wire to the factory wire but you dont have to do it that way if you dont want to..you can solder it or get connectors for your wires..which is the recommended way..(i just did this as a quick fix).

once you have it wired up the way you want go ahead and just install the new speaker and factory mount back to the door..

Put door panel back on and your done..