Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here.

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epass is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold air intake

What is the purpose of a cold air intake? I had a friend tell me about it and I'm tryin to research it more. I don't have much experience working on cars and am trying to learn. Would it increase fuel consumption?
Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cold air intake

It won't really change anything. You might get a little more noise when you are on the throttle, but other than that, it won't change much. Maybe .5 mpg more, and a disputable 1 to 2 horsepower.
Old 01-14-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It's purpose is to allow more air into the engine. Removes the restrictions that are on the stock intake. More air means more fuel and more horsepower. Not a lot of horsepower but a few. Increases throttle response and makes the engine louder. I have a cold air and noticed a drop in mpg.
Old 01-14-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

make noise.
suck air from water puddles like a thirsty camel after 1 week in the desert.
give you 2 DP (dog power)
put more space in the engine compartment to try to squeeze your fingers trying to reach that darned nut that fell.
put your filter right in the position to get all the grime and dirt from the roads.