Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Hard Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf3r8z is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard Suspension

I have a 2008 Civic lx that almost feels like it has no suspension when going over sharp bumps. Something I read or someone I talked to said that because the suspension has so little give to it that it should periodically be retightened(presumably meaning that the sharp jolts to it loosen bolts, etc.) Is this right and is it even possible?
Old 08-07-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hard Suspension

How long has this been going on?

Put your knee in the middle of the front bumper. Bounce the car with all your weight. Can you move the car up and down?

Repeat this at the rear bumper. Can you bounce the car?

What's the air pressure in the tires?
Old 08-12-2014
Registered!!

Air pressure in tires is correct. Back bumper drops almost 4" when I push on it. Front bumper barely moves, maybe 1".
Old 08-12-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rear end sounds like it might be too soft....How many times will it bounce after you push it down hard? I'm thinking possibly 'blown' rear shocks.

Need to compare to a known good car.
Cruise the local Walmart parking lot, find another identical car to compare the bounce test with?

Raise the rear of your car, see if the rear shocks have leaked fluid? They should be bone dry, and not caked with dirt.
Old 08-13-2014
Registered!!

Irregardless of how soft the rear shocks are, what I'm complaining about, I think, is the front shocks. They're the ones that crack my teeth every time I go over a good bump at more than 5 or 10 miles per hour. You are implying that this is normal. Wish I could do something to make it better.
Old 08-13-2014

It's not a Buick or a Toyota, those cars have soft suspension. (I got out of a Park Avenue and into a Civic, it took me over a year to get used to it.)

These cars are stiff, so compare to another known good identical car.. on both ends.

I'm not a large person, my weight doesn't make these cars bounce much at all LOL.